• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As for the terminals, I like to know that they are good quality and can take bananas, for example.
I used them that way for listening test so yes, it works.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Thanks. As for the terminals, I like to know that they are good quality and can take bananas, for example.

I wonder how much this would cost if made in Europe or the USA. It's not that much bigger than, say, an LS3/5a or various descendents/spinoffs but costs much less and would likely blow them away (or would it? ;) )

Friend images of this speaker are easily found all over the web already. You can even go to the ELAC website. Just saying, not trying to be mean here.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that hard to find a photo of the back. I got the itch and bought the Revel M16 for the living room. I wish I had waited for this review - WAF on these speakers is a lot higher. :facepalm:

elac---debut-reference-dbr62-schwarz--2__large_full.jpg

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
But is it really that good? Distortion is quite high and frequency response overall isn't that even and smooth either. Also as a passive speaker the impedance at around 110hz can really be an issue. Hmmmm.

Distortion looks fine to me, what are you looking for? This is all basically all inaudible and not of a particularly high nature. Fits right in with much more expensive gear. Also, unless something has changed the input during the distortion tests here is a bit higher than "normal"

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very nice looking bookshelf/stand mount speaker imo. Well done A.J. and design team, very tempted to purchase a set even though I don't need anymore speakers. Maybe if they go on sale and I'll head to head them with my R3's (when they return from repair :rolleyes:)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Distortion looks fine to me, what are you looking for? This is all basically all inaudible and not of a particularly high nature. Fits right in with much more expensive gear. Also, unless something has changed the input during the distortion tests here is a bit higher than "normal"
It hits 2% and mid frequency. I don't see issue if lows have higher distortion but in all range higher than 200hz should be lower than 1% and needs to be around 0.2% for high praise technically. I'm not saying it's very bad but not good enough just reading the measurements, also regardless of price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering, but when did "bookshelf" speakers ever get used in actual bookshelves?

I suspect that only happens with really cheap systems where the 2 speakers are stuffed wherever there's room, with no account whatsoever for SQ or stereo image.
There was a time when a bookshelf speaker was designed for direct placement against a wall or inside a bookshelf. Those day seem to be gone. I don't see any of those anymore.

xarkkon

The S400 finally arrived so I can do that.
Given Mads is pretty open with his measurements and talking about their approach towards speaker building, I'm really looking forward to this one!

Great review as well Amir. After a bout of ho hum results, glad to see manufacturers like Revel and Elac knocking it out of the park without crazy money

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could someone explains how to read the phase graph?
I understand impedance but no idea how phase affects sound quality.
Thanks
To simplify Amir’s explanation. A worse phase means the amp generates more power/heat in order to supply the same amount of wattage. A 4ohm speaker with 0° phase in the bass will be easier to power than a 5ohm speaker with 45° phase in the bass.
Sensitivity, Impedance, and Phase all play a role in determining how easy it is to power a speaker to enjoyable levels.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-impedance-electrical-phase/page-2

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given Mads is pretty open with his measurements and talking about their approach towards speaker building, I'm really looking forward to this one!

Great review as well Amir. After a bout of ho hum results, glad to see manufacturers like Revel and Elac knocking it out of the park without crazy money

Moreover, Buchardt uses the klippel too last time I checked! So it'll be interesting to see how it matches up. My quasi anechoic ones ended up being very similar to Buchardt's other than the fact I had a bit less energy in the top two octaves - which was likely just down to measurement procedure. It was enough to see it was nice Buchardt wasn't hiding anything.

Buchardt's:

fig1.png

Mine:
S400 Horizontal Response (1).png

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Revels in the bookshelves for TV sound. It is hugely better than what the TV internally has or a think sound bar.

One key thing by the way is to stuff books or whatever around them. Otherwise the cavity screws up their response.

Gonna need measurements of that Amir...this is ASR after all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gonna need measurements of that Amir...this is ASR after all.
They are discontinued so not sure how much value there is in in measuring them. They are Revel M20:

u0dtcmziupbacxx9dkn8.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When we say beefy amp, what kind of specs are we talking about to properly drive the low frequencies (in your opinions)?
A amplifier capable of driving a speaker at 4 Ohms speaker impedance. Lower is better. Some amps are capable of 2 Ohms. They are usually labelled as, "High current." A quick check of the rear panel of the amp will show if they specify it for driving 4 Ohms speakers.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Just very glad that I didn't jump head -in with speakers and this little gem for a very palatable price tag gets dug up here on ASR.

Its rated up to 120W and 6 Ohms, I would think a good clean amp capable of 100W per channel into 8 Ohms would do good with them. Maybe a Icepower or Hypex module based one would be quite suffice.

For not a lot of money, match this with say the Rythmik L12 and one can get a small/ medium dimensioned room really rocking.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It hits 2% and mid frequency. I don't see issue if lows have higher distortion but in all range higher than 200hz should be lower than 1% and needs to be around 0.2% for high praise technically. I'm not saying it's very bad but not good enough just reading the measurements, also regardless of price.
There are not many speakers that meet those requirements. I also believe these are taken at more than 90db. (10 volts which is loud) Not completely sure about that though.
In any case these equal the M16 and beat the Adante and easily beat the pioneer 3way.

Top Bottom