• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Unifi Reference teasers

Music1969

Major Contributor
All depends on the implementation.

Yes there are exceptions but based on number of measurements I've read over the years showing front port resonance, I would assume it is there until a measurement is done to show it isn't (like the Focal and Neumann you mention show).

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there are exceptions but based on number of measurements I've read over the years showing front port resonance, I would assume it is there until a measurement is done to show it isn't (like the Focal and Neumann you mention show).

Fair enough. The only thing I'd say though is that I'm personally not sure it's really that much better if the the port resonance shows up off axis. We're hearing a lot more of the off axis information at the frequencies the resonances show up, and rear ported speakers definitely show their issues off axis too. But yeah rear ported is probably a safer bet.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the same front port in the Elac dbr62 and Amirs measurements and listening test did not indicate any port resonance. He didn't measure it and the drivers directly to confirm though. So would like to see that to make sure. The front port design is very robust and I can't see how it would vibration and cause resonance. It's a 2d design cut into the bottom of the speaker itself so there is no plastic tube to vibration on its own. It may cavitate around the slot corners but can't tell with measuring directly.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Based on my data, this is what I have come to find from poorly designed ported enclosures:
Front ports typically have a null in response.
Rear ports typically result in a peak in response.

For that reason alone, I'll take a front port. I'd rather have a null than a peak that calls attention to itself.
And, the front port allows a bit more flexibility in placement (though, I don't expect most people buying a speaker like this to place it smack up next to a wall).

That's just my two cents, though.

jonfitch

Interesting crossover difference in newly introduced 3-way coaxial bookshelf speakers:

260 Hz, 1,800 Hz = Elac UBR62

280 Hz, 2,800 Hz = Kali IN-5 & IN-8

Seems like an interesting tweeter XO point. You don't usually see a crossover that low, especially on a coaxial tweeter. Seems like most coaxial tweeters are crossed over closer to 3k. I wonder what the design reason was for this, and if it affects power handling.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1800Hz tweeter crossover in a coaxial is bold, I hope they put a lot of optimization into the distortion profile. The KEF R3 is similar on a superficial level and they crossed over the tweeter at 2900Hz with extremely impressive results.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Port resonances tend to be a bigger (potential) issue with 2-ways anyhow. This being a 3-way I'm quite confident any such issues take place outside of the passband of the woofer.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When Elac updated the UB51 to the UB52 they lowered the upper crossover point from 2,700 to 2,000 Hz, so the even lower 1,800 Hz on the UBR62 is a continuation of that trend. Having such a low crossover point to a 1" dome tweeter is something that has often been cited as a weakness of many 2-way designs. The prevailing opinion seemed to be that a 3-way with ~3,000 Hz crossover to 1" dome tweeter would produce superior results. Elac seems to be taking a different path, which is why UBR62 vs. Kali IN-8 v2 measurements will be interesting.

jonfitch

When Elac updated the UB51 to the UB52 they lowered the upper crossover point from 2,700 to 2,000 Hz, so the even lower 1,800 Hz on the UBR62 is a continuation of that trend. Having such a low crossover point to a 1" dome tweeter is something that has often been cited as a weakness of many 2-way designs. The prevailing opinion seemed to be that a 3-way with ~3,000 Hz crossover to 1" dome tweeter would produce superior results. Elac seems to be taking a different path, which is why UBR62 vs. Kali IN-8 v2 measurements will be interesting.

I recall Andrew Jones in a past interview saying hes not too worried about the doppler effect. So that may be why he's decided to push the boundary. Usually most 3 way coaxial designs are conservative and try to limit the bandwidth of the midrange as much as possible. That's why you see high xo points with the tweeter and woofer (3k and 400hz are typical).

It'll be interesting to see if the tradeoffs are worth it.

Hotwetrat

Hello. Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere already but how come all these subjective reviewers have been sent these already (there's a slew of youtube videos about these being thrown at me) but Amir has not?

I am only really interested in Audioholics and Amir doing some good measurements and offering their opinions, and I'm also hoping GR Research does a tear down too.

The time of forcing transparency upon manufacturers is here and we should be fully exploiting it.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but how come all these subjective reviewers have been sent these already (there's a slew of youtube videos about these being thrown at me) but Amir has not?
Because the marketing department sends them to YouTube reviewers and magazines. They know the majority of their purchases will not be influenced much by what the measurements are (like how Harman measures all their speakers yet the Spinoramas aren‘t displayed on their websites).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also that's not typically how Amir works. People buy an item and send it to him for review. He doesn't typically get review units and he doesn't promise anything to manufacturers. If you want to see them measured the typical answer around here is to buy a pair and have them shipped to him for measurements. Then he can ship it to you or return it.

He likens himself to an independent auto mechanic who, if you bring him a car you want to buy, will look under the hood and tell you if it's any good.:)

joentell

Reviewer
Hello. Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere already but how come all these subjective reviewers have been sent these already (there's a slew of youtube videos about these being thrown at me) but Amir has not?

I am only really interested in Audioholics and Amir doing some good measurements and offering their opinions, and I'm also hoping GR Research does a tear down too.

The time of forcing transparency upon manufacturers is here, and we should be fully exploiting it.
I also do objective measurements to back up what I say in my videos. I've also recommended to ELAC and all companies to send their products out to as many reviewers as possible if they truly believe in their product. That's not on me to decide, but I did connect up @hardisj with the ELAC folks, so he has them in for review on his Klippel NFS. @amirm already has contact with the people at ELAC from what I've seen in previous posts. Next time you refer to YouTube reviewers, make sure to specify us by name since we're not all the same.

joentell

Reviewer
You do "reviews" on Youtube don't you? You are a Youtube reviewer. Simple.
I don't mind being called a YouTube reviewer. I did have these speakers prior to them being released and my video was posted with 3 other YouTube reviewers. I don't really like to be bundled in with some of the other "subjective reviewers" as I do measurements, I've consistency pushed for objective analysis of audio products, and I've gone out of my way to test the previous ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 when @amirm found and issue, and I was able to get @hardisj connected with ELAC so he could measure the Uni-Fi Reference. I've even had @amirm on a live stream on my channel to promote what he's doing here on ASR.

Anyway, it's not a big deal whatsoever. Just wanted to clarify. Let's move on.

holbob

What an eccentric performance.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What an eccentric performance.

We need some characters around here to stir the pot now and then.

Otherwise it risks becoming a sterile and boring echo chamber.

Last edited:
Top Bottom