• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, these are excellent for 600 a pair.

I wonder how these would do near field.
Would these work in an nearfield (1.1-1.2 meters) situation?
Hi @amirm

This would also make excellent near-field pro audio monitors?
How well would they work in a near-field application?
I second this.
They are quite deep and large for such a use. While I did not test them as such, I stood in front of them while playing and it seemed to integrate well.
It's true that many woofers have bumps at or a little under 1 kHz. (This is distinct from the baffle step, which affects all woofers in a cabinet and can usually be easily compensated for by the crossover). The culprit is resonant modes at the point where the cone meets the surround. Modest bumps (or dips) aren't worth fixing, but larger ones are, and it usually requires a 3-component trap circuit. Premium priced drivers can be just as prone to this problem as cheapies. I recently got a distress call from Jim Salk who had just measured one of his flagship SS9.5 towers and found a very prominent peak at 900 Hz coming from the uber-expensive AT (Skanning) midwoofers. AT apparently had changed the surround or sourced materials from a different supplier, and the dreaded midrange bump had reared its head. I had to completely redo the crossover to get things back to normal.

Below animation is not a answer if its good nearfield or not but should give a feel what happens at 2 meter standard of CEA2034 spins verse closer distances, also note for interested users in this size category that some frequencyes will wrap all around enclosure and in this regard this one is square on all surfaces where M16 have some care invested get the enclosure sides in a kind of more round shape.

4.gif

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Belowanimation is not a answer if its good nearfield or not but should give a feel what happens at 2 meter standard of CEA2034 spins verse closer distances

Thanks!

All 3 animation curves look good?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I should add, for nearfield, maybe good/careful integration with a subwoofer is needed?

Apart from that, looks good?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh, I have looked at that a few times. I wrote to them twice but they just ignored me so on that basis, I have not bought it. :)
He was very responsive when I emailed him 2 months ago about this product! Hopefully he’s ok.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He was very responsive when I emailed him 2 months ago about this product! Hopefully he’s ok.
It is very possible he doesn't like what we/I do here.....

Piotr

Is US $600 a budget price? I've paid $300 for pair of monitor audio bx2 and I thought it's already expensive :p

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is US $600 a budget price? I've paid $300 for pair of monitor audio bx2 and I thought it's already expensive :p
Budget is relative. Compared to the stuff you see at audio shows, yes. I personally would classify <$500 as budget and $500-$1000 as entry-level.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Howdy! You designed some really nice gear including the Philharmonic BMR and affordable accuracy sets. Awesome!
I regret not buying the BMR while they were still “affordable”. KUDOS on an amazing speaker design Mr.Murphy!

Reactions: wje

wje

Forum Donor
I regret not buying the BMR while they were still “affordable”. KUDOS on an amazing speaker design Mr.Murphy!

Not only that, we can't forget the SP-BS22-LR modifications that Dennis came up with. Replacing the tweeter and some of the crossover components on the Pioneer speakers, apparently, made for a great little upgrade to the tune of around $80, plus the time to perform the modifications.

With that being said, my Debut Reference speakers are on the FedEx truck and will be delivered today. Should be an exciting day - a good excuse to stay out of the rain.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we have a world-class, speaker selling for $600 A PAIR !!!!.. yet some people are not pleased. I suppose most people would like to receive a better remuneration for their work... forgetting that this increase has cost and consequences...

This out. I am thinking out here:

Mated to a serious subwoofer system, say 3 subs plus a miniDSP 2x4 (for a total <$1000) or other DSP/EQ and a Umik ($100) there is a potential to build a World-class sounding system for $2000 total including source and cables...

Wow!!!

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Not only that, we can't forget the SP-BS22-LR modifications that Dennis came up with. Replacing the tweeter and some of the crossover components on the Pioneer speakers, apparently, made for a great little upgrade to the tune of around $80, plus the time to perform the modifications.

With that being said, my Debut Reference speakers are on the FedEx truck and will be delivered today. Should be an exciting day - a good excuse to stay out of the rain.
Can't wait reading your first impression!

Reactions: wje

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Here we have a world-class, speaker selling for $600 A PAIR !!!!.. yet some people are not pleased. I suppose most people would like to receive a better remuneration for their work... forgetting that this increase has cost and consequences...

This out. I am thinking out here:

Mated to a serious subwoofer system, say 3 subs plus a miniDSP 2x4 (for a total <$1000) or other DSP/EQ and a Umik ($100) there is a potential to build a World-class sounding system for $2000 total including source and cables...

Wow!!!
Depends on what world one lives in. People may be getting a bit carried away with these speakers.

wje

Forum Donor
Crutchfield just out up an open box walnut and black for $570 in their outlet

Yes, I just noticed that this morning too when I was checking some other items out. Crutchfield is just a 90 minute drive from my house, but their retail locations are closed due to the virus. However, I've made many purchases from Crutchfield and have been happy with them. A little "tip" about Crutchfield and how - in my experience, their system works. "Open Box" is usually a loss-leader that they offer out on their site to see if someone will respond by noticing it and making the purchase. Sort of a "test" I guess. Every "Open Box" item I've ordered from Crutchfield has been a new and fully sealed item. Then, they also have the "Scratch and Dent" items that can be listed for an offering too. Those items are sold even at deeper discount. Those items are an item that usually a customer returned. The products are checked and repacked. Yet, on all of my "Scratch and Dent" purchases, the items arrived in perfect condition - but at a greater savings.

Top Bottom