• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if you go back and read the post "low to moderate volume" pretty much covers to the negative that the poster will be pushing the amp into clipping , i think this amp will be plenty, but as you say there may be a better choice
It will depend on the demands of the music, not the volume. Having too little power often causes people to turn up the volume to hear lower frequencies. For example my SVS-sb2000 has a 12" subwoofer with a 500w rms amp. The large woofer and high power amp give you a detectable level of bass response for 60hz test tone that you can hear at low volume, which would be inaudible with a small speaker and smaller power amp at low volume. On the other end of the spectrum you only need a few watts to get a tweeter to reproduce a 3khz tone at audible listening levels.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will depend on the demands of the music, not the volume. Having too little power often causes people to turn up the volume to hear lower frequencies. For example my SVS-sb2000 has a 12" subwoofer with a 500w rms amp. The large woofer and high power amp give you a detectable level of bass response for 60hz test tone that you can hear at low volume, which would be inaudible with a small speaker and smaller power amp at low volume. On the other end of the spectrum you only need a few watts to get a tweeter to reproduce a 3khz tone at audible listening levels.
Honestly, i was assuming that eventually the poster would have a sub...even a cheap-ish jbl 550p would be a nice pairing...and it's something that doesn't need to be done right away..then again i can't read the poster's mind , maybe an eventual sub isn't an option..

LittleBear

Greetings Audio Experts!

I just bought a pair (open box) for $433. off AA. They had an oak for $386(?) open box, too. Not a mark on them!
Two nights in, I think they are excellent speakers. I used "Crosby, Stills & Nash" for the vocals, and "The Silent Way" by M. Davis.
The midrange is great. The bass surprised me with its presence. The treble also very good, with no objections so far.
I am comparing them to my big 'monkey coffin' custom speakers, which are smoother & more convincing, on PrimaLuna pre & amp.
I read this whole thread, and only saw maybe four suggestions on how the Elacs might be improved: felt ring on tweeter, less reflections off of back wall, better stuffing, and a small quality bypass cap on the tweeter. Any ideas on these tweeks, especially the back wall?

Last edited:

LittleBear

This is the Elac 6.5" driver on the left, next to a very nice CCS 7". The Elac basket is very elaborate, & looks like it breaths very well, & the magnet is huge! I'm not going to try to stiffen or dampen the basket.
Elac.JPG

I'll be messing with the box, though!

Last edited:

Stereotuber

The review appears extremely positive. Would it be recommended to attempt to drive these with the Class D 50W into 4 Ohms, 27W into 8 Ohms Denon PMA-50? I appreciate that the main review recommends a 'beefy' amp, but a search within the thread for Class D yielded no concrete recommendation.
Try a tube preamp or tube amp. Reference or monitor speakers come to life with tubes. Spread the word please!

Last edited:

Stereotuber

Greetings Audio Experts!

I just bought a pair (open box) for $433. off AA. They had an oak for $386(?) open box, too. Not a mark on them!
Two nights in, I think they are excellent speakers. I used "Crosby, Stills & Nash" for the vocals, and "The Silent Way" by M. Davis.
The midrange is great. The bass surprised me with its presence. The treble also very good, with no objections so far.
I am comparing them to my big 'monkey coffin' custom speakers, which are smoother & more convincing, on PrimaLuna pre & amp.
I read this whole thread, and only saw maybe four suggestions on how the Elacs might be improved: felt ring on tweeter, less reflections off of back wall, better stuffing, and a small quality bypass cap on the tweeter. Any ideas on these tweeks, especially the back wall?
TUBE PREAMP = Magic. Try one.

LittleBear

TUBE PREAMP = Magic. Try one.
Done!
I have a tube pre and power amp. This is what I used for my first listen to the DBR62.
But they are soon going up to the cabin in the sticks, and a Pioneer Elite Dual Mono receiver (SX-A9MK2-K) will power them., which is sort of low power (70w & 55w, 4 & 8 ohm), but I think good.

Last edited:

Stereotuber

Awesome. Most people that say DBR62 is boring never heard such speakers run with a tube system. It is scary real. Not missing my old B&W's, though they were very good also. CM5's.

