• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Putter

Forum Donor
Coaxial drivers have their own merits.
In fact, two way systems even with proper room treatment still have a big issue: they force you to be with tweeter at ear level to enjoy that pretty nice frequency response we see in measurements..pros and cons

I do notice that the drivers appear to placed as close together as possible to the degree of having to cut out part of the woofer' trim piece.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I do notice that the drivers appear to placed as close together as possible to the degree of having to cut out part of the woofer' trim piece.
That doesn't really replicate a coaxial as you can see from the vertical off axis response.

Daverz

Major Contributor
A comparison with the Buchardt S400 would be really interesting. Wide versus narrow dispersion.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A comparison with the Buchardt S400 would be really interesting. Wide versus narrow dispersion.
The S400 finally arrived so I can do that.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have added the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 to Loudspeaker Explorer where it can be compared to other speakers.

Good consistency within the listening window, though I would make extra sure the speaker is at ear height:

visualization(37).png

Mauro

That doesn't really replicate a coaxial as you can see from the vertical off axis response.
And also temporally..in fact, as a consequence, they won’t be aligned in time..a square wave, just to say, will be ok at ear level but will be smeared just slightly off axis..I asked once Sean Olive, but he says there are not evidences of people being able to detect group delays...

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor

No I don't think it can replicate a coaxial, but it does make it more of a point source. I have pair of Infinity Kappa center speakers with a similar design and the Infinity Primus series also use that overlap.

bogart

Forum Donor
Loved seeing this reviewed. Of all the rooms I visited at the Toronto audio show, the one with these playing was the one that stuck with me. I asked the rep in the room what the price was, and thought they were an excellent value for $600 each. He clarified it was for the pair and my jaw dropped. Outstanding value for what sounded like an incredible speaker in person.

I’m very glad to see it wasn’t audio show magic or a well tuned room but a very good speaker doing its thing. May be in the market for these guys!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And as Andrew Jones has said before, he sometimes optimizes for slightly off axis. This is evident from the graphs: the speaker is significantly better at 20 degrees off axis, which I often find is the case with KEF speakers as well.

elac.png

Weird that so many speakers seem to have a bump from 600-1000Hz ish

Mauro

And as Andrew Jones has said before, he sometimes optimizes for slightly off axis. This is evident from the graphs: the speaker is significantly better at 20 degrees off axis, which I often find is the case with KEF speakers as well.

View attachment 55746

Weird that so many speakers seem to have a bump from 600-1000Hz ish
It seems to be the normal behavior of paper coated/aramid woofers of about 6 inches of diameter. Just look for example on the Seas website..the driver supplier

kaka89

Could someone explains how to read the phase graph?
I understand impedance but no idea how phase affects sound quality.
Thanks

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.....Speaker Listening Tests.....Ah, what joy!...
Thanks another great acoustic review :cool: because that anechoic response of DBR-62 seems to perform so exelent to your ears in your room suggest because their anechoic performance is some related try on F35 into same position with one PEQ +3dB/Q0,5/@100Hz as seen below :)...
1.gif

Top Bottom