• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ - Sounds like sh*t

JayGould

I just got these speakers after reading the reviews and measurements here. I don't like them. They hurt my ears. I have tried reducing treble using eq but they are still bright. It feels like they are thin and sharp. No style of music sounds good. I have them connected to an AIYAMA A07 amp and a Klipsch subwoofer.

The Bose Companion PC speakers that were replaced sounded better to me. Sure, they didn't go as loud but the sound was much "fuller" and they didn't hurt my ears whenever a guitar solo came on.

What do I do?

Also it seems the speakers still try to play bass even though I have the sub connected (although through an AUX-out). Can I digitally make them stop try to play anything below 80 Hz?

Wendigo79

Could be you amp? I have had similar experiences with cheap amps. (Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 and Dali Spektor 2. Super bright treble. Fixed with Yamaha AS-501)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What you need to do is listen to them off-axis (no toe in), 20 degrees seem to be the flattest.

SPL%20Horizontal.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen off-axis, or EQ down that on-axis stuff between 900Hz and 3kHz. Taken with a dip around 300Hz, that can't sound good.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Can I digitally make them stop try to play anything below 80 Hz?
A MiniDSP or active crossover has to be hooked-up before the amplifier so the volume control on the amplifier wouldn't affect the subwoofer and you'd have to control the volume before it goes into the crossover.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The A7 is load dependent, so will probably be a bit hot already. Dial down the highs a bit more. Also the mid at 1.5 kHz may need a bit o lowering (broad band EQ needed). Possibly a bit of bass boost will suit you.

Otherwise see the EQ Amir applied in the review as a basis.

There are plenty of free EQ tools out there to try.

Last edited:

norman bates

Forum Donor
bright may be a resonance.

Even if it is eq'd flat, it still rings down (in time).
I read of this a long time ago on a hivi b3s full range driver.

900 - 1,500hz looks a little rough on it.

If I remember, it was box noise leaking out of the port.
Add stuffing ?

Could be no midbass sitting 10' away also (5" crossing to a sub maybe 100hz).

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just got these speakers after reading the reviews and measurements here. I don't like them. They hurt my ears. I have tried reducing treble using eq but they are still bright. It feels like they are thin and sharp. No style of music sounds good. I have them connected to an AIYAMA A07 amp and a Klipsch subwoofer.

Send the speakers and the amplifier back for a refund.

Buy some speakers you like the sound of. Forget the ASR reviews, the EQ, the 'need' for a subwoofer etc. Go listen to a range of speakers wherever you can. Note the amplification they use.

Sets your sights higher, save up or spend the money to get something decent. Otherwise your HiFi journey will be a bunch of baby steps in the shallow end of the pool which ultimately end up costing you a whole lot heartache and waste a lot of money.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Send the speakers and the amplifier back for a refund.

Buy some speakers you like the sound of. Forget the ASR reviews, the EQ, the 'need' for a subwoofer etc. Go listen to a range of speakers wherever you can. Note the amplification they use.

Sets your sights higher, save up or spend the money to get something decent. Otherwise your HiFi journey will be a bunch of baby steps in the shallow end of the pool which ultimately end up costing you a whole lot heartache and waste a lot of money.
Agreed, easier just to grab bmr, r3 , m106, sierra 2ex now rather than later...

Top Bottom