• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Airmotiv 5 problem

airs

Hi all, hoping someone can assist with troubleshooting an issue I've encountered with my Airmotiv 5 monitor. It is emitting a strange crackling sound. Please see this video and let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

OP
A

airs

Sounds like a bad amplifier to me. Transistors get noisy that way. If you have a pair and can get into them, you can swap the amps and see if the problem moves or stays in the same unit.

Thanks @amirm - I do have a pair so will try and swap the amps.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Failures like this are usually temperature sensitive as well. So if you have it open, you can use a hair dryer on hot and blow the different sections of the electronics and see what makes it worse (or better).

Bishamon

I am having exactly the same issue with one of my Airmotiv 5 speakers. It started randomly, and then went away for several months, but has since returned. I was going to try and take apart the speaker and see if there is anything noticeably loose, but if someone else is having the same issue, it could be beyond something I could easily fix myself. Emotiva said they would take a look, but given that they are outside of warranty, the cost wasa minimum $100 (if I remember correctly), plus the cost to ship the speaker from Canada. Add in the fact that it may not produce an issue when checked, I could pay $150+ and end up with the problem returning soon after. :(

Top Bottom