• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we really need products designed to withstand testing rather than the use?

Is there some type of logo they can start putting on products if they are built to be able to run a sinewave through or high powered test tone for long periods? Personally, I'm not in favor of paying more for that feature.

It's not about extreme testing, it's just about keeping testing comparable across products. If Amir's going to listen at high levels & run 96dB sweeps on bookshelves, he should do the same on all of them regardless of manufacturer ratings. And the sweeps do show elevated distortion at that frequency even at lower levels, though it may not be audible.

People buy these types of speakers for home theatre and it's entirely possible they might want high volume. If something as cheap as the Infinity R162 or JBL Stage A130 with the same size woofer as this can withstand the testing, I don't see why a comparable product from Elac shouldn't be able to either.

If this was in fact just a flawed sample and re-testing shows that, then there's no issue IMO and the review should be edited. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with the testing procedure.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do we really need products designed to withstand testing rather than the use?

Is there some type of logo they can start putting on products if they are built to be able to run a sinewave through or high powered test tone for long periods? Personally, I'm not in favor of paying more for that feature.

It reminds me of the Sony receiver that died after forcing it to keep trying to play test tones at high power "I kept failing to get there at all frequencies with the amp shutting down or not getting to high enough distortion. Needing to play with the parameters a lot, " Keep in mind that this receiver has 3664 reviews on Amazon and 3334 of them are 4 star or better, meaning I don't think those people killed theirs playing test frequencies sweeps. So in the real world they aren't failing with music playing.

We need speakers that are designed for use, and we need for them to be able to withstand testing when the testing is reasonable. I don't think of pure sine waves as unreasonable except when the voltage level implies power in excess of the power rating of the speaker. I do have a specific concern with the test material that was used here, but it is with the specific music file that was used, not the sine waves. The music file is where the strong DC component is found. My sense is that this is not a realistic signal notwithstanding that it was encountered in a file that had been downloaded from somewhere and that other speakers had evidently handled it without similar difficulty. I wish that Mr. Jones would share his thoughts on this. My sense at present is that this should probably be regarded a defect in the file. I can't see as how a signal with a strong DC component could be picked up by a microphone, because this would mean that the microphone was sensitive to the ambient pressure, and microphones are not supposed to be sensitive to the ambient pressure. I am not inclined at present to regard this as a flaw of the speaker. If it happens that this is a common characteristic of downloaded files, then the music software used to play the file should probably have the means to remove DC. Note that I am assuming that the discovered anomaly was in fact connected to this feature in the file and to the driver behavior that Amir observed, where the cone move to one extreme of its travel and attempted to reproduce the music from a position already at the extreme of its travel.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
OK, it's taken a while, but here are my findings.
I sent them to Amir directly a week or so ago so he could take a look, and now I'm haring them with the group directly.
I had to wait to get the sample Amir had tested, since he had already returned it to the original owner. I contacted that owner to arrange to have it shipped to me , along with the other of the pair, once he received it. Since Amir had not noted the serial number I made sure the owner marked which one was the sample that was returned from Amir.
I also asked that he give it another listen to compare to the retained speaker, in light of Amir's findings
His response was that maybe, just maybe he heard something different, but wasn't totally sure that it wasn't just bias from knowing Amirs findings.

I have now studied the speaker samples; the one you tested, the other sample from the customer, and a number of samples I had in my lab.

These are my findings.

1/ The sample you tested has a trim ring that is slightly raised in a few places. This lifted it in such a way that it could potentially vibrate.
2/ It’s pair showed no such signs. The trim ring was properly seated.
3/ In my initial listening and testing sessions, I found no evidence of vibration (Rattling) during standard sweep testing or odd noises while listening to the test track you identified. These tests were done at normal test level and listening level.

In light of your comments about listening at high levels, and using an extremely powerful amplifier, I brought out an amplifier rated at 300W into the impedance of the speaker at the frequency in question.
I first listened with the test track and adjusted the level to just reach clipping point during that track segment. I could not hear the noise. I then raised the gain to push the amplifier into severe clipping, to the point that on the loudest vocals the voice was heavily modulated and distorted due to clipping. I could still not detect the noise you described. Nor could my colleague.

I then went to do sweep testing from an oscillator to try and zero in on that frequency range. At normal sweep testing levels I could not detect any odd noise.

However, if I increased the level to just below clipping on this test amplifier, in this case at 80W/5 ohms, I now heard a very noticeable rattle/vibration.
It was a little more obvious on the sample with the raised trim ring, but was still evident on the pair sample.

