• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronic Basics: Understanding Class B and Class AB Amplifiers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In a recent thread on Benchmark AHP2 amplifier (http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...hmark-first-watt-abx-facepalm.766/#post-23784) I noted that their marketing page for that unit showed a class B amplifier but said that it was class AB.

Crossover_Distortion_8bd614f1-78a3-41a7-8683-cae9f8bb903f_large.jpg

Even though this is a much talked about topic online, I thought I post this video from one of my other favorite Electronics bloggers, Shahriar Shahramian. He is a PhD researcher/designer at AT&T Bell Labs and his videos usually are quite advanced, dealing with microwaves and other advanced electronics. But when he started his blogging career, he started with this practical tutorial and measurements of class B versus class AB amplifier.

Back to the video, here it is:

Shariar is very smart and does a great job explaining this topic. Set aside 39 minutes and watch it. He is someone you want to know in the electronics domain.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On the original video if you don't want to learn the circuit theory, after watching the first 5 or so minutes, you can skip to marker 22:00 and from there on he shows the performance/measurements of the amplifiers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shahriar's knowledge of advanced electronics and measurement gear is just incredible. I have watched him repair the most hopeless RF gear. It is so rare to see someone so good at both theory and practical aspects of repairing gear.

Top Bottom