• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

liquidman101

Hi , I tried audiolab 6000a (8ohm 50W , 4ohm 75W) and I have no complains, enough power to drive these.. at this moment Elacs play with Magnat Mr-780 (8ohm 75W, 4ohm 100W) and it seems that its less power ? but it sounds so good! This is what I ment.
Regards
I must admit I had not heard of the magnat Mr - 780 - looks like a very well made amp. The Audiolab might suit my budget a bit better at the moment.

I am a bit surprised though - I hear a lot of audiophiles suggest that more should be spent on speakers than any other component in a system - yet your amplifier is much more expensive than your speakers? Am I right? Thanks again for your advice.

Fuzziekiwi

Regardless of frequency response, many speakers have greater clarity or resolution than the DBR-62's.
Kef Reference 1's, Kharma Elegance S7's, Bryston Mini T's, just a few examples that I've owned or heard many times.
So is it the much better drivers and boxes only that are contributing with those speakers, or the premium crossover parts as well?
Or are the drivers and boxes of the DBR-62's not good enough to show any crossover upgrades?
Or has nobody else here heard any higher end speakers than DBR-62's to know what I'm talking about with greater clarity and resolution?
Not trying to being a smart ass, just wondering why it couldn't make a very small but positive difference, say even 5% better clarity?

I tried KEF Q150's side by side with the ELACs and can say those are more detailed and had a bigger more pinpoint soundstage, but were too fatiguing for me. For it was rather: would you want something pleasing to listen to at the expense of less detail and smaller soundstage or a detail monster that is fun but fatiguing?

Not only that but vocals and things like saxophones just have that lower end that sounds like a sax should.

At the end of the day it's all tradeoffs. Most people will still have a fun time listening to either unless you set them side by side or have experience with multiple speakers.

Last edited:

pio80

I am a bit surprised though - I hear a lot of audiophiles suggest that more should be spent on speakers than any other component in a system - yet your amplifier is much more expensive than your speakers? Am I right? Thanks again for your advice.

Not really , just a little bit but
Should We spend more on speakers? Amir shows something different..

Livnmuskoka

I tried KEF Q150's side by side with the ELACs and can say those are more detailed and had a bigger more pinpoint soundstage, but were too fatiguing for me. For it was rather: would you want something pleasing to listen to at the expensive of less detail and smaller soundstage or a detail monster that is fun but fatiguing?

Not only that but vocals and things like saxophones just have that lower end that sounds like a sax should.

At the end of the day it's all tradeoffs. Most people will still have a fun time listening to either unless you set them side by side or have experience with multiple speakers.

I can't handle really bright speakers, my ears are too sensitive, especially in the most fatiguing 1khz to 4khz range. I'll take the DBR-62's over that any day.

Livnmuskoka

I must admit I had not heard of the magnat Mr - 780 - looks like a very well made amp. The Audiolab might suit my budget a bit better at the moment.

If you don't need a crazy amount of power, the Yamaha wxa-50 amp measures well here on ASR.
The March audio P502 seems like one of the best deals for higher power output and excellent measurements. The Denon X3600h also measures well here, for a multi-channel option.

liquidman101

If you don't need a crazy amount of power, the Yamaha wxa-50 amp measures well here on ASR.
The March audio P502 seems like one of the best deals for higher power output and excellent measurements. The Denon X3600h also measures well here, for a multi-channel option.
Thanks for the advice on amps Livnmuskoka - can I ask - I had a look at the March audio P502 - am I reading that power output right? Is that too much power for the bookshelf Elac DBRs?

liquidman101

Just realised March Audio is an Australian company.

Livnmuskoka

Thanks for the advice on amps Livnmuskoka - can I ask - I had a look at the March audio P502 - am I reading that power output right? Is that too much power for the bookshelf Elac DBRs?

Speakers are usually damaged from less powerful amps that can't achieve the volume you want without running out of power and clipping.
With that March P502 I bet if you didn't turn the volume past half, the speakers would handle that power for as long as you would ever want to listen.
I've ran speakers rated at 80 watts max before with a 300 watt x 2 amp at half volume for several minutes and they handled the clean power great, but that was long enough hearing the speakers that loud.

liquidman101

Speakers are usually damaged from less powerful amps that can't achieve the volume you want without running out of power and clipping.
With that March P502 I bet if you didn't turn the volume past half, the speakers would handle that power for as long as you would ever want to listen.
I've ran speakers rated at 80 watts max before with a 300 watt x 2 amp at half volume for several minutes and they handled the clean power great, but that was long enough hearing the speakers that loud.
Just one more question if you have time - do you have any problems with the amp being class D? I read somewhere that audiophiles try to avoid them?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just one more question if you have time - do you have any problems with the amp being class D? I read somewhere that audiophiles try to avoid them?
No problems with Hypex NCore & Purifi. NAD and several other big manufacturers use the same modules. If you're looking at the March Audio amp, you can also check out the NC252MP alternative. Still plenty of power and a couple hundred less.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Please not this assertion again.

Ten years ago Class D was the future. Ten years later it's done and class AB and others are going to niche market.

Have a look in class D best products performances and you will easily understand why.

liquidman101

No problems with Hypex NCore & Purifi. NAD and several other big manufacturers use the same modules. If you're looking at the March Audio amp, you can also check out the NC252MP alternative. Still plenty of power and a couple hundred less.
Thanks, I actually sent a message to Alan March and he said the same thing the 502 is prob a bit OTT for the Elacs that I'm thinking of getting. Thank you for your advice.

Can I ask another possibly silly question? Do I need a pre-amp and DAC to match with the NC252MP? I'm assuming I do. Thanks.

liquidman101

Please not this assertion again.

Ten years ago Class D was the future. Ten years later it's done and class AB and others are going to niche market.

Have a look in class D best products performances and you will easily understand why.
Sorry If that sounded like a silly comment re: the class D's. I am just getting back into hi-fi after years of not being in a position to indulge myself on something half decent. Thanks for your advice.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Thanks, I actually sent a message to Alan March and he said the same thing the 502 is prob a bit OTT for the Elacs that I'm thinking of getting. Thank you for your advice.

Can I ask another possibly silly question? Do I need a pre-amp and DAC to match with the NC252MP? I'm assuming I do. Thanks.

Chose the XLR version of the NC252MP and some XLR Dac on the market and you're done. SMSL or Topping or Sabaj or Gustard etc between 200 / 500€

I've just spend few minutes to listen "flat out" with my Class D amps and a Gustard X16, and it was a delight.

liquidman101

Chose the XLR version of the NC252MP and some XLR Dac on the market and you're done. SMSL or Topping or Sabaj or Gustard etc between 200 / 500€

I've just spend few minutes to listen "flat out" with my Class D amps and a Gustard X16, and it was a delight.
Sound like the Gustard is your preference from that list? Looks like I can get it in Australia.

When you say NC252MP - you are talking about from March Audio?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sound like the Gustard is your preference from that list? Looks like I can get it in Australia.

When you say NC252MP - you are talking about from March Audio?

I bought the Gustard a while ago but just listening to it right now, except few minutes to check it was working on arrival. So I am happy now to use it.

I am in Europe, here we have some sellers with NCore amps like boXem. I believe boXem decide to go only with XLR and I fully agree with this choice. I do not know March Audio except some comments in this forum.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Yeah, a DAC with volume control and XLR outputs and you're set. Topping D30 Pro, SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X16 for example. No need for a separate pre-amp unless you have analog sources or want a headphone amp.

Top Bottom