After a short while I went to push on the midrange cone to see if it might be rubbing on a potentially off-center tweeter, but was surprised that the midrange cone was very hot. The midrange driver has a voice coil wound on an aluminum former bonded to an aluminum cone. This gives quite a good heat transfer from coil to cone.
I let it cool down, and repeated the experiment. Same result. In just a matter of 10-15 seconds the cone became very hot.
This is a lot of power being dissipated in the driver. On music I have never noticed that cone getting warm, despite playing at loud levels even in show conditions.

Once I backed down the level a few dB, the vibration noise went away.

It seems that the vibration happens at high level. But this level is way beyond the rated power level of this speaker. Let me explain how we do our power testing and how it relates to the power contained in music rather than sine waves.

When we establish power rating on a speaker, we test with IEC noise (pink noise filtered to a limited bandwidth to represent a music spectrum, with a crest factor of 6dB) . Let’s say that we want to test for a Max power of 100W. We adjust the long term average power to 25W (6dB crest factor) equivalent to a 100W amplifier just at clipping. We then run the speaker for 96 hours at this level. This is severe. Over such a long period the speaker gets very hot, the drivers being much too hot to touch. After cooling down, we retest the speaker. It must pass the standard test limits we put on a production speaker.
We then increase the level to 33W and run for a further 24 hours. it must survive and shift its specs just moderately. After that we turn up the level to destruction point. The speaker must not catch fire.

This is a very severe overall test. Much more severe than regular music represents, and much more severe than the AES/IEC long term power handling test spec.

In the case of the UNIFI, the max power rating is 140W. The testing we do allows for up to 25 or 33W of continuous power. In testing this sample I had to put in 2-3 times that continuous power level, centered at the frequency of the issue, to excite the noise, and on music I tested at 2 times the max power level and just below clipping level of the amplifier and heard nothing. Even when running into gross clipping I only heard the effect of gross clipping of the amplifier

It seems that the level you were testing at was far in excess of the max power rating of the speaker. This could account for the comments from other listeners that have not heard the sound.

I will put the speaker back together, and get it, or a fresh sample, returned to you to continue your evaluation. I will also track down the rattle that I did hear when the speaker was grossly overdriven and report back.

Regards

Andrew Jones
ELAC

Thanks Andrew. Appreciate the follow up!

noobie1

OK, it's taken a while, but here are my findings.
I sent them to Amir directly a week or so ago so he could take a look, and now I'm haring them with the group directly.
I had to wait to get the sample Amir had tested, since he had already returned it to the original owner. I contacted that owner to arrange to have it shipped to me , along with the other of the pair, once he received it. Since Amir had not noted the serial number I made sure the owner marked which one was the sample that was returned from Amir.
I also asked that he give it another listen to compare to the retained speaker, in light of Amir's findings
His response was that maybe, just maybe he heard something different, but wasn't totally sure that it wasn't just bias from knowing Amirs findings.

I have now studied the speaker samples; the one you tested, the other sample from the customer, and a number of samples I had in my lab.

These are my findings.

1/ The sample you tested has a trim ring that is slightly raised in a few places. This lifted it in such a way that it could potentially vibrate.
2/ It’s pair showed no such signs. The trim ring was properly seated.
3/ In my initial listening and testing sessions, I found no evidence of vibration (Rattling) during standard sweep testing or odd noises while listening to the test track you identified. These tests were done at normal test level and listening level.

In light of your comments about listening at high levels, and using an extremely powerful amplifier, I brought out an amplifier rated at 300W into the impedance of the speaker at the frequency in question.
I first listened with the test track and adjusted the level to just reach clipping point during that track segment. I could not hear the noise. I then raised the gain to push the amplifier into severe clipping, to the point that on the loudest vocals the voice was heavily modulated and distorted due to clipping. I could still not detect the noise you described. Nor could my colleague.

I then went to do sweep testing from an oscillator to try and zero in on that frequency range. At normal sweep testing levels I could not detect any odd noise.

However, if I increased the level to just below clipping on this test amplifier, in this case at 80W/5 ohms, I now heard a very noticeable rattle/vibration.
It was a little more obvious on the sample with the raised trim ring, but was still evident on the pair sample.

After a short while I went to push on the midrange cone to see if it might be rubbing on a potentially off-center tweeter, but was surprised that the midrange cone was very hot. The midrange driver has a voice coil wound on an aluminum former bonded to an aluminum cone. This gives quite a good heat transfer from coil to cone.
I let it cool down, and repeated the experiment. Same result. In just a matter of 10-15 seconds the cone became very hot.
This is a lot of power being dissipated in the driver. On music I have never noticed that cone getting warm, despite playing at loud levels even in show conditions.

