• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

AndrewJ

Technical Expert
Wow, that escalated quickly, and then veered into Bose. I now know I'm truly on an audiophile page!!
So, to cut through all the wild speculation and mis-quotes about how I go direct from computer to production, or don't measure in production etc, and to get straight to the issue;
Summary-A potential fault was observed in one sample of a product shipped in non-standard packing, from a source other than the manufacturer. As a result of this observation, made with no attempt to identify the cause of the issue, a stop the test and stop the presses and an announcement is made that this product cannot be recommended. Pages of comment ensue. Lots of people chime in that do not have the product themselves and so cannot properly contribute to identifying the cause. Some people that do have the product chime in that say they cannot hear this issue. Then some further statement is made that it can only be heard under certain circumstances. Then the solution is apparently that the faulty product is going to be returned to the source to be sent back to Amazon and lost forever to further investigation.
Did I get that summary close?
Do I sound miffed?
Have I ever sounded miffed before, EVER?

OK, having got that off my chest, let me step back and sound like my usual more reasonable self :)

First, I am not going to comment on issues of frequency balance or issues with the measured frequency response curves. I don't generally comment on a reviewers subjective findings. You like them, you don't like them. Not everyone likes what I do. That's OK. What you like to listen to is clearly subjective. Interpretation of measure responses is subjective. I don't get upset if folks don't like my speakers. Although to qualify that. I guess I would be very upset if NO-ONE liked my speakers.... LOL

Second, and more to the issue at hand, this sounds like a mechanical issue. It appears to be very narrow bandwidth which is why I say this. Something is resonating and vibrating.
There are cabinet vibrations in this frequency range. There are in any speaker at this price point. My speculation is something that is mechanically coupled is vibrating. I took a sample from my lab and did a slow sweep with a good old fashioned analog oscillator, so I could sweep slowly back and forth around 600Hz. Yes, the cabinet is lively in that range, and what I first heard was rattling of the binding posts on the terminal panel (I was using banana plugs to connect to the speaker). Once I tightened them the problem went away. The interesting thing is, that result of the rattle could be heard on every panel of the speaker when I put my ear close. I've had this happen before, once on a TAD speaker where I traced it to the speaker cable plug cover, and another time to a loose spiked foot on the speaker stand. Based on these experiences and extrapolating to the descriptions given, leads me to my assumptions that it is a mechanical issue. Especially as it seems to be level dependent. It's particularly interesting that the effect seemed to be different the next day, and was only detectable at high levels.
The fact that there seemed to be a large negative, momentary, near DC component immediately proceeding the noise is possibly a red herring, but it is mere conjecture at this point.
Now I have not yet listened at the level I think that was used in the test. I still have to continue investigating, but I have rarely played at levels where I see any significant movement of the midrange cone. This fact does surprise me.

So, what is the solution. Sending back the speaker from whence it came seems the worst option. Lost forever, never to be investigated. Leaving an odd question mark about ELAC quality control or my ability to design and manufacture a product? Indeed if I remember correctly, it was stated that the original owner could not hear the sound from the other speaker of the pair? If so, did that owner ever hear any issue the speaker sample that is under investigation?

It seems that my best option is to purchase the pair of speakers from the original owner, and pay to have them shipped to me for a throrough investigation.
I will be in direct contact to determine if this can be agreed upon.

Best regards

Andrew Jones
ELAC

p.s. "miffed" is being polite..... ;)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
It seems that my best option is to purchase the pair of speakers from the original owner, and pay to have them shipped to me for a throrough investigation.
That would be a fantastic outcome. It has been very informative when designers and manufacturers have assisted us with issues because we always end up learning something interesting as a result. I'm sure we are all curious to see what can be found in this case. Thank you for taking the time to digest what we've written so far, for braving the forum, and for offering to take on this project.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Wow, that escalated quickly, and then veered into Bose. I now know I'm truly on an audiophile page!!

