• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sometimes I find a strong discrepancy on forums between realizing "perfect situations" and actual real world advice, limitations, and application. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum. I've been a lurker for awhile but wanted to ask maybe what I can do for my specific situation. I know it's not perfect :) I think what you're saying is lowering the crossover to 40-50hz allows for less "interference" coming from the sub without proper EQ'ing. What I will say is that I 100% prefer the sub being "ON" at any crossover over it being off, but I am hardly an audiophile. I just like to do the best with what I have.

Thanks. And that's an EQ issue over a wall treatment one? I'm still curious where you might place the sub instead?
If you have a smart phone get a free spectrogram tool like spectroid. Then you have a half decent measurements device.
Play back some white noise.
Play around with placement and parameters like crossover frequency until you get as close to the harman target curve at the listening position.

At first you will typically like the extra bass no matter how uneven the frequency response is. After some time if it isn't a good frequency response you will like the presentation less and less and start to play around...

kolestonin

ps: only tried them in a stereo setup(toed in). Just listened them straight for 5 minutes and I hands down prefer them toed in.
I will off course try different angles and give some more time to direct positioning.
Now that I spent more hours with them I can say that speakers definitely sound better in a straight/direct placement.

I also have some kind of measurements but I don't know if there are of any value.
Just used Spectroid app on my smart phone measuring from the listening position.
Same track with sub crossover at 80, 100, 90 and 60Hz.
Speakers high pass filter is matching the low pass value in each scenario.

Are there any even rough conclusions from below screenshots?
Can they give me any orientation on what I need to do EQ wise?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 176

test1223

Now that I spent more hours with them I can say that speakers definitely sound better in a straight/direct placement.

I also have some kind of measurements but I don't know if there are of any value.
Just used Spectroid app on my smart phone measuring from the listening position.
Same track with sub crossover at 80, 100, 90 and 60Hz.
Speakers high pass filter is matching the low pass value in each scenario.

Are there any even rough conclusions from below screenshots?
Can they give me any orientation on what I need to do EQ wise?
Is it proper white noise? You can download audacity and generate it.
If it is proper white noise the measurements didn't look good.
It seems there is no bass below about 50Hz. With this subwoofer you should reach about 35Hz flat.

Try not to tap on the microphone while recording and slowly move your phone around the area where you are listening. For about 30 seconds or so and have a look at the maximum which was recorded as your measurement.

Can you check the difference between subwoofer on and of? You should see a major difference from 30- 50Hz at least between the two measurements. Some phones have a fixed high pass built in in the microphone recording path. If this is the case this smart phone can't be used for this.

Maybe create you own thread so that more people can help you with this not so speaker specific problem.

kolestonin

No, these were with a song.

I now tried as you suggested.

Playing the white noise from a youtube video and not using audacity for the moment though.

I will definitely consider opening a thread if these measurements are still indicating there is an issue.

Attachments

• SUB OFF.jpg
    SUB OFF.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 80
  • SUB ON.jpg
    SUB ON.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 89

test1223

Your measurements seems to have a problem. The bass level is way to low.

Eetu

Forum Donor
No, these were with a song.

I now tried as you suggested.

Playing the white noise from a youtube video and not using audacity for the moment though.

I will definitely consider opening a thread if these measurements are still indicating there is an issue.
You have the Flex but not a UMIK-1? Seems like a bit of a waste since you can't optimize the crossovers & EQ without proper measurements. I don't think the phone measurements look accurate.

And whether something indicates 'if' there's an issue.. EVERY room has issues and benefits from digital room correction. My recommendation is bite the bullet and get the UMIK + Dirac. Or alternatively, if you're willing to learn REW it's great as well.

pevsfreedom

If I were to delve into Eq'ing, I'd need a digital EQ on the laptop I presume, which then.. goes to the DAC? Or is that something that is part of the DAC. IDK how going from Quboz to the DAC would work (mine is just a Focusrite Solo, which is just.. only a DAC for my purposes). Then I'd need a physical EQ for the turntable? Then a DSP from the sub to the receiver? Just curious. Getting a DSP and only getting the sub "set-up" correctly seems about like something I could do.

My set-up is macbook > focusrite > yamaha s501, and turntable > phono > s501. So in my mind I'd need to purchase like 4 things to get an EQ/DSP set-up going.

kolestonin

That is why. Use pink noise.

Also, you need to use a slower reading and averaging.
Tried with pink noise

For slower reading I set transform interval to 50ms(20hz). Not sure if this was correct though and did not find or mess with averaging.

Attachments

• SUB OFF PINK.jpg
    SUB OFF PINK.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 70
  • SUB ON PINK.jpg
    SUB ON PINK.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 70

holbob

It actually looks like a crossover or a very steep high pass filter has been applied.

Eldus

Why 40-50? Everything I've seen on the Elac's says about 60. Just curious. Others told me to go 100-120 if it's between the speakers, which seemed weird to me. This is for 2.1 music only. I have phase at normal, I did test with SPL. It was about the same at both normal and reverse.

What kind of "mini dsp" might you recommend on a budget? I'm new to hi-fi in this regard... I will say when I adjust the crossover on the sub itself, it doesn't seem to change much of anything. Even if I turn it to the 200 max or whatever it is, it seems everything it still playing pretty much about the same to my ears. I assume this involves buying the mini DSP and getting into room EQ'ing and into the digital EQ thing, which I've been mostly going against doing (actual diagnosed OCD person thing; that many options is a nightmare to me).

And room modes is basically handled by wall treatment? That's definitely a down the line idea. I just moved from OR to SC in May and the budget is about spent, esp. since all this equipment is new.
This video is pretty good. More geared towards music tech students. But still the same principles apply.

test1223

Tried with pink noise
You have an overlaid curve of the pink noise in your measurements. Therefore I wouldn't do that in this context and use white noise.

This video seems to have proper white noise down to the bass.

Go to the settings menu of the spectroid app and change desired transformation interval to 50ms and the fft size to 2048.

If the sub bass isn't showing some substantial amplitude from around 40Hz with the subwoofer on there might be a problem with the device where spectroid is installed.
Edit: I missed that you did that already, therefore the device has some build in high pass and can't be used for this. Maybe try another device if you have one.

Last edited:

formatfizikal

Has anyone got a chance to compare Elac DBR6.2 to ATC SCM7 v3? Currently, I am using Elac Debut 6.2 and would like to "upgrade".
Elac DBR would be a no-brainer but I also can get the ATC cheaper than the retail value but it is still about 500$ more expensive than the Elac.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Have anyone got a chance to compare Elac DBR6.2 to ATC SCM7 v3? Currently, I am using Elac Debut 6.2 and would like to "upgrade".
Elac DBR would be a no-brainer but I also can get the ATC cheaper than the retail value but it is still about 500$ more expensive than the Elac.
just a thought.. upgrading to the next level is a great way to spend more money in the long run .. the theory around here and other sites is:diminishing returns hits hard above $2000 or so ... i'm not saying "run out and spend $2000" , but elac has the 3 way uni fi reference at $960 right now , i think that's a much worthier upgrade ... just my thoughts, ymmv.....

thebigbeat90

Sorry if this has already been answered. Will I be ok powering these speakers with a 50wpc Rega Brio at low to moderate volumes in a small living room?

tw 2022

Sorry if this has already been answered. Will I be ok powering these speakers with a 50wpc Rega Brio at low to moderate volumes in a small living room?
should be fine .. despite some opinion to the contrary these speakers really aren't hard to drive...but like most speakers bigger is better in most cases in regards to power...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you already have it I would just use it. If you don't have it I wouldn't buy it for these speakers. Your bass response will suffer. You need power to make low frequencies at regular listening levels without clipping.

tw 2022

If you already have it I would just use it. If you don't have it I wouldn't buy it for these speakers. Your bass response will suffer. You need power to make low frequencies at regular listening levels without clipping.
if you go back and read the post "low to moderate volume" pretty much covers to the negative that the poster will be pushing the amp into clipping , i think this amp will be plenty, but as you say there may be a better choice

Top Bottom