• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you still refusing to evaluate speakers in pairs? I continue to maintain those sort of subjective evaluations are meaningless and not useful to the consumer.
Funny there then that I found this issue with one speaker and all the other subjective reviewers using two did not!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ridiculous. That’s almost like publishing half a review. Very disappointing, Amir.
Please heed the notice at the start of speaker reviews:

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

I will issue a reply ban to you based on our new rules for review threads.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you still refusing to evaluate speakers in pairs? I continue to maintain those sort of subjective evaluations are meaningless and not useful to the consumer.

The best audio science we have clearly shows that using just one speaker is the best way to evaluate loudspeakers, why would he not use one speaker? Using 2 speakers would be anti science, and adherence to science is thing I love most about this site.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would also add that subjectively, you can hear a lot of spatial issues with a single speaker. A really good speaker playing alone can have clear separation of musical instruments and layering in space from front to back.

The one thing I dispute with the single speaker testing, is the overall tonality. In my experience a single speaker should sound a bit light in the bass, since two speakers will tend to reinforce bass more than other frequencies.

YSC

Major Contributor
I used to feel ELAC is among those top tier brands and wanted one (without the budget to do so with the amp) but as far as I remember almost all don't have really good measurements in real life... I used to really want a BS403 with AMT driver

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing I dispute with the single speaker testing, is the overall tonality. In my experience a single speaker should sound a bit light in the bass, since two speakers will tend to reinforce bass more than other frequencies.

Actually when I measure both of my speakers at the same time i notice a dip or two extra in bass because the two speakers together can generate a standing wave on their own below the transition frequency.

This is not a problem for the Klippel i think, but for the inexperienced eye with regular equipment,they might think this is a speaker flaw.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a sound basis for evaluating speakers in mono. Over 100 speakers have been evaluated in this manner and it isn’t going to change, nor should it. Amir is putting a tremendous amount of time, effort and expense. Please show some respect by keeping your objections on methodology in the speaker measurement complaints thread as to not clutter up these review threads.

wwenze

Major Contributor

However tonality is also affected by the room and also subjective preference / memory, which means subjective reviews are only accurate when directly comparing two speakers under the same condition to begin with. And if that is the case, single/double doesn't matter.

I would raise my pitchfork *if* for example the subjective review is carried out like: I listen to my reference under condition 1, and then I go to another place and listen to a single speaker or a pair at another location, and then try to make a subjective review. But if so, I would have to raise my pitchfork for the majority of reviewers anyway.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
There is a sound basis for evaluating speakers in mono. Over 100 speakers have been evaluated in this manner and it isn’t going to change, nor should it. Amir is putting a tremendous amount of time, effort and expense. Please show some respect by keeping your objections on methodology in the speaker measurement complaints thread as to not clutter up these review threads.
Come on Elac fanboys. Get over it.

pma

Major Contributor
@amirm , could you please disclose which amplifier feeds your speaker under test during listening part of your review? Thank you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , could you please disclose which amplifier feeds your speaker under test during listening part of your review? Thank you.
Mark Levinson No 53:

No53-drama.png

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't know why there would be a surprise. Not like I assumed they validate their designs anyway. Reminds of companies that take OEM parts, or such, and just use their specs, to advertise or something. Goes back to the whole assumption I have that many of these speaker companies are just putting things together, where you have no idea if the higher costing product is actually objectively better performing (and for that matter, niether do they, unless they're a big player with a basis in research or a basis in providing parts for others to use).

That resonance is just silly. I can't fathom a case where this could ever slip by.
I'm not sure it would be obvious from the impedance curve, since cabinet vibration modes are pretty common in that range. But the most likely candidate would seem to be a breakup mode from the aluminum woofer, which would be obvious. Amir--is there some reason we don't have the usual individual driver and port measurements published here?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Amir mentioned that the problem is with this speaker due to the resonance around 600hz, well designed speakers should not have the issue

edit: would have been interesting if Amir had done the separate graphs he does for woofer, port etc. resonance could be a port issue?

Now I'm really interested in how that squeak sounds like. Considering 100 speakers have done the track without issue.

It might be something that doesn't affect the measurements much but a horror show subjectively. Like a dead pixel on a screen.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir--is there some reason we don't have the usual individual driver and port measurements published here?
I just didn't see the point of showing other measurements when we had a core issue. Here it is anyway:

Driver Components Near Field.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This adds more data to the growing pile that you can't rely on Brand as a proxy for quality. One speaker in the lineup performs really well and the next one is defective. Buyers will need to judge each speaker individually and make no assumptions that the quality of one model in any way translates to another. :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting how the distortion from the port clearly shows the problem:
Port Distortion.png

Seems like the cabinet is amplifying it and then comes out of the port? It does not show up as a port resonance.

Top Bottom