• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELEKIT TU-8500 preamplifier ???

RoyB

Forum Donor
This tube preamplifier, Elekit TU-8500 seems like the best deal going for a quality tube preamplifier. Comes from Japan as opposed to China. Seems like Victor Kung offers great support. You can buy it as a kit to save a few dollars (under $600 depending on options).
Why not more discussion here and other forums?
Anyone have one that could offer a short review?
What are the alternatives that I'm missing?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I built one of these two years ago and love it.

It gets excellent reviews online, but of course these are people who listen with their ears and are immune to measurements. These are also people who are willing to pay for a "NOS carbon resistor upgrade."

I have been very happy with it, and would love to see some measurements, but I use it every day so parting with it is not an option.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've purchased a couple of Elekits from VK and the experience with both VK and the kits was positive (Does he ever sleep? I've gotten emailed replies from him at odd hours). The circuits themselves seem pretty conventional and I wouldn't expect any state of the art wonders. For me, the attraction are the tidy implementations which eliminate most point to point wiring and the professional-looking end results.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 8500 is definitely NOT complicated, but that doesn't mean it won't test well.

The kit design is amazing. A lovely piece of design and super easy and fun to build. I do like to work on point to point things as well. In fact I found a NOS Heathkit tube amp from 1966 that I plan to build soon.

Murrfk

I have just assembled one of these, and it is paired with a TU-8200 Amp and MarkAudio 10p full range drivers in the FHXL cabinets. I think it sounds great.

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom