• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Electronics Review index (v2): updates and feedback

RickSanchez

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cartographer
Hi everyone. I wanted to let folks know about the new version of the Electronics Review Index. Some new features but it can be found in the same location:

There was a huge amount of work that went on behind the scenes to overhaul the database structure for capturing device info, reviews, and measurements. Then all of the existing data had to be converted over to this new database structure. And finally an entirely new set of dashboards had to be built. I know many ASR members have been wondering about the delays, and I apologize that things took so long. But I'm really happy with what was accomplished. Some nice feature built into the dashboards and data entry is much quicker / easier.

The new index page has the following dashboards which are tabs on the top:

• Electronics Index
  • Electronics Rankings (SINAD, SNR, + many other metrics)
  • Electronics Attribute Comparison Tool
  • Notes
  • Definitions

Electronics Review Index
This dashboard is similar to the previous version. (Again, the rebuild was based mostly on having to work off of a new data structure.) However, I'd like to highlight a few new features:

1. There are now a number of new filters you can use, including Parent Company and Tags.
  2. The Tooltip (which you can see if you hover over the Price field on the right) has been updated with a new layout. This includes being able to view a device's manufacturer product webpage.
  3. You can now search for electronics entries by using the Search box on the upper left.
    • Tip: clear all filters -- set them to "(All)" -- before using Search if you want to explore the entire database.

Electronics Rankings
This is a more simplified, visual view of the electronics based on metrics.

1. First, choose which metric you want to rank on. The control is on the top middle.
  2. Second (optional), choose any of the filters to narrow down the list.
  3. You can chose the color scheme for the bars in the bar chart. You can turn the color coding off, color code by quartiles, or color code by Amir's recommendation.

Electronics Attribute Comparison Tool
Users can compare two numerical device attributes in a scatter plot, one on the X axis and one on the Y axis.
  • The device info appears in the tooltip when you hover over a mark.
  • Green marks = recommended by Amir; Red marks = not recommended by Amir; Grey marks = no recommendation given. (The color-blind friendly version replaces green with blue and red with orange.)
    • You can also turn off the recommendation colors.
  • Each mark represents a measurement. Therefore you may find the same device multiple times in the scatter plot if there are multiple measurements.
  • The quickest way to narrow the universe of values is to modify the ranges for the X and Y axes. For precision you do not have to use the slider function; you can simply click on the min or max number and then type in your desired value.

---------------------
Going forward I'll be maintaining these electronics dashboards. Please PM me (or post on this thread) with:
  • feature suggestions. (Keep in mind that we are limited by what the visualization platform -- Tableau Public -- can do.)
  • issues you find with the data.
  • issues with the dashboards.
Your feedback is welcome!
---------------------

[edit: 2020.11.18] Added the Speaker Attribute Comparison Tool info.

Last edited:
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Cartographer
Thread Starter #2
A huge thanks to @pozz for all of the work he put into this v2. Taking the many hundreds of device entries (device info, posts, measurements, etc.) and porting them to the new database was an incredibly arduous and thankless task. On top of that he was heavily involved in the design of the new dashboards and provided a ton of hours of testing and feedback. I most certainly could not have built these dashboards without his help, and I'm incredibly grateful for the time and effort he put in.

Going forward I'll be using this post to track major changes to the Electronics dashboards. (Minor changes will be released but not tracked here.)

Changelog
  • [2020.11.17] GA release of the Attribute Comparison Tool dashboard.

Last edited:
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Cartographer
Thread Starter #5
Yes, thank you and @pozz. I use this all the time, and the tableau output is great, works well on all devices, although better on a larger screen.
Perhaps a ways off but it is on our list to see what optimizations -- if any -- can be made for viewing via tablets. The tricky part there is that the dashboards (built on Tableau Public) are embedded into the ASR site, so optimizing the dashboards may not achieve the desired results given that they'll still be inside of the ASR website.

pozz

Data Ordinator
Forum Donor
Editor
Short history: This used to be all text-based. A long list of links in a central post. It took close to a year to initially gather all of the references and posted measurement data, and figure out the necessary organization. A further six months of refinement (read: starting from scratch, with the benefit of hindsight) to get to today.

Many helped along the way. Thanks everyone, but especially @RickSanchez, who does not mess around!

Rick-Morty-Rick-Five-Arms small.png

m8o

Forum Donor
Say, wondering... how does one now apply a filter to only compare bare-board DACs (pi HATs or standalone bare-boards)? That category selection seems to have disappeared.

pozz

Data Ordinator
Forum Donor
Editor
Say, wondering... how does one now apply a filter to only compare bare-board DACs (pi HATs or standalone bare-boards)? That category selection seems to have disappeared.
It's in the Tags filter which should be to used with the other filters to narrow down the devices you want to appear.

Edit: Some explanation to clarify. The idea is to select a particular device type, like a DAC, and then select the subsystem or other function you want in the Tags filter, like Room EQ. That way you get all DACs with Room EQ, and other kinds are filtered out. Given the way Tableau works, Tags work effectively only as a single-select option, unfortunately.

Last edited:
OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Cartographer
Thread Starter #10
Letting folks know that the Attribute Comparison Tool has been released. There are still a few enhancements yet to come but it is ready for prime time.

The dashboard allows users to select two attributes to compare: one on the X axis, one on the Y axis. (Use the controls on the upper left.) You can then narrow down the number of devices included by using the relevant filters. Keep in mind that this kind of scatter plot only works with numerical values for the X and Y axes.

Regarding usage a couple notes:
  • if a user selects "Price (USD)" for either the X or Y axis, that control becomes redundant with the Price (USD) filter. The Price (USD) filter is there to use when both the X and Y axes do not include the price of a device.
  • to see information about the device just hover over the mark with your mouse and the Tooltip will appear. (See the example -- the Gustard X16 -- in the screenshot below.)

I hope folks find this visualization interesting / useful. As always, your feedback is welcome.

1605736679883.png

Top Bottom