• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Big Ego+ Portable DAC & HP Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 88 69.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

bmwr75

I tried to use one on my Windows PC. It kept disconnecting (i.e., no audio output to my desktop amp). Had to unplug the USB connection to the computer and plug it back in to get it to work again. Eventually just put another USB DAC in its place due to the aggravation.

hestejoe

If you don't need Toslink, should you even expect this to offer more than your onboard jack in either your phone or pc?

digicidal

Major Contributor
If you don't need Toslink, should you even expect this to offer more than your onboard jack in either your phone or pc?
Depending on how competently they filtered out noise... no (especially with phones). PC would have a huge variance from ultra-budget boards to higher-end offerings, but also potentially from number/type/location of fans, quality of PSU, etc. I think almost every recent phone would best this (or at least match it).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In all reality this is pretty terrible considering the price. SINAD @ 141db for TOSLINK? I didn't realize it could read anything that high @amirm or is this because it is a digital signal?
Correct. That is basically the dynamic range of 24 bit signal (144 dB).

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The USC to Optical output is a great idea, if they improve the USB port to type C can be much better.

sethr

I've been using the TOSLINK on my computers' motherboard to connect to my WXA-50; I've noticed there's a difference between the optical outs of my old motherboard (~11 yrs old) and new so I am considering getting this strictly for the perfect optical outs. I wonder if there's a cheaper alternative available, but I would certainly pay more for a product with good headphone outs in addition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom