• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva BasX A-100 Review (stereo amplifier)

Ezees

Hi guys.

Well, truth be told, here's my experience - please note I'm not much of a number guy, I just do and don't consider numbers at the same time so I'm very neutral and indifferent about how things show on paper. I still account for it in my decision making, but I don't want to be myopic about it.

The following is my personal experience - it is exactly, and very clearly what I heard. I'm mostly and EDM listener so consider that I would have tried pretty much across the whole frequency range when testing the Emotiva BasX-A100.

I have the BasX A100. I also have an ifi micro DSD (the non-black one).
Yes, I got it after zeo's raving video. I installed the jumpers too. Yes, I got it in November of 2017, and it was a new purchase, around $230ish I believe.

Funny as it is - and I've used the 6XX and my EMU Teaks and then one odd more cans to compare, just some light comparisons.

At some mid level volume matching, the ifi was much more dead (in the noise-floor department), yet it had more bass dynamics and punch - MORE than the unleashed 50watts a channel monster.

Now don't get me wrong - the emotiva is a fantastic build, feels just underpriced (for the quality and the components used). But given any chance to opt for this or the ifi to be used solely as a headphone amp, I think I would take the ifi.

Yes, the placebo does make you want to use the emotiva - you look at a big arse dial lit up, you can see a big CHUNK of metal where your cans' wire is running into - you pat yourself on the back that you grabbed this monstrosity while it was still the big new thug and the talk of the town, and u know you're controlling a class A nuclear warhead that's sitting right there on your desk when you delicately and fearfully turn that big round knob up, one little pinch at a time - but it's mostly in the mind.

The ifi is simply the better amp. In every way. Such a small footprint in comparison, yet a more COMMANDING sound and control. Mind you, this thing is also bonkers when in turbo mode - and I think it wasn't even turbo but normal mode that I compared the two in.

I will be back with my amps in a few days. I will also be able to compare this with my SMSL SH-9 and have a wider shootout. I will make another post after I have done some more comparisons and tests. But I still stand by my current thoughts and opinions.

But I'm just saying - for purely headphone amps, you can do much, MUCH better, if that is your focus. Even the ifi - even the black labels, aren't the final word in amps anymore. There's prob $150 headphone amps which would be way, WAY cleaner now. There's so much more amps out there now (putting the ifi to shame too) in the standards that they are available today.

I would now be using this primarily with some speakers TBH and just plug in cans on rare occasions for the fun of it. Of course, the BasX ownership alone gives you some bragging rights. You have (on paper), a SpaceX rocket on your hands that you call a headphone amp. I want to feel good about it. I tell myself that. But I also have to be honest with what I'm actually hearing - cuz that's where the buck really stops, doesn't it.

I could probably recommend the emotiva for speakers - and as a dual speaker/headphone amp ONLY if your budget is so tight that you need to kill two birds with one stone.

For everyone else, consider this a speaker amp - and consider your options there too. Headphone amp only? You can do much better.
:

Yeah, that's just where I was, needing power for my Fostex t50rp's but not trying to spend too much for not enough power - and needing to drive speakers too. Yes I can now do better for a headphone amp but it's still in my desktop system - for it's versatility with cans and speakers. I still call it a good value for it's versatility vs cost. BTW, for me it's sounds much better with a preamp in front of it. I'm using my Gustard h20 as a preamp and it's much smoother and quieter now (used to have an A90, but returned it). Just overall better.

Last edited:

mr.at

:

Yeah, that's just where I was, needing power for my Fostex t50rp's but not trying to spend too much for not enough power - and needing to drive speakers too. Yes I can now do better for a headphone amp but it's still in my desktop system - for it's versatility with cans and speakers. I still call it a good value for it's versatility vs cost. BTW, for me it's sounds much better with a preamp in front of it. I'm using my Gustard h20 as a preamp and it's much smoother and quieter now (used to have an A90, but returned it). Just overall better.

Yes it is versatile, no doubt. But I just wanted to highlight - if you're looking for a cleaner [headphone] amp that may also still be more powerful (in terms of quality and quantity, really, like the ifi still has better and more low end, with noise-floor that's way lower than the emotiva). The sheer power the emotiva has simply means that the noise-floor will get higher as you turn the knob up, and it may get uncomfortably loud, to the point of being dangerously and harmfully loud, yet you will still may get sound that may be thinner and with more white-noise than you would, another [better] headphone amp.

If someone still needs a swiss-knife, than yes, Emotiva Bas-X A100 would be a good speaker/headphone class AB amp consideration.

Other than that - I still commend Emotiva, the company, to make available fantastic value propositions across the board when we talk of speakers, subs and amps. The design and value language the company has is pretty damn good.

Ezees

Yes it is versatile, no doubt. But I just wanted to highlight - if you're looking for a cleaner [headphone] amp that may also still be more powerful (in terms of quality and quantity, really, like the ifi still has better and more low end, with noise-floor that's way lower than the emotiva). The sheer power the emotiva has simply means that the noise-floor will get higher as you turn the knob up, and it may get uncomfortably loud, to the point of being dangerously and harmfully loud, yet you will still may get sound that may be thinner and with more white-noise than you would, another [better] headphone amp.

If someone still needs a swiss-knife, than yes, Emotiva Bas-X A100 would be a good speaker/headphone class AB amp consideration.

Other than that - I still commend Emotiva, the company, to make available fantastic value propositions across the board when we talk of speakers, subs and amps. The design and value language the company has is pretty damn good.
Understood about the noise. When I use it I set it at about 50%~75% on the dial and use my preamp to adjust volume on the fly. Seems to play really quiet like that while driving my Hifiman Arya and my other cans.

buzwork

Picked up a pair of gently used (immaculate in appearance and performance so far) A100 to use for powering my 4 rear surrounds (surround left/right & surround back left/right).

Great bargain amps, especially used at a significantly discounted price.

I have not yet noticed any warm up anomalies that impact watching movies.

Form factor is awesome, too.

buzwork

Emotiva has just released the A2M, an updated version of the A-100. I wonder how the measurements will compare?

https://emotiva.com/collections/frontpage/products/basx-a2m-stereo-flex-amplifier?aff=9
Disappointed they removed the analog output pair on the A2M.

Looks like they also went away from the A100's big torroidal transformer in the A2M.

Last edited:

IBJamon

I use a voltage divider circuit on my A100's jumpered headphone out, and it solves most noise I hear on my headphones. Only on my Fostex planars do I use them in direct mode (no voltage divider adapter), or with my speakers. I don't know why but my Koss ESP headphones sound better than through the A100s than direct from my Focusrite audio interface, though after reading this review, that really shouldn't be the case. Can't explain why!

Spaceman

I recently got a pair of Hifiman HE560s and wanted to do the jumper. However, while I have my boxes I can't locate the jumper. Anyone know how I can get a new jumper? Not sure if it's just a super common part or not. Thanks!

AVKS

I recently got a pair of Hifiman HE560s and wanted to do the jumper. However, while I have my boxes I can't locate the jumper. Anyone know how I can get a new jumper? Not sure if it's just a super common part or not. Thanks!
Contacting Emotiva will be the easiest place to start.

PurpaSmart

I was using the a100 for several years for my headphones and my Elac B6's. I eventually got tired of hearing the super high noise floor and replaced it with a topping L50. I couldn't be more happy with that upgrade. No more noise! As for the Elacs, I ended up moving them off my desk since they took up too much space on my desk, and then got the Edifier MR4's.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was using the a100 for several years for my headphones and my Elac B6's. I eventually got tired of hearing the super high noise floor and replaced it with a topping L50. I couldn't be more happy with that upgrade. No more noise! As for the Elacs, I ended up moving them off my desk since they took up too much space on my desk, and then got the Edifier MR4's.
Are you referring to noise with your headphones? I have the original a-100 miniX and a pair of Elac B6 as well and I don't think I can hear a noise floor at a normal distance.

Kegemusha

I dont hear any nose either, I have high sensitivity speakers and with volume at high levels, nothing, same with my headphones.

mr.at

What you guys on about? There is noise, definitely, all the more so with the jumpers installed [resistors bypassed].

It's fine for speakers, but on headphones, you can surely notice it when nothing's playing. And the more sensitive the gear you put in, the more you'll hear it. With some gear, to uncomfortably loud levels.

That said, of course the power is almost infinite on this when you're using headphones. I can feel that my other, 'headphone' amps begin to give in in comparison.

When music is playing, you don't get distracted by the noise-floor, so at that moment, I just love this thing and how effortlessly it makes [high impedance/low sensitivity] headphones sing.

PurpaSmart

Are you referring to noise with your headphones? I have the original a-100 miniX and a pair of Elac B6 as well and I don't think I can hear a noise floor at a normal distance.
I dont hear any nose either, I have high sensitivity speakers and with volume at high levels, nothing, same with my headphones.
The noise floor was clearly audible on a variety of headphones. Eg (M40x, M1060, HE 4XX, SHP9500).

Kegemusha

I retract what I said, on speakers, I can not hear the noise.
With headphones yes, was long time ago I did listen to headphones with this amp, so yes is an audible noise, but it get masked away when music is on.

wje

Forum Donor
I retract what I said, on speakers, I can not hear the noise.
With headphones yes, was long time ago I did listen to headphones with this amp, so yes is an audible noise, but it get masked away when music is on.
Were you using the headphone jack or speaker taps for your headphone connection?

Mythy

Hey everyone, I have a Emotiva XPA-200 amplifier and I have been considering upgrading. I noticed the emotiva amplifiers (like the one in this review) have poor performance across there lower end units. Would I notice an audible difference switching to another amp such as the Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A?

I have been swapping speakers (SVS ultras, Polk lsim 706, KEF R3) then I bought a few DACS (Questlye CMA400i, Audeze Deckard, Burson Conductor 3 Reference) yet I am still unsatisfied. I just want clean and clear audio without any unnatural warmth or woman's voices sounding manly or mens muffled. Just want crisp clean audio lol I'm starting to think it's this amp... I listen in a nearfield desk setup on a PC

Count Dacula

Just FYI, that S202 is rated for 8 Ohm speakers only. Will it work with 6/4 Ohm speakers without issues?

The Emotiva can handle 4 Ohm.

I ran a 202 long and hard today with Polk Monitor 40 II and an unpowered (Polk?) sub. It did get warm, but it worked fine, and sounded really good. It did a better job compared to the vintage SONY whatever 50 ES that's like 70 watts @ .8%

I have to figure out if this set-up is going to work before I haul it off to the vacation house in Florida. I don't want to be disappointed or have a problem. I responded here because I didn't see a RS-202 thread. I'm not qualified to start one either.

Top Bottom