I read this line - without having a clue who wrote it at first - and laughed out loud. Then I read the next sentence, looked at the name and thought "oh, Andrew is here!". I gotta say, that opening sentence got me. Cheers!

BillH

Forum Donor
So after 15 pages what have we learned?
1. Tempers flare easily.
2. The speaker may in fact have a mechanical issue.
3. ASR is having a profound impact for those who care about high fidelity. I am grateful for all I have learned through this website. As more manufacturers take notice, I may someday be able to find an AVR that is worth buying.

xarkkon

So, to cut through all the wild speculation and mis-quotes about how I go direct from computer to production, or don't measure in production etc, and to get straight to the issue;
Summary-A potential fault was observed in one sample of a product shipped in non-standard packing, from a source other than the manufacturer. As a result of this observation, made with no attempt to identify the cause of the issue, a stop the test and stop the presses and an announcement is made that this product cannot be recommended. Pages of comment ensue. Lots of people chime in that do not have the product themselves and so cannot properly contribute to identifying the cause. Some people that do have the product chime in that say they cannot hear this issue. Then some further statement is made that it can only be heard under certain circumstances. Then the solution is apparently that the faulty product is going to be returned to the source to be sent back to Amazon and lost forever to further investigation.
Do I sound miffed?

OK, having got that off my chest, let me step back and sound like my usual more reasonable self :)

First, I am not going to comment on issues of frequency balance or issues with the measured frequency response curves. I don't generally comment on a reviewers subjective findings. You like them, you don't like them. Not everyone likes what I do. That's OK. What you like to listen to is clearly subjective. Interpretation of measure responses is subjective. I don't get upset if folks don't like my speakers. Although to qualify that. I guess I would be very upset if NO-ONE liked my speakers.... LOL

Second, and more to the issue at hand, this sounds like a mechanical issue. It appears to be very narrow bandwidth which is why I say this. Something is resonating and vibrating.
There are cabinet vibrations in this frequency range. There are in any speaker at this price point. My speculation is something that is mechanically coupled is vibrating. I took a sample from my lab and did a slow sweep with a good old fashioned analog oscillator, so I could sweep slowly back and forth around 600Hz. Yes, the cabinet is lively in that range, and what I first heard was rattling of the binding posts on the terminal panel (I was using banana plugs to connect to the speaker). Once I tightened them the problem went away. The interesting thing is, that result of the rattle could be heard on every panel of the speaker when I put my ear close. I've had this happen before, once on a TAD speaker where I traced it to the speaker cable plug cover, and another time to a loose spiked foot on the speaker stand. Based on these experiences and extrapolating to the descriptions given, leads me to my assumptions that it is a mechanical issue. Especially as it seems to be level dependent. It's particularly interesting that the effect seemed to be different the next day, and was only detectable at high levels.
The fact that there seemed to be a large negative, momentary, near DC component immediately proceeding the noise is possibly a red herring, but it is mere conjecture at this point.
Now I have not yet listened at the level I think that was used in the test. I still have to continue investigating, but I have rarely played at levels where I see any significant movement of the midrange cone. This fact does surprise me.

So, what is the solution. Sending back the speaker from whence it came seems the worst option. Lost forever, never to be investigated. Leaving an odd question mark about ELAC quality control or my ability to design and manufacture a product? Indeed if I remember correctly, it was stated that the original owner could not hear the sound from the other speaker of the pair? If so, did that owner ever hear any issue the speaker sample that is under investigation?

Best regards

Andrew Jones
ELAC

Great hearing from you! If it's of any comfort, across all 16 pages of comments, I don't think a single person has questioned your ability to design a great audio product :)

xarkkon

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do I sound miffed?

Best regards

Andrew Jones
ELAC

Thanks for the reply! It’s a good deal to hear from the speaker designer!