Audiofool1Q84

Awesome. Most people that say DBR62 is boring never heard such speakers run with a tube system. It is scary real. Not missing my old B&W's, though they were very good also. CM5's.
If you've had a chance to listen in the exact same setting with all else being equal, what aspect of the sound was altered using tubes vs a solid state amp/preamp?

LittleBear

I wanted to brace the back wall, which is unbraced & not too thick, but also braced the baffle between the tweet & woof (both to the center brace), where there is a very thin, weak looking span.
_DSC11.JPG

Last edited:

akrios

If these speakers are preferred to the Elac UB52's, what center channel should I pair with these? Would the UC52 still be a good fit?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Theodore8

Forum Donor
For our European fellows, there's a big deal at HiddenAudio.de for the pair Black/Walnut. About 349€/pair (+shipping)
View attachment 251307
Thank you! Truly appreciate that you made the effort to make ASR members aware of this deal.

Just ordered a pair. Price less than a second hand set I had recently been offered.

Benedium

Forum Donor
If these speakers are preferred to the Elac UB52's, what center channel should I pair with these? Would the UC52 still be a good fit?
Many have answered before... UC52 is probably the best value center and tonally close enough to dbr62, but lower in sensitivity, which may be apparent after room correction. Also uc52 grill standoffs may break and you will have to be ok with the look of the silver coloured parts. At the low price I think it's worth trying. Otherwise can try buying another pair of dbr62 to use half as center but that costs more than uc52. If center is your priority maybe just get entirely unifi series instead. Doubt the subtle differences will bother anyone in their room. Some may even subjectively prefer unifi series.

Last edited:

Phidel

I have a question about these speakers.

Right now I'm using a pair of Klipsch The Fives + an Elac Debut S10.2 sub for my TV and I'm sitting about 2 meters in front of it, I mainly use the speakers for music and gaming.

I'm thinking of buying a Marantz Nr1200 + a pair of Elac DBR6.2 (also with the Elac S10.2)

What do you think about this change? I want good sound quality for music and good picture for games. Are these speakers good being 2 meters in front of them?

Triliza

Forum Donor
I have a question about these speakers.

Right now I'm using a pair of Klipsch The Fives + an Elac Debut S10.2 sub for my TV and I'm sitting about 2 meters in front of it, I mainly use the speakers for music and gaming.

I'm thinking of buying a Marantz Nr1200 + a pair of Elac DBR6.2 (also with the Elac S10.2)

What do you think about this change? I want good sound quality for music and good picture for games. Are these speakers good being 2 meters in front of them?
Elac dbr62 will be just fine at 2 meters. Marantz Nr1200 has not been reviewed here as far as I can tell. Something to look into is if it offers a proper way to integrate the sub. Another thing is that it doesn't include Audyssey, so I don't know if an AVR would be a better choice.

Out of curiosity, what do you find lacking about the Klipsch? Erin did review it some time ago and it doesn't seem to be a bad speaker. Maybe some form of room correction (AVR or MiniDSP) and proper placement would be something to think about.

Phidel

Elac dbr62 will be just fine at 2 meters. Marantz Nr1200 has not been reviewed here as far as I can tell. Something to look into is if it offers a proper way to integrate the sub. Another thing is that it doesn't include Audyssey, so I don't know if an AVR would be a better choice.

Out of curiosity, what do you find lacking about the Klipsch? Erin did review it some time ago and it doesn't seem to be a bad speaker. Maybe some form of room correction (AVR or MiniDSP) and proper placement would be something to think about.

It has a sub out and I don't want to use Audyssey. I only want it to power the Elacs.

I'm happy with The Fives but it has a hiss sound problem that can't be fixed, only replacing the amp plate. In the other hand, the app only has a 3 bars EQ and doesn't save the settings, you must open the app every time you use the speakers.

Phidel

It doesn't filter the output to the speakers thus the Elac (speakers) would play also the bass signal. Maybe this is not important, but better to have the facts beforehand.

Do you know any stereo amp with HDMI arc and sub out?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you know any stereo amp with HDMI arc and sub out?
NAD, Lyngdorf, Sonos amp to name a few off the top of my head. There are not as many options as you would think. Search this site, I know this topic has been extensively discussed here

Top Bottom