• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electromagnetic Interference in Speaker Cables? (video)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Thats wrong. They add up but are scaled depending on the output impedance of the voltage sources. Try to put a signal generator on the output of the amp. Connect your preamp out to your power amp out,(different signals) do you think your signal will be a simple addition, or will the power amp swamp the pre. The power amp is a voltage source that will keep that voltage constant no matter what the load is doing, even if its injecting current into the amp. And the wire source will have a very high impedance, ie how much current will it put out.

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
Thats wrong. Try to put a signal generator on the output of the amp. Better yet why don't you connect 2 power amps outputs with different signals together, you think the signals will add up! Lol.
:facepalm:
They are not in parallel, they are in series.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
That's wrong.
Your amp is generally a voltage source. so it makes sure its output = input * gain.
If you now induce a voltage or curren in the wire your speaker sees this voltage or current + what ever the amp is outputting.
Repeating your error doesnt make it right. If your amp makes sure the output=Input*gain then it has to deal with the error signal to do this. It sees the error thru the feedback and corrects for it. Why don't you try simming the effect. How do you sim the induced voltge? With a votge source with a much larger impedance.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
1614720367077.png

All the current that is inductively coupled has to flow trough the speaker since there is no other current part.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2 wires close together in one cable carrying current in opposite directions next to another cable with 2 wires running a current in opposite direction do not work like an air-core transformer. Maybe a little if over a very long length the cable is not twisted.

Just try it. put 2 cables next to each other over a few meters length. Then run power through one cable and connect a speaker to the other cable which you have to short at the other end.

HF in common mode sure.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well,,, my dear ASR friends,

I have little interest on the (endless?) theoretical arguments, and also little interest on power cable's possible electromagnetic interference on speaker cables...

The title of the thread is "Electromagnetic Interference in Speaker Cables?", and I understand it as "Do electromagnetic interferences affect speaker level signals?", and my clear answer is "Yes they do!".

In my previous post #129 and #132, I shared the well audible electromagnetic interferences on "speaker cable signals", and I know/understand how to minimize or avoid such mal-interferences; that's all....

Am I wrong here?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I did my burn-in just for sure before daily use

What's there to burn-in ?
Noticed you had multiple inductors and so they were not all under ideal circumstances so one can expect some air-transformer effects.
Have made some wireless power transmission using a inductors with a substantial air gap. Yes efficiency is poor but some power gets through.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The title of the thread is "Electromagnetic Interference in Speaker Cables?", and I understand it as "Do electromagnetic interferences affect speaker level signal?", and my clear answer is "Yes they do!".

Sure they do for RF in common mode. Depending on the amplifier design and coupled power some RF may enter the amp and get 'AM detected'.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Maybe a little if over a very long length the cable is not twisted.
And that why they came up with twisted pairs.

??? Do the math.
Look again you have drawn something in Parallel...
Why? there is nothing there in parallel?

The cable induction is in series.

2 wires close together in one cable carrying current in opposite directions next to another cable with 2 wires running a current in opposite direction do not work like an air-core transformer
The bigger the loop area the the more inductance the is be in general.
its a long but very narrow coil with one turen so ist magnetic feeld can't reach verry far.
cables must be close together and not twisted for inductive coupling.
So cheap and small cables with the conductors close together are actually maybe better...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have made some wireless power transmission using a inductors with a substantial air gap. Yes efficiency is poor but some power gets through.
And almost all of the commercially available speakers have "such" LC-network with multiple coils (inductors) close together.... We know how to minimize or avoid such coil-to-coil (indoctor-to-inductor) audible interferences. In acctual circumstances, such very faint interference cannot be heard (or even cannot be measured) since all the SP drivers sing together...

Sure they do for RF in common mode. Depending on the amplifier design and coupled power some RF may enter the amp and get 'AM detected'.
Yes, and we know how to minimize or avoid such mal-electromagnetic interferences...

I assume these are the possible conclusions of this thread,,, if my understanding of "Do electromagnetic interferences affect speaker level signals?" is OK. Do we need further more discussions?

Sorry for my rather naive inquiry.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And almost all of the commercially available speakers have "such" LC-network with multiple coils (inductors) close together.... We know how to minimize or avoid such coil-to-coil (indoctor-to-inductor) audible interferences.

Yes, mostly just 2 or 3 under 90 degree angles. In worst case (speaker is mono) there is a slight coupling and would thus only 'bleed' a very low level and most likely phase shifted 'signal' into the woofer or tweeter at very small levels and frequencies those drivers are not very efficient at.
I noticed more than 3 inductors and some under non 90 degree angles which induces a bit more.
There can be substantial currents running through those inductors though.
A way to avoid induction using more than 3 inductors could be to spread over 2 PCB's which are separated at a distance in the speaker.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And that why they came up with twisted pairs.

Yes, that'l work quite well certainly for higher frequencies. For speaker cables running alongside mains cables this isn't really needed though as the 'efficiency' for audio frequency coupling is low, the impedances involved are low (for audio frequencies/mains+harmonics) and because the current flows in 2 directions in a cable (with conductors usually very close) the magnetic field that would do the induction is very low to begin with.
A non-issue really. The 'air core transformer' picture which is used as an example is totally inappropriate as evidence for how this would work.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Amplifier feedback is usually sensed at the output of the amplifier. Anything that tries to move the output unrelated to the signal and within the feedback (loop) bandwidth will be suppressed by feedback. If you apply a modulating voltage on the amplifier's output, whether 60 Hz coupled noise, back-EMF from the speaker, or RFI, the amplifier will reject it as best it is able. The problem for audio amplifiers isn't usually power-line noise injected into the speaker cables (usually inductively if at all) but RFI that is well outside the feedback loop's bandwidth.

Lambda

Major Contributor
The 'air core transformer' picture which is used as an example is totally inappropriate as evidence for how this would work.
It still works like this. the effect of it is minimal and its an non-issue.
But the principle is still the same.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amplifier feedback is usually sensed at the output of the amplifier. Anything that tries to move the output unrelated to the signal and within the feedback (loop) bandwidth will be suppressed by feedback. If you apply a modulating voltage on the amplifier's output, whether 60 Hz coupled noise, back-EMF from the speaker, or RFI, the amplifier will reject it as best it is able. The problem for audio amplifiers isn't usually power-line noise injected into the speaker cables (usually inductively if at all) but RFI that is well outside the feedback loop's bandwidth.

That, and the issue with RF is that it can find its way 'in' via other paths than the feedback loop when high enough in frequency and power and internal trace/wire routing is not very HF friendly. ;)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

Trying to explain that for 2 pages.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A way to avoid induction using more than 3 inductors could be to spread over 2 PCB's which are separated at a distance in the speaker.

Yes, this is why I wrote at the end of my post #132 that "I understand and agree that several high-end HiFi speaker manufacturers are designing their LC-network with rather far distance between coil(s) for woofers and coil(s) for high range drivers."

Also the coils/inductors in LC-network, together with capacitors, cause extra power load to the amplifier (and also phase rotation).

These are two of the several major reasons rationalize multichannel multi-amplifier system (like my project) eliminating all the LC-network caps and coils (inductors) and directly dedicatedly driving the SP drivers by individual amplifier, as well as carefully eliminating magnetic susceptible metals in speaker level signal handlings.

Again, in any way, my point here in this thread is: "Electromagnetic interferences more or less do deteriorate speaker level signals, and we know many ways/measures to minimize and/or eliminate such interferences."

(And I believe usual AC power cables sitting near to the SP cables do not interfere the SP signals in audioble magnitude.)

Last edited:

fmplayer

I don’t think you mean ‘exacerbated’. Regardless, there is no reliable evidence suggesting that blind people actually do have compensatory ‘super senses’. Although Ernest Bramah’s fictional blind detective could read newsprint using his fingertips...
Oups. False friend. In french (I'm french, sorry ;-) ) it does not mean it is for worse. I meant something more like emphasized. And yes, people who have a deficiency of one of the senses compensate one way or the other. Typically blind people rely on hearing to be aware of their environment (ok, maybe not like bats), but you get the point. Think of Daredevil...
Whatever, they are not influenced by other factors than hearing, provided you don't told them what they are listening to.

fmplayer

Yes, this is why I wrote at the end of my post #132 that "I understand and agree that several high-end HiFi speaker manufacturers are designing their LC-network with rather far distance between coil(s) for woofers and coil(s) for high range drivers."

Also the coils/inductors in LC-network, together with capacitors, cause extra power load to the amplifier (and also phase rotation).
The reason for this is the variation of the effective inductance value, which introduces variation in Xover frequency as illustrated by Troels Gravesen (see 'Placement of coils in crossover networks' http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm). This variation can't be simply calculated and ruins the hard work put into making a crossover.
Of course, active filtering eliminates the problem

Top Bottom