If it makes you feel any better, I’m listening to your DBR-62s right now, as I often do in the evenings, as a result of the review at ASR, and the extensive feedback from other members who enjoy them, consistent with @amirm’s review. So I was able to buy the DBR-62s and be pretty darn confident about what I was getting. Otherwise I would never have paid that much for speakers. :)

So. . . If @amirm found a mechanical issue in the Uni-Fi 2.0 perhaps you should should be miffed. . . But not at him. If it’s there, it’s there. It’s not up to him to make it right—in fact, if it’s a production issue, he can’t make it right. It’s his choice and policy to report it honestly, and give you a chance to reply. This he has done. As you have surmised, if you look in the mirror you will find at least one person who can make it right, and who has been clearly offered that opportunity.

So yeah, be miffed . . you should. . . At the current state of affairs in the industry, IMHO. Unflinching honesty and the chance from @amirm for you to make things right or call into question his findings is the antidote we have stumbled upon in this little corner of the world. If he’s wrong, or if you think this is unfair, you have more than ample opportunity to say so, right here! We’ll greatly value your feedback and any insights you may have. On balance, I think you will be well-liked and admired here, for your disposition and for your accomplishments, evident upon thorough review and corroboration by multiple members, and continue to sell speakers. Not so bad, is it, compared to the world’s bigger problems?

And thank you for the DBR-62s!!!! Sincerely! :cool:

Last edited:

AndrewJ

Technical Expert
Hi StevenEleven.
Thanks for your comments, and glad you like the DBR-62 :p
The question about the resonance issue and the noise is not about whether it exists in that sample, it's whether it exists in other samples and whether it is endemic to the design, or is a manufacturing defect or a solo sample defect. I'm not questioning his right to call out his observation on what he saw. My concern is regarding speculation as to the cause from a single sample survey.
I can see from your comment about other reviewers that you have little love for them. That's OK. Your choice. It might not surprise you that I try to be cordial to most people, and have lots of friends in this industry divided between customers, manufacturers and reviewers, even reviewers that have never reviewed my products, and those that have given me bad reviews! I would challenge you on your statement that I maintain these relationships only because it serves a monetary purpose. I'm sorry, but that's below the belt.
I have friends of all sorts of points of view, and can remain friends while putting aside issues we passionately disagree on. I understand that you put your eggs in the ASR basket. That's great. Amir is in a fairly unique position with having the spinnerama. Its a useful tool in the absence of a true anechoic environment, and its good to be able to rapidly evaluate aspects of measured performance. I'm happy he is able to offer the service he does.
I was miffed more about the comments that were generated, and the, in some cases, wild speculation. Like Amir, I'm a scientist and an engineer. I like to work with facts and chase down oddities to learn more, and forums like this are very valuable. My big problem is that I just don't have the time to monitor every forum out there. In fact it took me most of this morning to read all fifteen pages of comments in this thread ! I have more speakers to design, always more speakers!...LOL. I will however make an effort to be involved with this site, and as I just said to Amir, I'll actually respond to emails he sends to me. It wasn't any deliberate snub, it was simply me being very bad at following up.
In the end, it's all about enjoying the music ..... oh wait, that's the tag line of one of the reviewers you probably don't like....LOL :)
Cheers

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Hi StevenEleven.
Thanks for your comments, and glad you like the DBR-62 :p
The question about the resonance issue and the noise is not about whether it exists in that sample, it's whether it exists in other samples and whether it is endemic to the design, or is a manufacturing defect or a solo sample defect. I'm not questioning his right to call out his observation on what he saw. My concern is regarding speculation as to the cause from a single sample survey.
I can see from your comment about other reviewers that you have little love for them. That's OK. Your choice. It might not surprise you that I try to be cordial to most people, and have lots of friends in this industry divided between customers, manufacturers and reviewers, even reviewers that have never reviewed my products, and those that have given me bad reviews! I would challenge you on your statement that I maintain these relationships only because it serves a monetary purpose. I'm sorry, but that's below the belt.
I have friends of all sorts of points of view, and can remain friends while putting aside issues we passionately disagree on. I understand that you put your eggs in the ASR basket. That's great. Amir is in a fairly unique position with having the spinnerama. Its a useful tool in the absence of a true anechoic environment, and its good to be able to rapidly evaluate aspects of measured performance. I'm happy he is able to offer the service he does.
I was miffed more about the comments that were generated, and the, in some cases, wild speculation. Like Amir, I'm a scientist and an engineer. I like to work with facts and chase down oddities to learn more, and forums like this are very valuable. My big problem is that I just don't have the time to monitor every forum out there. In fact it took me most of this morning to read all fifteen pages of comments in this thread ! I have more speakers to design, always more speakers!...LOL. I will however make an effort to be involved with this site, and as I just said to Amir, I'll actually respond to emails he sends to me. It wasn't any deliberate snub, it was simply me being very bad at following up.
In the end, it's all about enjoying the music ..... oh wait, that's the tag line of one of the reviewers you probably don't like....LOL :)
Cheers

Thanks for your reply! I have taken your criticism under advisement, deemed it to be of considerable merit, and edited my post accordingly. Which means it’s shorter. Which, for me, is usually an improvement. :p

You seem to be a genuinely kind person, so that helps, it comes through. I don’t doubt that you like people because well, you like people. I am pretty much the same way, some people might say to a fault. But based on my experiences I do think the overall audio industry dynamic is dishonest and full of misinformation and deceptive marketing. It is unfairly and unnecessarily stacked against your average Joe who just wants to buy a nice set of audio gear. I stand by that opinion, steadfastly. :)

You are right, the dynamic here does get way too overheated and unfeeling and goes off on wild and speculative tangents at times, absolutely. There is significant room for improvement. Our kind host is not always spared, either, unfortunately.

Last edited:

xarkkon

i don't know what you're trying to point out with these examples. i'm saying no one has questioned andrew jones' design capabilities when i wrote "I don't think a single person has questioned your ability to design a great audio product"

i'm NOT saying that no one has called out the single sample with amir as being poorly designed and/or manufactured.

even in amir's review he was very clear in stating that the speakers came from "the talented Andrew Jones."

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
@AndrewJ You're a fool! The Pioneer BS52s in my TV room (with a little bit of Audyssey correction) perform so well I've felt no need to upgrade. How do you expect to sell me new speakers when I like the old ones so much? You could have at least made them fragile. But no, they're still ticking along even though the dog has knocked the one on the right over at least half a dozen times.

In all seriousness: thanks for the work you do and for your willingness to connect with the community.

Those "budget" Pioneer speakers were my gateway into this fun hobby and I know they were for others as well. And cheap enough that I bought a pair or two for friends.

Gracias, sir. :)

Last edited:

SmackDaddies

Summary-A potential fault was observed in one sample of a product shipped in non-standard packing, from a source other than the manufacturer. As a result of this observation, made with no attempt to identify the cause of the issue, a stop the test and stop the presses and an announcement is made that this product cannot be recommended.
That is a good summary

jeroboam

I respectfully suggest that this thread be closed until either Amir or Mr Jones reports the outcome of his investigation.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
If action is to be taken I think a "pending investigation" note (or some such thing) added to the review itself would be most valuable.

I suspect most casual visitors read Amir's initial review only, not the many pages of discussion.

edit: To be clear (since there has been misunderstanding before) I'm not suggesting Amir is obligated to investigate or perform "extra" work himself. Just a note that others are looking into it and/or that there's reason to suspect this sample may have been damaged.

Last edited:

More Dynamics Please

"Pending investigation" is already stated in the conclusion of the review by virtue of the following wording which includes "for now":
I guess it is possible this one speaker sample has an issue in which case I encourage Elac to try to replicate this problem and let us know what is going on.
For now, I can not recommend the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0.

Top Bottom