• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He wanted to know about a commercial amp that can provide a lot of current but not much power in 4 and 8 Ohm.
This is it.
The specs tell you the output power.
It states 5V in 8 to 32 Ohm so 3W in 8 Ohm, 6W in 4 Ohm.

An amplifier provides a voltage, the load determines the current.
When the amp can not provide enough current it also cannot provide the voltage.

Only very few specialized amps provide current.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He wanted to know about a commercial amp that can provide a lot of current but not much power in 4 and 8 Ohm.
This is it.
The specs tell you the output power.
It states 5V in 8 to 32 Ohm so 3W in 8 Ohm, 6W in 4 Ohm.

Thanks and okay then, I incorrectly assumed there would be solutions limited to the topic at hand (i.e. the topic speaker and its amp requirements). Anybody can print up specs, that's why I cited providing real world measurements, thankfully this site gives us that so we can have confidence of real world solutions. Well aware load determines current, that's the point here.

sejarzo

Forum Donor

Only very few specialized amps provide current.

That's what I was trying to get at. That amp has a gain of only 2 so it's not generally useful. Sorry to have taken things so far off topic.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Here we go with EQ attempt. I wouldn't expect as much improvement in the score as with Vanatoo as this speaker already measured well. :)

Corrected PIR:

Capture.JPG

Corrected LW, ER and SP:

Capture1.JPG

Filter attached.

Attachments

• Filter.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 297

Honken

Very interesting! Would it be possible for you to export your filters as text as well (using the `Export filter settings as text`-option)? I've been dabbling with using Amirs measurements for applying EQ as well, and it'd be interesting to try your EQ.

Thanks!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Very interesting! Would it be possible for you to export your filters as text as well (using the `Export filter settings as text`-option)? I've been dabbling with using Amirs measurements for applying EQ as well, and it'd be interesting to try your EQ.

Thanks!

Was your question addressed to me? Are you asking for PEQ parameters of the filter?

Honken

Was your question addressed to me? Are you asking for PEQ parameters of the filter?
Yes, and yes.

rePhase, I see. Explains why I didn't recognize the file format, never used that myself (though, it is on my to-do list). But importing those PEQ settings into my DSP seems to work fine.

I like the sound, I'll keep this PEQ applied I think. Many thanks!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes, and yes.

rePhase, I see. Explains why I didn't recognize the file format, never used that myself (though, it is on my to-do list). But importing those PEQ settings into my DSP seems to work fine.

My pleasure M8 - enjoy your music! :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Yes, and yes.

Hello Honken, Can I ask what is your DSP?

QMuse

Major Contributor
EQ SCORE: 6.2
EQ SCORE w/sub: 8.2

Again, for anyone seeing this, this is simulated, not an actual measurement of this speaker with this EQ.

So true. But that may be only begs to be confirmed..

Which raises the question if @amirm listening skills are used to the best cause. I don't doubt his listeining skills, but maybe the best way to put them to use is to provide EQ before he evaluates the speaker. If that would be the case I would be glad to construct the EQ filter to the best of my knowledge before he evaluates the speaker by listening.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So true. But that may be only begs to be confirmed..

Which raises the question if @amirm listening skills are used to the best cause. I don't doubt his listeining skills, but maybe the best way to put them to use is to provide EQ before he evaluates the speaker. If that would be the case I would be glad to construct the EQ filter to the best of my knowledge before he evaluates the speaker by listening.
90% of people buying any of these speakers don't use or know to add EQ filters. Amir reviewing them in their base form (with his adjustments for room modes) is most useful. A secondary listening test with EQ could be very useful, but that will add a decent amount of time to his workload.

Honken

Hello Honken, Can I ask what is your DSP?
I use a program aptly named dsp. It can do a lot more than PEQ, but since I haven't really wrapped my head around how to deal with phase properly I'm not doing much more than applying room correction with its PEQ.

dsp works fine for the technically inclined, but the process for applying settings is slow (includes a restart of PulseAudio and any application playing audio in my case, including REW when testing settings).

lonewolf

Are you basing the EQ off the spinorama or the Predicted In Room Response graph? I have the F35s and wouldn't mind using Amirs measurements to try a speaker correction EQ, but wasn't sure which one to use. That said, I have no clue how to make filters yet (I'm slowly learning!) so I'm probably a bit in over my head, but I'm curious to see what it does to the sound of my speakers.

QMuse

Major Contributor
A secondary listening test with EQ could be very useful, but that will add a decent amount of time to his workload.

Listening to 5 more songs with EQ takes app 20-25 minutes. I wouldn't call that ammount of time "decent". :D

flipflop

Are you basing the EQ off the spinorama or the Predicted In Room Response graph? I have the F35s and wouldn't mind using Amirs measurements to try a speaker correction EQ, but wasn't sure which one to use. That said, I have no clue how to make filters yet (I'm slowly learning!) so I'm probably a bit in over my head, but I'm curious to see what it does to the sound of my speakers.
You can try these settings. They're based on the LW.
Filter 1: Peak filter, 728 Hz, Gain -2.2 dB, Q 5
Filter 2: Peak filter, 2685 Hz, Gain 0.9 dB, Q 3.471
Filter 3: Peak filter, 555 Hz, Gain 1.3 dB, Q 5
Filter 4: Peak filter, 1265 Hz, Gain -1.2 dB, Q 5
Filter 5: Peak filter, 353 Hz, Gain -1.1 dB, Q 5
Filter 6: Peak filter, 1659 Hz, Gain 0.8 dB, Q 5

Graph showing before (dark red) and after (regular red) EQ:
F35.jpg

EDIT: You might also want to lower the preamp by a couple of dB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom