• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva BasX A-100 Review (stereo amplifier)

m8o

Forum Donor
When I see both sides of the fundamental riddled with spikes Vlad the Impaler would consider excessive...

tenor.gif
Well played! :D

Taxi

I'm sad to see this amp measure so badly. I've been using the older version for about 5 years, powering Axiom M80 speakers from an Integra DTC 9.8 processor, and I've never had any complaints about the sound. I doubt my older mini-x A100 measures too differently than this newer BasX, but who knows?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sad to see this amp measure so badly. I've been using the older version for about 5 years....and I've never had any complaints about the sound.

I don't think the measurements are so bad. I would expect most owners think it sounds just fine, and the owner reviews and its popularity over many years back that up.

With speakers of average efficiency, the only thing I think might show up in a blind A/B test with a better measuring amp, is the channel imbalance, but even that should be inaudible unless your sample is worse than what Amir measured. An interesting alternative with similar form factor is the Dayton Audio APA150. The Dayton has a bit more power and no headphone jack, but they measure pretty close. The Dayton APA150 costs $156 on sale now, it it too has hundreds of owners who are very pleased with it.

Neither amp would be my first choice if I was starting from scratch. But if you already own it, I am pretty sure replacing it with an amp that measures lower in noise and distortion would provide mostly psychological benefits.

ta240

Major Contributor
I wonder how this and others compare to the $149.99 Yamaha RS-202, currently $99.99 for a refurb at A4L

I'm really curious about the Yamaha but with all the "don't use any 4 ohm load" warnings on it, I wonder if it would overheat during the testing. Since the 4 ohm warning is probably due to lacking the cooling to handle it. The similarly priced Sony couldn't handle the testing regiment but out of thousands of reviews has very few negative ones; so people aren't killing those in regular use. Even if the Yamaha doesn't handle sinewave inputs it would likely do fine for long term listening for the average user.

Lotus97

Isn't it amazing what marketing will do for a product?
you can have the best transformer in the world inside an amp but if not properly build and designed it can be far worse than this one. Thing is for the money of this amp the performance is not bad at all imo, and there are AVR receivers in $3k range with more distortion than this amp. The transformer in that Emotiva is not high end and it is cheap and yet effective for the price, therefore i approve the writings on the transformer.

peanuts

dont like the form factor, half width but full 15" deep. deeper than many surround receivers. would prefer the opposite.

iraweiss

I have a mini-x a-100 that I purchased in 2013. The power switch is in the back. Does anyone have a clue if my amp is better or worse than the current version?
Specs are below. Manual is too big to attach.

Analog inputs: Unbalanced (RCA); one stereo pair
Analog outputs (loop): Unbalanced (RCA); one stereo pair
Input sensitivity (for full output): 600 mV (8 ohm load)
Speaker outputs: 5-way binding posts; one stereo set
Minimum recommended load impedance: 4 ohms (which equals one 4 ohm load or two paralleled 8 ohm loads per channel)
Power output: 50 watts / channel RMS; continuous into 8 ohms; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; <0.05% THD; both 2 channels driven (FTC)
80 watts / channel RMS; continuous; into 4 ohms
S/N ratio: > -95 dB (A-weighted)
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz + / - 0.08 dB at 1 watt (- 1 dB at 80 kHz)
Front panel controls and indicators: Volume; analog potentiometer with machined aluminum knob, illuminated Status ring, and pinpoint
Position LED (Illuminated ring changes color to indicate status)
Back panel controls: AC Power switch
Line Voltage (protected slide switch)
Power Mode switch (On, Off, Auto)
Trigger and control: Trigger Input: 5-12 VDC
Auto-sense of audio input signal
Trigger Output: 12 VDC 120 mA max
Protection: The Mini-X A-100 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions. If a fault occurs, the Mini X will return to Standby mode and the illuminated ring (around the Volume control) will flash Amber to
indicate a fault condition.
Power requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz (selectable by rear-panel switch)
Dimensions: 8.5” wide x 3.125” high x 15” deep (includes feet, binding posts, and Volume knob)
Weight: 11.8 lbs ; 15 lbs (packaged)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I have a mini-x a-100 that I purchased in 2013. The power switch is in the back. Does anyone have a clue if my amp is better or worse than the current version?
From this link:

Visitors,

The Emotiva Mini-X A-100 is no longer in production, and will not be re-ordered. It has been replaced by the Emotiva BasX A-100.

The BasX A-100 is a direct replacement for the Mini-X A-100 in all applications. It is functionally and cosmetically similar, but the performance is improved and some features have been added.

Added Features:
  • Front panel headphone jack with auto-switching (main amp outputs muted)
  • Headphone output is driven from the Class-AB X-Series-derived amplifier
  • Internal jumper provides selectable direct drive of low-sensitivity headphones or driving of conventional headphones thru a dropping resistor.
Improved Performance:
  • The amplifier signal-to-noise ratio has been significantly improved, through intensive tweaking of the design
  • Driving of conventional headphones via dropping resistor mimics the performance characteristics of desirable vintage electronics when interacting with a headphone load. Headphones which rely on electrical damping may experience a beneficial tonal shift when driven using the dropping resistor, while headphones with acoustical damping as the dominant damping mechanism (flatter impedance curve) will experience less of this change.
Please feel free to discuss the new BasX A-100 amplifier in the BasX amplifier subforum.

