• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Unifi Reference teasers

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I guess I wonder about the accuracy of the PIR down that low, where speaker positioning and room start to impact things.

The dip did not seem to be present in @joentell ’s in-room measurement. Obviously, those are much lower resolution, but still interesting.

Hotwetrat

I'm currently saving up for these for when they are available in the UK but I won't be comfortable pulling the trigger on them until Amir has jammed his nose deep into the port and had a good sniff around

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm currently saving up for these for when they are available in the UK but I won't be comfortable pulling the trigger on them until Amir has jammed his nose deep into the port and had a good sniff around
That sounds so dirty :eek:

joentell

Reviewer
I guess I wonder about the accuracy of the PIR down that low, where speaker positioning and room start to impact things.

The dip did not seem to be present in @joentell ’s in-room measurement. Obviously, those are much lower resolution, but still interesting.
I would trust @hardisj's measurements more than I would trust mine especially in the bass region. Because mine is in-room, the placement can easily affect the response in my measurement.

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I guess that’s sort of my point though. If real world placement fills in the dip, relative to the Klippel’s assumed in-room placement, that could be okay, right?

joentell

Reviewer
I guess that’s sort of my point though. If real world placement fills in the dip, relative to the Klippel’s assumed in-room placement, that could be okay, right?
I understand what you're saying too. But I could move the speaker a few feet in a different direction in the room and perhaps get and even bigger dip in that location. Bass gets tricky in rooms. But yes, it's possible in certain locations. I'm inclined to say that because it's below the transition frequency, DSP could help a lot.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I understand what you're saying too. But I could move the speaker a few feet in a different direction in the room and perhaps get and even bigger dip in that location. Bass gets tricky in rooms. But yes, it's possible in certain locations. I'm inclined to say that because it's below the transition frequency, DSP could help a lot.

Yep.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah PIR isn't accurate at that frequency (only for average) anyway, and that slight dip will be swamped by room effects.

That said, I do find that many speakers tend to have an in room dip around that frequency anyway, though maybe that's just my rooms.

holbob

Thanks Joe. Can I ask if the tweeter is "pushinable"? I have a 4 year old. I have DBR62 which is obviously well protected by the grill, and if the UBR62 tweeter is easily damaged then I can rule it out. Thank You.

Mystical Boar

I have DBR62 which is obviously well protected by the grill
That grill is very light and thin. It seems like you can deform it simply by pushing harder with a finger. TBH I don't really understand what was the point.

Anyway, I, too, own DBR62, so obviously I'm wondering how does it compare to UBR62, which one can mistake for the former.

Mystical Boar

Here's a rough Amir's DBR62 in-room vs Erin's UBR62 in-room:
0N6dwxq.png

UBR62 look like at least noticeably less bassy speakers.

Music1969

Major Contributor
As do rear ports.

Based on what I have experienced, I'd take a problematic front port over a problematic rear port. The former tends to result in a dip where the latter results in a peak, on-axis.

In Amir's newest review, the Dynaudio Core 47:

1626836526527.png

kflw935641

That grill is very light and thin. It seems like you can deform it simply by pushing harder with a finger. TBH I don't really understand what was the point.
I heard it helps with dispersion. There is indeed the effect that waves spread into all directions when the hole they pass through is smaller than their wavelength. But I don't know how well this actually applies to speakers where there might be a lot more factors involved. It is explained somewhere in this video:

Last edited:
Top Bottom