• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elections and voting (in general) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
In the US, are "spoiled" ballots counted? These are ballots that are either deliberately or erroneously filled-in. It's an established act of civil disobedience/protest in Canada.

Likely depends on the state and exact conditions. Election laws are state based, so you will get 50 slightly different answers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
Reactions: 617
OP
L5730

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ASR = audiosciencereview
This is the "Other areas of interest" section. There are threads about beer, wine, cars, covid...
Though, I'll concede this may or may not come under "Fun topics" :p

Participation in this thread isn't mandatory :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I do think if there was some minimum level of requirement to vote, a clearance bar of some kind required to vote could slow the advance of the inevitable.

Should the bar to vote be higher than the bar to be elected?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

deprogrammed

Please vote everyone.

I wish it was as easy everywhere as here. They sent me a ballot, I mailed it in. Voted for president, a few offices, for ranked choice voting and for right to repair. Ballot accepted two weeks ago.

Same, Live in Ohio. Received mail in ballot 2-3 weeks ago. Mailed it in and was able to check on line that it was counted. It should be this easy everywhere.
Oh God please, no politics on ASR

I am with you except it is election day here is the USA. Today seems like a day for robust debate.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88 I have to disagree with property ownership being a prerequisite to voting eligibility. We have a large number of people such as junior doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, food processing employees who cannot afford to get on the housing ladder, yet are worth more to society than the fellow who is bodging up houses he buys cheap at auction and flipping them to pay off the last mortgage.
If the right government got into power, perhaps it would be easier for regular people to get on the property ladder, that's a separate discussion though.

My local polling station was moved from one side of our district to the other. What used to be a 10 minute walk, is now 25 minutes. As there are a number of 70+ yr olds around my local streets, it seems daft and inconsiderate. It's not like the building that was used for years isn't vacant and council owned property! We do have the option for registering for postal ballot and there isn't a big hoo-ha about postal ballots in the UK.

@pozz Sure, a low turn out would mostly suggest that all options weren't worth the bother to turn up to put an 'x' for. However, politicians will argue that it's raining, too warm, people are hungover from partying the day before, literally anything than accept that they suck, have crud policies or can't/won't actually define their policies and have no ability to get the message of what they stand for out to the voter. Politicians are generally regarded as a particular type of human being...

If there is an option for mail ballots, then I suppose having a national holiday on one day to vote in person isn't really required, so long as the stations stay open long enough to be available to all kinds of work patterns.
Well all I can say is in aggregate lack of the wherewithal to own property doesn't seem like much of an indicator for letting one vote. Shiftless drug dealer, welfare recipient wanting more benefits at my expense, prostitutes, pimps, pan handlers etc. etc. Yes you can make a list for either way you want it to lean. Looking at all factors I think holding property would be a reasonable requirement. And I think we have way too many people who are a net drain who vote for more benefits they can't afford.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.” Alexander Fraser Tytler (often attributed to de toqueville)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh God please, no politics on ASR

An appeal to an unspecified Deity to eliminate casual conversation about Elections and Voting?

TimF

Forum Donor
I voted for no change: Harod for King Judaea, and Pontius Pilot as Governor of Judaea. When Harod the Great dies, by his will, his Kingdom will be dived between his children. You see where this is going, don't you?

deprogrammed

Well all I can say is in aggregate lack of the wherewithal to own property doesn't seem like much of an indicator for letting one vote. Shiftless drug dealer, welfare recipient wanting more benefits at my expense, prostitutes, pimps, pan handlers etc. etc. Yes you can make a list for either way you want it to lean. Looking at all factors I think holding property would be a reasonable requirement. And I think we have way too many people who are a net drain who vote for more benefits they can't afford.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.” Alexander Fraser Tytler (often attributed to de toqueville)

What a long winded way to say F%$K the poor. Nice.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm no Thomas, but let's keep it civil.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Voting here in Oregon is quite simple, they have had mail-in voting for some time now. Altho I didn't have much problems in voting in California, where I previously lived, this is far easier and I didn't even have to burden the post office as there are drop boxes in a variety of locations. I cannot imagine this year waiting until today to vote, tho.....I had my ballot confirmed as received almost two weeks ago....

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Forcing voters to vote will likely result in a lot of random ballots or empty ones that we (the taxpayers) would still have to pay for counting. My vote (oof) would be for better education in schools on the reasons and importance of voting as well as reinforcement of our constitution and republic since so many do not seem to understand them.

Voting is compulsory here in Australia. We don’t see any meaningful number of random or empty votes.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Do speakers count as property?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I voted for no change: Harod for King Judaea, and Pontius Pilot as Governor of Judaea. When Harod the Great dies, by his will, his Kingdom will be dived between his children. You see where this is going, don't you?

Actually, no...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom