• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EMI, RFI, DC, AC what's the science when running power parallel to interconnects

as-lot

I kind of understand, on a very basic level, the issue with running interconnects next to power cables. This of course mostly concerns mains cables, i.e. 230V AC.
Yet, because of the cabinet we have, I have my a mains cable running alongside an interconnect for approx. 20cm. I've never noticed any hum or other issue. Maybe just lucky?

But what's completely unclear to me is how this applies to lower voltage DC. My current setup necessitates running my TT's phono cable and power cable to its external PSU alongside each other for approx. 30cm. Again, I've never noticed any issue. Lucky tiwce?

Now when I receive my new phono stage (external PSU), in the ideal setup (convenience, easthetics & keeping the phono cable as short as possible), the same interconnect as mentioned in the first paragrah would also be running alongside the power cable between the phono stage and its PSU for approx. 50cm. Is this fine?

Can someone explain whether with low voltage DC there's an issue at all, and if so, whether in practice it matters / is audible? Thank you.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Interference expert Bill Whitlock (Jensen Transformers retired) writes that 3 inches is all you need. That's assuming that your interconnects are well shielded. Big power transformers are another story.
see page 90

An Overview of Audio System Grounding and Interfacing
byBill Whitlock,
President Jensen Transformers, Inc.Life Fellow, Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member, Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers

http://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf

OP
A

as-lot

Thanks, that looks like a really interesting doc. Will definitely read, but from quickly scanning it mostly speaks of the usual AC power cord, DC isn't discussed. Or is that because it's simply not an issue with DC?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
At home, no. Enjoy your rat's nest. In pro settings, yes because of the amount of cabling.

Regardless try to use balanced rather than singled-end interconnects.

Top Bottom