Once I backed down the level a few dB, the vibration noise went away.

It seems that the vibration happens at high level. But this level is way beyond the rated power level of this speaker. Let me explain how we do our power testing and how it relates to the power contained in music rather than sine waves.

When we establish power rating on a speaker, we test with IEC noise (pink noise filtered to a limited bandwidth to represent a music spectrum, with a crest factor of 6dB) . Let’s say that we want to test for a Max power of 100W. We adjust the long term average power to 25W (6dB crest factor) equivalent to a 100W amplifier just at clipping. We then run the speaker for 96 hours at this level. This is severe. Over such a long period the speaker gets very hot, the drivers being much too hot to touch. After cooling down, we retest the speaker. It must pass the standard test limits we put on a production speaker.
We then increase the level to 33W and run for a further 24 hours. it must survive and shift its specs just moderately. After that we turn up the level to destruction point. The speaker must not catch fire.

This is a very severe overall test. Much more severe than regular music represents, and much more severe than the AES/IEC long term power handling test spec.

In the case of the UNIFI, the max power rating is 140W. The testing we do allows for up to 25 or 33W of continuous power. In testing this sample I had to put in 2-3 times that continuous power level, centered at the frequency of the issue, to excite the noise, and on music I tested at 2 times the max power level and just below clipping level of the amplifier and heard nothing. Even when running into gross clipping I only heard the effect of gross clipping of the amplifier

It seems that the level you were testing at was far in excess of the max power rating of the speaker. This could account for the comments from other listeners that have not heard the sound.

I will put the speaker back together, and get it, or a fresh sample, returned to you to continue your evaluation. I will also track down the rattle that I did hear when the speaker was grossly overdriven and report back.

Regards

Andrew Jones
ELAC

Thank you Mr Jones. I have to say that the older TAD speakers you designed are showstoppers and on my short short list of end game speakers.

I also had a fantastic time in the ELAC demo room at the LA Audio Show couple of years ago. You and Peter were amazing hosts and were very gracious to my aspiring audiophile daughter. I really hope you will get a chance to design some cost no object speakers (on the level of the TADs) in the future.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who are saying this speaker is not good value compared to some other budget speakers, I would suggest making sure you really consider all aspects of what you are getting. The JBL A130 was mentioned in particular. I have the A130 and this speaker has very cheap cabinets with a lot of vibration. The A130 are good for the price but I have a feeling the Elac have a lot better cabinet construction (they weigh 1.5X as much overall so maybe the cabinet mass is about 2X or more?).

@amirm I think it would be a good addition to speaker reviews to measure the cabinet surface vibrations. Even if you don't think these are a problem it would give some feel for how much effort goes into the cabinet.

boselover61

For those who are saying this speaker is not good value compared to some other budget speakers, I would suggest making sure you really consider all aspects of what you are getting. The JBL A130 was mentioned in particular. I have the A130 and this speaker has very cheap cabinets with a lot of vibration. The A130 are good for the price but I have a feeling the Elac have a lot better cabinet construction (they weigh 1.5X as much overall so maybe the cabinet mass is about 2X or more?).

@amirm I think it would be a good addition to speaker reviews to measure the cabinet surface vibrations. Even if you don't think these are a problem it would give some feel for how much effort goes into the cabinet.
Much cheaply built and yet dont exhibit these same problem the elac does. Sense this does not make

Robin L

Master Contributor
After that slugfest between Amir & Alan, nice to see some mutual support from Mr. Jones.

MrPeabody

The Elac only shows those issues because Amir massively overdrove the speaker.

It isn't clear to me whether he did that, but I do think that there should be some discussion on whether the music file where the anomaly occurred is a suitable test for any speaker, even if it happens that other speakers handled it with no apparent problem. The encoding format supported a strong DC component in the music, and the amplifier allowed it to pass. But microphones aren't supposed to pick up ambient pressure, and I don't think it is reasonable to feed this kind of signal to a speaker, whereby the cone is driven far to one extreme of its travel, and then see whether it can still play music accurately and loudly with the cone offset in this manner from the normal rest position. Even if some speakers held up to this kind of test, it does seem to me that it is a reasonable test.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Elac only shows those issues because Amir massively overdrove the speaker.
This was the same test he performed on all speakers and the distortion measured is clear. You can compare which speakers do a better job controlling resonance under the same conditions. The measurements are clear that the distortion at that frequency exists at 96db for this particular speaker. I would like to see a new sample to see if this is a manufacturing defect or not.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Elac has their own spinorama data for this speaker it would be great to see it in order to understand of this is within the spec and design or not.

spacevector

Forum Donor

Can someone please check this calculation here:

The speaker seems to make 84dB SPL at 2.83V RMS around 500-600Hz. This is at 1m. I am getting this from the on-axis frequency response.

The test where Andrew found the rattle was done at 80W/5Ohms - so 20V RMS. So dB voltage change is 20*log(20/2.83) = 17dB. Resultant SPL at 1m is then expected to be 84+17 = 101dB

At 3m that's expected to be 101-20*log(3/1) = 91.46 dB SPL.

I am not sure how loud that really is at 500-600Hz - seems quite loud but not deafeningly so?

joentell

Reviewer
I really hate admitting when I'm wrong, (that's what objectivity is supposed to do,) but I CAN replicate what @amirm experienced at 585hz when I play a single tone and raise the volume. I experienced it at what I would consider a reasonable volume for a speaker of this size and price. (I won't go into specifics so as not to pretend this was a well-controlled test, but let's just say it was below the 0dB "reference level" on my AVR so I'm guessing BELOW 85dB-105dB at my listening position about 12ft away.) My AVR is the NAD T778 acting as a preamp. My power amp is the Parasound A52+ which is rated at 225wpc @ 4 ohms. It's possible I was pumping out more wattage than the speaker is rated for at that dB and that frequency. I don't know since I'm not measuring the wattage. I just know it's at a volume I would normally play my speakers in my small apartment, so not crazy loud compared to some other guys with dedicated theaters.

When I made my review of the UB52, I complained that I didn't like something about the highs coming from the tweeter. Having heard what I just heard, I'm wondering if it was the resonance from the aluminum-cone midrange making higher frequency sounds which I might have mistaken as coming from the tweeter.

I'll leave it to the engineers to discuss. I'm really just a dude who likes speakers who wishes I understood as much as these guys.

Last edited:

spacevector

Forum Donor
I really hate admitting when I'm wrong, (that's what objectivity is supposed to do,) but I CAN replicate what @amirm experienced at 585hz when I play a single tone and raise the volume. I experienced it at what I would consider a reasonable volume for a speaker of this size and price. (I won't go into specifics so as not to pretend this was a well-controlled test, but let's just say it was below the 0dB "reference level" on my AVR so I'm guessing 85dB-105dB at my listening position about 12ft away.) My AVR is the NAD T778 acting as a preamp. My power amp is the Parasound A52+ which is rated at 225wpc @ 4 ohms. It's possible I was pumping out more wattage than the speaker is rated for at that dB and that frequency. I don't know since I'm not measuring the wattage. I just know it's at a volume I would normally play my speakers in my small apartment, so not crazy loud compared to some other guys with dedicated theaters.

When I made my review of the UB52, I complained that I didn't like something about the highs coming from the tweeter. Having heard what I just heard, I'm wondering if it was the resonance from the aluminum-cone midrange making higher frequency sounds which I might have mistaken as coming from the tweeter.

I'll leave it to the engineers to discuss. I'm really just a dude who likes speakers who wishes I understood as much as these guys.
Joe, pretty please can you take SPL measurement at your LP when you start hearing the distortion?

Also if you run this test again, can you fondle the woofer after to see if it get warm/hot?

joentell

Reviewer
Joe, pretty please can you take SPL measurement at your LP when you start hearing the distortion?

Also if you run this test again, can you fondle the woofer after to see if it get warm/hot?
I cannot right now since the kids have taken over the home theater, but just know that it was at a pretty low volume to excite the resonance on one speaker, where the other speakers, center and right speaker didn't make the sound until I turned it up even more. Again, not scientific whatsoever.

Here's as scientific as I can get right now.
Low/mid volume: my kids were still in the room.
Louder volume: kids ran to the other room and it annoyed my ears after extended periods.

Also, fondling woofers sounds a bit creepy. I did touch the midrange and after 20 seconds of it playing the 585hz tone and it was warm, but I can confirm that it indeed did not catch fire.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

@joentell, it's worth checking on your speakers what @AndrewJ found on the ASR test unit:

a trim ring that is slightly raised in a few places. This lifted it in such a way that it could potentially vibrate.

Top Bottom