• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronics for Audiophiles: Voltage and Current (Video)

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
true that!

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
So, if I understand your explanation correctly what matters for audio is the high speed transfer of information through the electromagnetic field along the wire which is not affected by the conduction of the wire.

The speed is not affected by the conductor, but the dielectric over/around the conductor.
So that 60-70% of C, that @pma quoted can be up to 100%.
(But it is not like the lips will be unsynched.)

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dear Amir,

I'd really like to know your opinion about the role of conductors on transferring energy based on the information below:

Could this be proof that may be it's not all snake oil with expensive cables or there's some science behind cable risers? Will the effect of conductance reflect in your measurements and thus is negligible?

I'll only be convinced if you're convinced

Reactions: OCA

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
On electrocution. Theres capacitive currents, the kind you get if only one part of the body contacts a voltage, and nothing is grounded. Like putting a pin into a socket when standing on a wood floor. This is the usual case. These currents are orders of magnitude lower than if you were holding a ground cable in your other hand. One of the first things they told us in the EE power labs was to keep one hand in your pocket. I still try to do this when poking around in live power amps. Don't hold the grounded case with your other hand!! And in some instances 20volts will kill you while in others you'll barely feel 120vac. Be safe.

Top Bottom