• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Tarachii

Ok I probably sound like a crazy person by now but just thought I should share that I finally got my elac dbr62 sounding normal. Turns out I've been using the wrong high frequency roll off option in the denon multieq editor app's target sound options.

Previously using high frequency roll off option 1 (gradual roll off), treble was harsher while mids and bass seemed severely recessed, which made it sound quite uncomfortable.

Now that I have selected high frequency roll off option 2 (steeper roll off), the speakers finally sound totally balanced and normal. I no longer need to listen at near reference levels to hear everything. I'm finally happy with the dbr62 :) Pretty sure now X3600h has more than enough power for the speakers. Sorry for causing any confusion with earlier posts.

Glad you figured it out! I didn't pay for the app and don't know if the x2500h has it, but turning on DYNAMIC EQ has made a world of difference while watching Umbrella Academy on Netflix. It dealt with some sibilance I was getting from the center channel as well

Benedium

Forum Donor
Yup I just had so much to figure out about my own equipment and settings.

Now I've switched back to the normal more gradual high frequency roll off (multiEQ app) as well as went back to Reference curve after trying Flat curve for awhile. I even switched Eco mode to Auto instead of Off. Also recalibrated Audyssey with higher mic position to avoid couch surface with great results. For movies Dynamic EQ is on with zero offset. For music, I have left dynamic EQ Off.

Now when I turn up the volume, the sound quality just gets gradually better and no longer sounds harsh or weird at any volume I play.

Thanks everyone for your patience and tolerance of my unscientific and useless contributions.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
^ He still needs to clean his apartment. Gross.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing! I personally like watching Zeos' videos because I find him amusing, but I predict that you're going to get savaged here because he's kind of the antithesis to objectivism in audio :)

Oh, I'm not sharing it because I think anything Z says means anything, lol. I'm fully in favor of objectivism.

weasels

Thanks for sharing! I personally like watching Zeos' videos because I find him amusing, but I predict that you're going to get savaged here because he's kind of the antithesis to objectivism in audio :)

I think his videos are amusing as well, but his stated opinions often directly contradict actual measured performance, and his love of hyperbole makes comparative evaluation based on his content basically impossible.

ezra_s

Forum Donor

weasels

Well I just ordered a pair from Crutchfield. Figure I can return them if I don't like the way they sound. I live in Virginia, and my in-laws live pretty damned close to Crutchfield so I may not even need to pay for the postage.

As far as the looks go, I think they're gorgeous.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Well I just ordered a pair from Crutchfield. Figure I can return them if I don't like the way they sound. I live in Virginia, and my in-laws live pretty damned close to Crutchfield so I may not even need to pay for the postage.

Please let us know your impressions when you have played with them :)

Newman

Major Contributor

Which colour?

Newman

Major Contributor
Yeah, that's the one that I think looks great too. The other colour option looks just like a million other speakers and not nearly as nice.

Newman

Major Contributor
Sure, it's actually the safest look, just like a million others. It's not for no reason that all the manufacturers supply speakers with that dark wood and black baffle/grill look. It's popularity is proven.

But I think their marketing people must've seen that they really have something on their hands with a rather special look in the white model. That is why we always see this white model at the centre of the promotions. Most white speakers don't look this good, and if at all offered, only as an option, while the traditional look is the centre of the promotion.

Top Bottom