• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier Review & Comparison

Svperstar

I almost bought the Koss ESP/95X at one point when it was on large discount due to closing of Drop's EU warehouse - I'm glad I didn't. Electrostatic headphones are still something I'd like to try in the future, but I don't think I'll be buying any blind.

3 year late reply but thats too bad, you should have picked one up. They sound great especially given the price.

Svperstar

The gain doesn't help if the amp starts to distort or completely runs out of current.

My Stax SRM-T1S just got here today. I still have the Stax 007 mk2 in the mail, the only electrostat I have here is the Koss 95X, luckily I bought a cable to let Stax amps run them. Holy crap the Stax amp has way more power. I barely have to go bettween 2-3 on the dial, my RME ADI-2 is at 0 / +7, connected via XLR.

No need to drive the gain higher. The Koss are getting plenty loud. We shall see when the actually Stax headphones get here.

Svperstar

Having compared one of the better Stax amps (SRM-717) and Carbon in a pretty flawed single-blind test... you can guess what I thought of the claims of increased soundstage, dynamics, black background, detail, etc.

What did you think? I currently own a 717, listening too it now, I was thinking of getting a Carbon or something else end game. Did the Carbon sound any better then the 717?

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What did you think? I currently own a 717, listening too it now, I was thinking of getting a Carbon or something else end game. Did the Carbon sound any better then the 717?
What I've found is that the various Kevin Gilmore electrostatic amps I've tried allowed greater undistorted voltage swing. This was especially apparent on the SR-007a which seems to need more oomph than the other 'phones I've tried, but which also produces really great sound when driven well. I new have a Carbon, I used to have a KGSSHV - I did not hear much (if any) difference between them, but I had a good offer for the KGSSHV so I sold it and kept the Carbon. If you use any bass EQ at all - and I think some is needed- the Stax amps just seem to fold up. Also, their bias voltage is not well controlled, which leads to certain other problems. Only the unobtainium Stax T2 seemed to really check all the boxes, at least as far as I know after reading some analysis of it's circuitry.

• The SRM-T1 S had a maximum output voltage of 300V
  • The SRM-007tA / SRM-007tII have a maximum output voltage of 340V
  • The SRM-717 and SRM-727 have a maximum output voltage of 450V.
  • The SRM-T2 had a maximum output voltage of 630V
  • The Carbon has a voltage swing of 1440V

Svperstar

What I've found is that the various Kevin Gilmore electrostatic amps I've tried allowed greater undistorted voltage swing. This was especially apparent on the SR-007a which seems to need more oomph than the other 'phones I've tried, but which also produces really great sound when driven well. I new have a Carbon, I used to have a KGSSHV - I did not hear much (if any) difference between them, but I had a good offer for the KGSSHV so I sold it and kept the Carbon. If you use any bass EQ at all - and I think some is needed- the Stax amps just seem to fold up. Also, their bias voltage is not well controlled, which leads to certain other problems. Only the unobtainium Stax T2 seemed to really check all the boxes, at least as far as I know after reading some analysis of it's circuitry.

• The SRM-T1 S had a maximum output voltage of 300V
  • The SRM-007tA / SRM-007tII have a maximum output voltage of 340V
  • The SRM-717 and SRM-727 have a maximum output voltage of 450V.
  • The SRM-T2 had a maximum output voltage of 630V
  • The Carbon has a voltage swing of 1440V

Thanks for the post, but the "stator to stator" voltage swing and maximum output voltage listed by Stax aren't an apples to apples stat. I'm not an EE so don't ask me to explain exactly how they compare.

I use Equalizer APO with my 007 and CRBN and it doesn't distort but I'm curious how it would sound if I upgraded.

Top Bottom