• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Eldus

I like the black/dark wood grain variety myself. Grills off as I like the sound better with them removed.

Livnmuskoka

Anyone have any experience with the Uni-Fi (UBR62) version? It cost more it has to be better, right?

The UBR62's don't measure as well in my room compared to the DBR62's. But in my system all that matters is that they both smooth out on their own by 900hz and they do.
So that way I only have to calibrate up to 900hz and then both speakers have a natural dip in the most fatiguing 1khz - 4khz area, and that's a huge deal to my sensitive ears.
The DBR62's have a couple dB higher sensitivity, but the UBR62's do have better clarity/detail and more solid build.
Do I think the UBR62's are worth double the price of the DBR62's? No.
But now that I have the UBR62's I wouldn't go back to the DBR62's in my main system. I'm enjoying the extra detail again from previously having higher end speakers.
But the DBR62's do have very good detail. And they are the best all around speakers I've heard that under the price of the UBR62's. And the UBR62's are the best I've heard under $4,000.
The cheapest speakers that I know I'd replace the UBR62's with right now are Kef Reference 1's, and they're about 6x the price.

Last edited:

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
The UBR62's don't measure as well in my room compared to the DBR62's. But in my system all that matters is that they both smooth out on their own by 900hz and they do.
So that way I only have to calibrate up to 900hz and then both speakers have a natural dip in the most fatiguing 1khz - 4khz area, and that's a huge deal to my sensitive ears.
The DBR62's have a couple dB higher sensitivity, but the UBR62's do have better clarity/detail and more solid build.
Do I think the UBR62's are worth double the price of the DBR62's? No.
But now that I have the UBR62's I wouldn't go back to the DBR62's in my main system. I'm enjoying the extra detail again from previously having higher end speakers.
Thanks, I think I'll demo both from Amazon, can't think of a reason not to.

thetrystero

should i get a second pair of dbr-62s for my home or try something else? the m16s are quite a bit more (about USD300) than the DBR-62s. do i get 50% the better performance from them? on the other hand if i stick with the elacs, I won't be "broadening my horizons"

DeepShadow

I just order a pair of Elac Debut Reference DBR-62...thank you.

akarma

Did anyone have a chance to compare Elac with Dynaudio DM 2/7, Emit M20, Excite 16?

stva

Hello everybody as this is my first post here! Thanks for all the valuable information you provide.

Can anyone tell me the minimum recommended listening distance for these speakers? I'm planning to use them really close (about 0.7 m) and I can't decide between these and Genelec 8030.

PeterMac

stva - I seat from them even closer ~0,6m and they sound awesome and not fatigue. Only cause by my really small room I have some problems with bass.

marcello252

that's really close imho, I feel they would perform much better with some air around .
Keep an eye on the first reflections however

stva

that's really close imho
I feel the same, but only by looking at the physical size and specs. I wish I could test them before deciding between Elac and Genelec, but I have no way to do this where I live. Nobody is showcasing the Elacs

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
should i get a second pair of dbr-62s for my home or try something else? the m16s are quite a bit more (about USD300) than the DBR-62s. do i get 50% the better performance from them? on the other hand if i stick with the elacs, I won't be "broadening my horizons"

I'd say try something else. It's fun to compare, and it helps you understand what you might want for future purchases more.

TheWalkman

Listening to Amir has set me back another $500.....

Based on this review, I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger for a pair on sale from Amazon. (I need these speakers like I need another book to stack on my reading pile....)

With my one-full-day of break-in, I can objectively say I really like these speakers. I'm really amazed at just how great they sound.

The Elacs have a very smooth response and the high-end seems crisper and clearer than the Debuts or Debut 2.0 (though I didn't do side-by-side listening tests.)

For smallish speakers, they have a surprising amount of bass though they don't have the grin inducing, chest-rattling , "punch" of my old JBL L65's. That said, they certainly don't sound anemic and as suggested at the top of this thread, with an appropriately crossed sub, they would make Stanley Clarke or Brian Bromberg pop.

For vocals, I think these speakers are hard to beat.

I also like the aesthetics. Unlike every other bookshelf that's black on black, the faux wood grain and canvas grills bring back memories of the old Advents may friends had years ago.

FYI, I'm driving these with my Aiyima A04 which seems to do a reasonable job.

Bottomline: great speakers.

Personal note: I need to spend more time visiting other websites. Amir and his danged recommendations are costing me a small fortune! But I don't have a problem. (At least that's what I tell myself!)

Last edited:

TheWalkman

Listening to Amir has set me back another $500.....

Based on this review, I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger for a pair on sale from Amazon. (I need these speakers like I need another book to stack on my reading pile....)

With my one-full-day of break-in, I can objectively say I really like these speakers. I'm really amazed at just how great they sound.

The Elacs have a very smooth response and the high-end seems crisper and clearer than the Debuts or Debut 2.0 (though I didn't do side-by-side listening tests.)

For smallish speakers, they have a surprising amount of bass though they don't have the grin inducing, chest-rattling , "punch" of my old JBL L65's. That said, they certainly don't sound anemic and as suggested at the top of this thread, with an appropriately crossed sub, they would make Stanley Clarke or Brian Bromberg pop.

For vocals, I think these speakers are hard to beat.

I also like the aesthetics. Unlike every other bookshelf that's black on black, the faux wood grain and canvas grills bring back memories of the old Advents may friends had years ago.

FYI, I'm driving these with my Aiyima A04 which seems to do a reasonable job.

Bottomline: great speakers.

Personal note: I need to spend more time visiting other websites. Amir and his danged recommendations are costing me a small fortune! But I don't have a problem. (At least that's what I tell myself!)

Dang, I really like these speakers…..

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everybody as this is my first post here! Thanks for all the valuable information you provide.

Can anyone tell me the minimum recommended listening distance for these speakers? I'm planning to use them really close (about 0.7 m) and I can't decide between these and Genelec 8030.
I heard both the Genelec 8030C (which I own) and the DBR-62 at @renaudrenaud 's.
In my opinion, the Genelec are more neutral. But the DBR-62 can probably play louder.

IMO: if you only plan to use the speakers for close listening, get the Genelecs. If you plan to use them in a living-room some day, get the DBR-62.

UniPolar

Christmas arrived early this year. Somehow my credit card magically ordered a pair [ insert shame emoticon here ] of these Reference DBR-62's .

They are very enjoyable in my listening space without any EQ'ing. This is very fortunate, since with my insatiable OCD, I would have the need to be constantly tweaking ... :)

I find myself mindlessly tapping my toes more frequently thanks to these...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Christmas arrived early this year. Somehow my credit card magically ordered a pair [ insert shame emoticon here ] of these Reference DBR-62's .

They are very enjoyable in my listening space without any EQ'ing. This is very fortunate, since with my insatiable OCD, I would have the need to be constantly tweaking ... :)

I find myself mindlessly tapping my toes more frequently thanks to these...
Not native English here... What is OCD?

Newman

Major Contributor
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Often used in popular discourse to mean obsessed with rearranging things until they are exactly right....and then start again.

Top Bottom