• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronica/dance/techno/et cetera.

600_OHM

:) I started with hearing a remix of a Madonna [Ray Of Light] track in the car one night. ...Sasha..[?] ...which led to William Orbit's version of Adagio for Strings...and then we got more classical music.
I have to admit, when I first heard Tiesto doing this a very long time ago I was offended.

I mean Adagio for Strings is universally known as the saddest composition in the world commonly used for funerals and so forth. And now turn it around into something vibrant to get your groove on?

It took me awhile to adopt a willingness to overlook this, since the genre's are so totally opposite each other, that I reluctantly gave the ok to it.

I knew it wasn't purposeful disrespect, and understood the artist's intent. It made even more of an impact the first few times and the contrast between what was the worlds saddest composition and this new form tore me up a bit emotionally. Major impact.

Not sure if the people dancing to it understand this. I've got this blasting, I'm moving, I know the history of the composition, and I'm brought to tears while doing so.

Messed me up. A true classic. Tiesto had the chops to challenge me sonically. Wow!

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I mean Adagio for Strings is universally known as the saddest composition in the world commonly used for funerals and so forth. And now turn it around into something vibrant to get your groove on?
Try the Wiliam Orbit version - it's not like that.^^ It also led to me/us buying a Pergolisi[?] opera CD...and others.
Barber...eventually I got the proper version of Adagio for Strings, then I realised the William Orbit verion is a bit poppy. /lol :)
I think I just remembered...not sure, but maybe that's how I got to Gorecki.

600_OHM

Katji - that's awesome just checked it out. Right up my alley. William Orbit did a great job.

I gotta take a break from this classical / edm juxtaposition though with Adagio for Strings.

World affairs are bumming me out, and it's getting too uncomfortable, where EDM for me, is supposed to be a happy place.

Although not EDM, I'm getting angry. Like I did when this came out and danced to it. Read as much or little into it as you want. Too bad we can't solve the world's problems with headphone battles!

I'm psyching myself out - need to take a break.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Katji - that's awesome just checked it out. Right up my alley. William Orbit did a great job.

I gotta take a break from this classical / edm juxtaposition though with Adagio for Strings.

World affairs are bumming me out, and it's getting too uncomfortable, where EDM for me, is supposed to be a happy place.

Although not EDM, I'm getting angry. Like I did when this came out and danced to it. Read as much or little into it as you want. Too bad we can't solve the world's problems with headphone battles!

I'm psyching myself out - need to take a break.
[I just came from anti-war song thread.]

^^^This is a surprise. My all-time favourite. Respect and admiration. *Different. Unique.* 3 gigs in London, 1980. I sill have the first 2 CDs, records were misappropiated years later. Including 12" single, red cover.
Thanks to friend, fellow punk "squat-mate" from Aberdeen, who said he hated music. Except ...i can't remember the name, it'll come. Old hippie who lived in Epping Forest or something. Anarchist. I hated it, I went to sleep, sort of, sitting on the floor, to escape from the noise. In some scout hall or something, far in the north.
2 of those KJ gigs had Discharge on first.

WAR DANCE

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
'91 House classic
showed up in DEEP SOUTH ATL mix by 4AM NYC, made my day | ...the other day, but I just now got a reply re which remix it was.

...original version...

napfkuchen

donpachi

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread, there is so much music out there one life is not enough to listen and enjoy it all. Anyways, breakcore?

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm old school - mostly 2000's female vocal trance. But I prefer a somewhat more mature sounding vocalists.

The usual stuff from OceanLab, Above & Beyond, and anything Tiesto or Armin van Buuren featuring Justine Suissa, or any of the other original stars. Too many to list.

We've all seen some vids, many just slapped together, but I like this one from a fan:

Crank it up. With your best pair of cans to this oldie but goodie.
This gives me 'Andain' feelings. All good. I miss her. And just in case you haven't heard of her...

Katji

Major Contributor

Dekmantel Podcast 389 - Lefto Early Bird​

Like many of his generation, @lefto Early Bird has gained a global following because of his radio shows. Broadcasting on the likes of Studio Brussel, Kiosk Radio and Worldwide FM from his base in Brussels, he's become a beacon of good taste whether dropping jazz, new beat, house or hip hop. He manages to make seemingly unrelated sounds make sense in the same context and is just as versatile in the DJ booths of Europe's best clubs and festivals. He plays for us at Dekmantel Selectors later this year and is sure to serve up one of his magic musical melting pots.

This week's mix is just that, with a brilliantly broad selection of tracks from Sun Ra & His Arkestra, Kerri Chandler, Synkro and Kendrick Lamar just some of those he weaves in. It makes for something that manages to transport you to a sun-kissed beach[*], a prohibition-era speakeasy and then a boogie-fuelled dance floor in the blink of an eye. You are sure to be left wondering how on earth he does it all.

https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl%2Fdekmantel-podcast-389-lefto-early-bird

Katji

Major Contributor

600_OHM

Is it wrong of me to still love 808-State and KLF? Or does that make me a grandpa?

I mean, play this for the kids and get a blank stare? What's wrong with you kids these days? :)

808 State - featuring Bjork! Goes together like peanut butter on a Ritz cracker! An Oreo cookie! A fluffer-nutter sandwich. Some things just groove together. Not to mention being great food for your headphones!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Is it wrong of me to still love 808-State and KLF? Or does that make me a grandpa?

I mean, play this for the kids and get a blank stare? What's wrong with you kids these days? :)

808 State - featuring Bjork! Goes together like peanut butter on a Ritz cracker! An Oreo cookie! A fluffer-nutter sandwich. Some things just groove together. Not to mention being great food for your headphones!

I can respect the classics.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
fresh Swan Meat*

https://soundcloud.com/swanmeat%2Fperfect-cherry-blossom
and a smorgasbord:

https://soundcloud.com/bcco%2Fswan-meat
idiosyncratic industrial/techno, obvs

*Swan Meat (aka Reba Fay) is a record producer and DJ from Washington, D.C. based in Köln, Germany. Since breaking onto the scene in early 2017 with her debut EP, BOUNTY (Permalnk), a tribute to classic Metroid games, she has carved out her own niche in the underground, perfecting a sound in which sweeping string arrangements, 8-bit synth melodies, and gigantic techno kicks meet in a weird and eerie whorl. In the past three years she’s released myriad singles and remixes, as well as three EPs: TAME, her second solo release, Knife Splits Ice, a collaborative tape with Yoshitaka Hikawa, and, most recently, FLESHWORLD (Infinite Machine), which Resident Advisor called “a dizzying sequence of references and samples programmed to shock and awe.” A follow-up is due this Spring, and in the past year she has released a slew of singles, remixes, and DJ mixes. Recent singles include but are not limited to: “Psychopath,” “Sludge,” “Swan’s Lament,” and “Behave.” A resident DJ on London’s Rinse FM station and Germany’s dublab outlet, as well as one-half of the production duo House of Suns with DJH, the producer has proven herself versatile and ever-evolving, touring the world with her maximalist live and DJ sets.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom