• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electrostatic speakers?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The hell with the speakers, tell me about the shotgun.

My grandfathers. I reckon it's about 100 years old. He bought it from a long gone out of business hardware store in Knoxville, at a time when hardware stores sold whatever tool a man needed to get the job done. GF owned and worked a small farm, so it was helpful for the occasional four legged varmint. Back then, two legged varmints knew to keep away, because everyone back then owned a shotgun.

Unlike Jed Clampett, he never saw crude bubbling up, after a near miss.

I'd be afraid to use it, with a modern load, given its age. A memento from a time that has passed us by.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am lucky enough to have a wife who is also very tolerant about such things and is even interested in good sound herself. For example, she had no problem with a pair of Altec A7 Vott in our living room. That's just by the way:

index.php
Well of course. Who on Earth would object to A7s? :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Were the Nines electrostatic, or were they magnetic, like a Magnepan?
Electrostatic. I remember the high-voltage transformers sitting there..

Dismayed

BonziBuddy says:

View attachment 276010

I thought they were still under Paradigm.

Oh well.

I consider myself "finished" buying audio gear, unless something breaks.

My next hobby-related "big ticket" thing will be a newish glider and trailer.

Refer to Soaring thread if interested.
Don’t believe ChatGPT! This is from the Martin Logan website:

“In late 2005, MartinLogan was acquired by a subsidiary of Shoreview Industries, a small financial firm specializing in supporting well-run private companies. Shoreview recognized MartinLogan’s bedrock commitment to quality, high performance, and customer service. They have remained a passive investor, providing an ongoing source of capital funding for research and facility upgrades over the years. With this backing as rocket fuel, MartinLogan was poised to become an international powerhouse of audio technology.”

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Chat GPT seems to frequently be wrong, and fabricating data. It's fitting right in to the internet.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. One can use its output if one knows it to be correct.So it's rather a help to get good written text for free.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
He bought it from a long gone out of business hardware store in Knoxville, at a time when hardware stores sold whatever tool a man needed to get the job done.
For the record, and FWIW, we still have those up here in northern New England, although they're steadily disappearing.
Here's a fine report on an excellent example:

There is (or I fear, there was) also one in nearby Woodstock ,VT that is huge and labyrinthine. Very cool place. :)

Electrostatic. I remember the high-voltage transformers sitting there..
You are correct, sir. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don’t believe ChatGPT! This is from the Martin Logan website:

“In late 2005, MartinLogan was acquired by a subsidiary of Shoreview Industries, a small financial firm specializing in supporting well-run private companies. Shoreview recognized MartinLogan’s bedrock commitment to quality, high performance, and customer service. They have remained a passive investor, providing an ongoing source of capital funding for research and facility upgrades over the years. With this backing as rocket fuel, MartinLogan was poised to become an international powerhouse of audio technology.”

Don't believe anything! (I mostly don't or don't care)

ShoreView Announces sale of Paradigm Electronics Inc.

MAY 2019
ShoreView is pleased to announce the sale of Paradigm Electronics Inc. (“Paradigm”). Paradigm was a portfolio company in ShoreView Capital Partners I, L.P. and represents the last realization for the Fund.

Paradigm is a niche designer and manufacturer of consumer electronics products serving the consumer audio and home theater markets. The Company’s brands include Paradigm, Martin Logan, and Anthem. Paradigm’s products are sold through specialty retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia.

---

Sold to Scott Bagby

Venerable Canadian audio brands Paradigm, Anthem, and MartinLogan have been sold back to a familiar name. Original founder Scott Bagby, along with John Bagby, have announced the purchase of Paradigm Electronics, Anthem Electronics, and MartinLogan Loudspeakers, effective May 10, 2019. Terms were not disclosed.

Scott Bagby, one of the original founders of Paradigm Electronics, continues as Chairman and assumes the role of CEO. John Bagby, who has been active in many areas in the business over the last several years, takes on the role of Managing Director.

Dismayed

Don't believe anything! (I mostly don't or don't care)

ShoreView Announces sale of Paradigm Electronics Inc.

MAY 2019
ShoreView is pleased to announce the sale of Paradigm Electronics Inc. (“Paradigm”). Paradigm was a portfolio company in ShoreView Capital Partners I, L.P. and represents the last realization for the Fund.

Paradigm is a niche designer and manufacturer of consumer electronics products serving the consumer audio and home theater markets. The Company’s brands include Paradigm, Martin Logan, and Anthem. Paradigm’s products are sold through specialty retailers in North America, Europe, and Asia.

---

Sold to Scott Bagby

Venerable Canadian audio brands Paradigm, Anthem, and MartinLogan have been sold back to a familiar name. Original founder Scott Bagby, along with John Bagby, have announced the purchase of Paradigm Electronics, Anthem Electronics, and MartinLogan Loudspeakers, effective May 10, 2019. Terms were not disclosed.

Scott Bagby, one of the original founders of Paradigm Electronics, continues as Chairman and assumes the role of CEO. John Bagby, who has been active in many areas in the business over the last several years, takes on the role of Managing Director.
Good to see that you’re extending your search beyond ChatGPT.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,

I am considering getting a used pair of Martin Logan Vista, they are ESL. This is for a secondary room and I just want to try ESL to change things up.

I have zero experience with Martin Logan ESL (or any ESL), so would like to get current and previous Martin Logan ESL owners' opinion on their reliability. Specifically reliability on the built in amplification for the woofer and the ESL panel.

TIA

EDIT: These used ML Vista are about 11 years old from the original owner and he states he plays them at moderate volume.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No expert but seems from what I know you'd probably want to focus on longevity of the panel itself rather than the amplification....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think ESL's are less reliable than cone speakers. But not terribly unreliable in most incarnations. @RayDunzl has some that are going strong from quite some time ago. I've owned various ESL's over the years. Never had any panel problems from Quads, Acoustats or Soundlabs nor known of them from friends with those and some ML's. I did have a couple issues with the voltage doubler high voltage supplies being damaged by voltage spikes on the power lines. I live where there is lots, and lots of lightning. So I would suggest using a surge supressor on them.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think ESL's are less reliable than cone speakers. But not terribly unreliable in most incarnations. @RayDunzl has some that are going strong from quite some time ago. I've owned various ESL's over the years. Never had any panel problems from Quads, Acoustats or Soundlabs nor known of them from friends with those and some ML's. I did have a couple issues with the voltage doubler high voltage supplies being damaged by voltage spikes on the power lines. I live where there is lots, and lots of lightning. So I would suggest using a surge supressor on them.
How long have you and your friends had these ESL? The ones I'm looking to get is 11 years old.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering getting a used pair of Martin Logan Vista, they are ESL.
I am averse to used speakers - I don't know what next more-extreme word after "averse" is - but that would be my feeling about used pair of ESLs.
Aren't there some major reliability issues with electrostatics in (or due to) humid environments?
The geographic location where this used ESL pair (you are considering) were used :facepalm: may be a worthy consideration before purchase.

Top Bottom