• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Honestly...I wouldn't listen to any speakers no matter the price without taking some measurments and doing at least some basic room corrections.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Honestly...I wouldn't listen to any speakers no matter the price without taking some measurments and doing at least some basic room corrections.
And then you find something insane like -10dB bass node right where you're sitting, and you can't move the furniture around enough to avoid it. That was £6k wasted on some nice floorstanders.....

Boxermotor

Bro, you need to measure the heck out of them as long as they are still there.

If you don't, you will never know if they where defective or you where just accustomed to your previous Klipsch so much, you couldn't handle precise speakers anymore.
I don't have any measuring tools at the moment. Also, I dug the Klipsch speakers out of a storage closet and haven't listened to them in a couple years. I've been using ELAC DB62's and JBL 308P MkII studio monitors. I really thought they'd beat the JBL's, so that's part of my disappointment. I might need to stick with studio monitors...

frki16

I did initiate a return. Now the question is, do I try another pair or get something else...? I feel a bit gun shy with ELAC now, although I really liked the DB62's. Definitely not as good as the JBL 308P studio monitors.
JBLs are great, DBR lacks 1,2 and 3... suck at 3,4,5 and you still want elacs :). get rid of elacs if you can.
IMO you too close to speakers

Phidel

JBLs are great, DBR lacks 1,2 and 3... suck at 3,4,5 and you still want elacs :). get rid of elacs if you can.
IMO you too close to speakers

In my case, I'm at 2m of the Elacs and I hate their sound, no air, too closed, non brilliant, etc.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine are at 3.2m and about the same apart in a room measuring 6m x 4m so they absolutely shine

bboris77

I use mine in a desktop monitor setting at a distance of 1 meter and they are fantastic. I took off the grilles immediately. I did have to raise them to ensure that the tweeter was at ear level and toe them in about 15 degrees to get the optimal sound quality/soundstage.

Prior to them I had the Klipsch R-15M which were good but a little too upper-mid happy. They were obviously more sensitive and great at reproducing horn instruments, but lacked low end compared to the Elacs which are much more neutral.

EDIT: The room is 3.5m x 3.6m, and the speakers are in the left corner, about 10-15cm from the front wall, and about 60cm from the side wall which also has a window covered by wooden horizontal blinds. I also use a SVS PB-1000 subwoofer to fill in those 18-50Hz frequencies.

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
After trying both dbr62 and ub52, I have to say maybe all Elacs sound flatter and better with no toe in. Just point them straight down the sides and they sound much more normal and better. Same even with audyssey room correction.

Last edited:

Phidel

Could someone recommend another speakers for a near field (2 meters) with better sound than dbr62?

frki16

After trying both dbr62 and ub52, I have to say maybe all Elacs sound flatter and better with no toe in. Just point them straight down the sides and they sound much more normal and better. Same even with audyssey room correction.
same experience here. yesterday finished new stands for speakers and placed them at equilateral triangle (about 2m) toed in. nothing spectacular happened, albeit it teared down sweet spot to few centimeters. when they were 2,5m apart and sitting position at 3,5m, not toed in, I could move 1 meter with same soundstage.

Phidel

Hello!

My provider replaced my Denon 3700H for a 3800H (paying the difference) and... OMG! This is the sound that I want, the 3700H had some internal problem that did a poor sound with my dbr62, with this new unit the Elacs are full of bright, space, detail and image.

frki16

Hello!

My provider replaced my Denon 3700H for a 3800H (paying the difference) and... OMG! This is the sound that I want, the 3700H had some internal problem that did a poor sound with my dbr62, with this new unit the Elacs are full of bright, space, detail and image.
how did you figured it out?

Top Bottom