• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had this speaker in my office for the last month, and it is impressive. It pains me to say it, but the difference between this $600 speaker and my $4,000 Revel m126be is minor, and more subjective preference - I would likely fail a double blind test - which really kills me. On the other hand, the cosmetic details on these speakers are quite "cheap". Veneer already peeling back visibly where they meet at the edges, so it's obvious all the money went to the important stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from a subjective point of view when comparing to "the best of the best" in this segment.
I have these same two speakers and agree completely. In fact the ELACs drop to about 40 and the 126bes to 50 and my subjective impression is that there is more bass from the ELACs. Not a lot but noticeable. I have the 126bes paired with subs and of course that really improves things.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had this speaker in my office for the last month, and it is impressive. It pains me to say it, but the difference between this $600 speaker and my $4,000 Revel m126be is minor, and more subjective preference - I would likely fail a double blind test - which really kills me. On the other hand, the cosmetic details on these speakers are quite "cheap". Veneer already peeling back visibly where they meet at the edges, so it's obvious all the money went to the important stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from a subjective point of view when comparing to "the best of the best" in this segment.
What amp are you using with the ELACs? I'm using a Powernode 2i and really like the performance but wonder if there's enough power; the Powernode produces 60/8.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use 2 * TPA3255 EVM cards in mono, something like 300W I suppose.

For the fun (holidays are coming, just one more day) I would to try 2 mono TPA3116 (2*100W max). I am pretty sure it's working, and the last card I bought when I was in China was something like 10$ :) from taobao.

Last edited:

nathan

I'm trying to decide between these and the Focal Aria 906. I suspect as a stereo pair on stands in my untreated living room, paired with an SVS sub, that either would be very satisfying.

Two things may help me decide:

At some point I'll want to go for full surround sound, but I'll need to use some in wall speakers for the surround (and maybe center) channels. It doesn't look like Elac has any in wall speakers that are similar these..... (of course, Focal doesn't seem to have an in wall equivalent of the 906 either).....

At that point, for home theater use, we may be sitting further from the speakers (say, 15 feet or more) so the Focal probably win in terms of efficiency/output.

The third thing that might help me decide: The Focal has a wider, more consistent dispersion? That might be better in my reflective living room.

Appreciate any input from Elac owners....

weasels

I'm trying to decide between these and the Focal Aria 906. I suspect as a stereo pair on stands in my untreated living room, paired with an SVS sub, that either would be very satisfying.

Two things may help me decide:

At some point I'll want to go for full surround sound, but I'll need to use some in wall speakers for the surround (and maybe center) channels. It doesn't look like Elac has any in wall speakers that are similar these..... (of course, Focal doesn't seem to have an in wall equivalent of the 906 either).....

At that point, for home theater use, we may be sitting further from the speakers (say, 15 feet or more) so the Focal probably win in terms of efficiency/output.

The third thing that might help me decide: The Focal has a wider, more consistent dispersion? That might be better in my reflective living room.

Appreciate any input from Elac owners....

ELAC makes an on-wall speaker in the debut series, as well as Dolby Atmos modules.

Focal also makes Aria surround speakers (dipole, I think).

nathan

Or it could be worse.

Yeah, that's very true. I have actually noticed that highly directive speakers (like a pair of Klipsch I tried for a while, and a pair of Emotiva ribbon tweeter speakers) tend to have more precise imaging, perhaps because they don't interact with the room as much.

Last edited:

nathan

ELAC makes an on-wall speaker in the debut series, as well as Dolby Atmos modules.

Focal also makes Aria surround speakers (dipole, I think).

That's a win for the ELAC. I slightly prefer in wall but on wall works and these appear to be very similar to the rest of the series. I totally failed to notice them, since I had in my head "in wall" is required. But really, on wall could work. And knowing Elac / AJ, they make use of the proximity of the wall in their tuning and output.

(It's cool they make "Atmos Speakers" but I don't plan to make use of the bouncing ATMOS feature.....but the option is nice to have.)

Dipole speakers are.... not interesting to me. Been there, done that, with some excellent Triad speakers, but they just don't make sense with the way surround sound is mixed these days. (They were great back in the 4 channel Dolby Stereo world where the surround speakers got a mono signal!) So that's a strike against the Focal.

nathan

Thanks for pointing that out. Bipole is far more palatable.

Interesting that they go for 1k each, whereas the Elac go for 200 a pair. I guess in the Elac case, it is not a part of the reference series, so it's probably a notable step down in accuracy.....but maybe for surround duties that is less important. Not ideal from the perspective of a center channel, however. But I see Elac has a reference series center. Sure wish they had the option to simply buy a third/single DBR-62 for use as a center.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I picked up the Polk LSiM 702 F/X speakers for side surrounds when they were blown out for $400/pair. I don't want to spend that much but I also don't want dinky speakers, either. I can't do in-walls but I need something rather slim and they have height and width, but not depth, so they work well. They're a ported 3-way with a 6.5" woofer so pretty serious and sound really good. I would see if they are still available.

Otherwise ELAC has in-walls but from the Debut series. I wish they would update them with Debut 2.0 and Reference. Their on-wall options are better, with what looks like speakers from the Vela line. Would be nice to see a full Reference line though.

nathan

Yep. Maybe by the time I need the surrounds they will have an upgraded version.

pbc

Newb at reading the distortion graphs. Deciding between the JBL 308's I have now and these, which I would power with a basic AVR like a Denon 3600 or say an Anthem MRX 520. I would assume the JBL's can go louder with less distortion given the 8" woofer, tweeter and size of box. But the graphs are completely different and not sure how to compare the two?

nathan

Ironic, I have the JBL 306 and these would replace those for me. With the 306 I definitely get close to maxing them out in my room. I don't care about going lower, since I've got a sub. I think the JBL have built in limiting so that even when at max they don't break up. My goal however isn't more output but more nuance and the ability to use an AVR and eventually add more than just L and R to my system.

weasels

Newb at reading the distortion graphs. Deciding between the JBL 308's I have now and these, which I would power with a basic AVR like a Denon 3600 or say an Anthem MRX 520. I would assume the JBL's can go louder with less distortion given the 8" woofer, tweeter and size of box. But the graphs are completely different and not sure how to compare the two?

Consider how much distortion you can actually hear when listening as well. Minimal distortion is an admirable goal, but should only be one factor when making a purchasing decision.

There is a thread in here somewhere with links to listening tests from Harman (i think?) to see when you actually can reliably detect distortion, and in general the % is much higher than what you see in the graphs here.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are sounding very good
headbang.gif

NZ6_4284_BW.jpg

Top Bottom