Kind regards,

Emotiva Audio

It only has the two 10000mF filter caps and they are "emotiva" (hehe) branded. I'm wonder home much of that power supply noise will be cleaned up by swapping those out for some decent 20000mf or 30000mf caps. It honestly doesn't look half bad otherwise.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I too don't have this amp, though I almost bought it (and its predecessors) several times over the years. As it was, it was generally not available, new, when I was interested in pulling the trigger. The 6 minute warm-up would be no issue to me. Channel imbalance could have been an issue for my use, but speaker imbalance would likely be as much or more, in which case switching left and right speakers might improve that. Finally, this channel imbalance should vary unit-to-unit, and might be better, typically. That said, I would have expected better - maybe half as much - for worst-case, 1% resistor tolerances on two feedback dividers.

Midwest Blade

I bought one 18 months ago as a back up while my gear was in the shop. Worked okay and then used with some old bookshelf speakers as a third system. Currently all packed up, looks like it may just stay that way for awhile.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
is it me or for 220$ this is a bargain? you get a warranty and similar performance to DIY Class D at this price range. The only devestating fault is the gain difference between channels, but again i doubt it's audible if it's below 1 dB.

Ita just you. The cheap Sony STR-DH190 beat this Emotiva A-100. The Sony has more power, more features and cost $100 less. There's been a few Emotiva products tested on here none of which have been very impressive even the A-500 was nothing speacial. Looking over the BasX line the amplifiers all look rather similar and have similar specs listed by Emotiva. Not regretting selling my Emotiva A-300 now. It most likely performs about the same as the A-100 and A-500. For close to the same money there's hypex ncore amps out there that perform WAY better than the A-300. I'm skeptical of Emotiva now. I'm wondering if they're a bit of a internet sensation the last few years. I'd like to see a v2 of the BasX line Emotiva, lets get that SINAD up another 10db at least.

escape2

Ita just you. The cheap Sony STR-DH190 beat this Emotiva A-100. The Sony has more power, more features and cost $100 less.
Except for the size. If someone needs/wants a narrower form factor with traditional Class A/B amplification, then that would be one area where the A-100 could still be considered.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheap Sony STR-DH190
I provided warranty service for Sony for some years and the lowest model of receivers where infamous for blowing the power supply transformer. The transformer was priced at ~$160.00 and so repair was not economically feasible. I don't have experience with the newest entry level model of Sony receiver but I suggest going with a Yamaha R-S202 if at all possible. The price on the Yamaha is very good.

escape2

I suggest going with a Yamaha R-S202 if at all possible. The price on the Yamaha is very good.
Just FYI, that S202 is rated for 8 Ohm speakers only. Will it work with 6/4 Ohm speakers without issues?

The Emotiva can handle 4 Ohm.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just FYI, that S202 is rated for 8 Ohm speakers only. Will it work with 6/4 Ohm speakers without issues?

The Emotiva can handle 4 Ohm.
Don't recommend using 4 Ohm speakers with the Yamaha. I was suggesting the Yamaha over the Sony but not comparing it to the Emotiva. :D

rmsanger

I came here to see if the HP output @ 33 and 50 ohms with the jumpers enabled to ludicrious mode. Are they really oututting the 16 watts+ between these ohm ranges?

Last edited:

RoyB

Forum Donor
I sent my BasX A100 back yesterday. Just under the 30 day trial (Cost me $41.00 to ship it back !!!).....But I had to. A friend of mine lent me a well tuned Yamaha M45. The difference between this amp and the Emotiva was stunning. Using three different speakers, KEF 103.2, B&W DM601 and ELAC 2.0 6.5.....along with a B&W subwoofer. The Emotiva had a very strange midrange/vocal situation. All the vocals sounded like they were singing 5-6' behind the band and using a megaphone......All of this totally disappeared with the Yamaha......All this time I thought it might be the Andover Sondbird $129 streamer I'm using.......Nope, did it with my laptop hooked to a Schiit DAC and my phone through headphone jack and through DAC. It was the amp. Too bad because for $229 it did everything else right.....Very quiet, lots of power even with the KEF 103.2 and the transferable warrantee was a closer.
Today I picked up a set of Magnapan MMG speakers from a fellow on Facebook Marketplace. He was auditioning them with a much larger Emotiva amplifier (Not sure which model)....Although we only listened for a short while, I did not notice any of this artifact I describe above.....
Next week I pick up a VTA ST120 Dynaco tube kit amp......Will be fun to see how that stacks up against the Yamaha and some of my friends $5000+ amps.....

cyberzigot

Just for comparison sake, on the far side of the world from where this amp is made, it costs around $350. This amp does has a decent following due to reviews and accessible price. But I am really glad I went with Aiyima A07 for just $51 power supply included. This is a no brainer. Most would not even give the Aiyima a second look.

Top Bottom