• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Unifi Reference teasers

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I liked @Hotwetrat 's description of what he'd do to SMSL's letterbox. Fuggin' hilarious. :)

If they pulled that shit with me and I found out I'd piss through there letterbox - as a start.

Sounds like a bloke to have quite a few ales with on a friday night.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Contradicting voices are always welcome but please with some real content and not just paltry street expressions.
He did an impression of McGregor, I thought it was quite funny.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wow, so many useless posts in a row. Good job ruining this topic.

Just remember the ASR credo: "Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously."

dfuller

Major Contributor
In what situation would a front port be bad?
They can create some pretty serious cancellation dips if you're not careful with the design. Neumann in particular seems to be very good at dealing with this, but it's damned hard to get right.

HooStat

As do rear ports.

Based on what I have experienced, I'd take a problematic front port over a problematic rear port. The former tends to result in a dip where the latter results in a peak, on-axis.
Wouldn't you want a peak, so it could be EQ'd down? Maybe I am missing your point though.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
If you have EQ, I guess. But I'm just going off raw performance. Also, it seems a lot of the resonances I see from ports are very narrow in nature; most EQ won't be able to have a high enough Q to target just the peak without altering other frequencies around it. Dips are less noticeable (less offensive) as peaks.

McFly

In anechoic chambers, not so much. In room, a lot more.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I asked this exact question in the Youtube comments and you said port resonances beam out from the port and 'can be absorbed'. :p

It depends on the size and frequency. This is why I said "often". If it is high frequency and the port is large relative to the wavelength then it would be non-directional. If it is low and the port is small, it would be closer to omni. Stuffing a port completely seals it off; stopping the resonance from ever occurring. So, "it depends" is appropriate. ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stuffing a port completely seals it off; stopping the resonance from ever occurring.

That hasn't been my experience to be honest, I don't know why but port resonances continued when I stuffed the port.

I know this because i wanted to test whether my 'Klippel EQ' is still valid once i stuff the port.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Top Bottom