• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Offler

So after one year of usage of DBR-62, i will add some subjective and non technical. opinion.

I havent grown tired of their sound. To me they are as neutral as possible, not adding anything unnecessary to the sound. I am not an audiophile, speakers are for mixed use of music, movies and gaming, but I can tell there is an interesting way how those speakers separate different instruments. Even harsh tracks which are intended to be a "wall of sound" are more readable than before.

I have connected them to NAD d3020v2, while I was expecting some trouble with low power of this integrated amplifier. Its DAC proven to be good enough for me.

I have been told on multiple occasions that I might add a subwoofer to them, or a better DAC/AMP combo as they like more power. Both might be true, but I was replacing small speakers with 5 Watt power consumption, the new set eats just 15Watts on average. So even when they are way too big for a computer speakers, they dont eat too much power with this combo.

Playing movies such as new Dune definitely proven these speakers to be great. Even when the floor in my room does not shake, it still carries the impression from the movie theather.

Gaming is a topic on itself. Many game developers decided to invest into great musical score, and DBR62 does a great job in delivering it.

What about noise from PC and other devices? Well, my PC uses a lot of fans, but they are less than 20dB. Optical drive, is unfortunately much more noisier.

Castel

Great review and knowledge gathered. Appreciated. I noticed in the review that they would require quite a bit of power from the amplifier. However @Offler's review shows that they are doing just fine with NAD d3020v2.

I am considering to replace speakers for my Pianocraft 670. Do you think that it will be capable or would you conider those speakers to be too power hungry? At this moment I am rather not planning to change the amp ;).

Best Regards.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine typically take 30 watts average for loud listening
That is my estimate, also. But it depends on what we mean by 'loud listening.' I have a big, tall room* to serve with symphonic, jazz, and solo instrumental music. I do have an SPL meter. For me, loud tends to mean about 105 dB at 1 meter. At my chair, at 4 meters, that's about 12 dB less, or about 92 dB. Peaks could go a little higher, particularly on fortissimo orchestra and percussion passages. I have 150 watts per channel available, and it is adequate but not at all excessive. Given the DBR's sensitivity, numbers predict a need for about 100 watts to make 106 dB @ 1 meter.

My ears tell me that the DBR62s are suffering compression at levels above about ~100 dB SPL at 1 meter. Regrettably, Amir didn't test for compression, that I can find. And once you've heard the effect of compression, you cannot 'unhear' it. The peaks go away before the distortion crushes the music.

The first amp I used to drive my DBRs was a Denon PMA600NE, rated at about 35/70 watts at 8/4 ohms. It very definitely wasn't enough in my large room. Definitely. (It has been repurposed in the bedroom.)

Thus a serious consideration with most value proposition speakers, including the DBRs: they seem designed for a medium-size room with average ceiling height. I am satisfied with them, but if someone likes really loud music, they are probably going to overdrive them. That's maybe fine for rock and metal, but not pleasant for classical and jazz.
(I tend to turn the volume down rather than invest in speakers approaching the cost of a good used Porsche.)

* My home is an 'open plan' with a large portion having an almost 5-meter high ceiling and open areas to other rooms.

telemike

That is my estimate, also. But it depends on what we mean by 'loud listening.' I have a big, tall room* to serve with symphonic, jazz, and solo instrumental music. I do have an SPL meter. For me, loud tends to mean about 105 dB at 1 meter. At my chair, at 4 meters, that's about 12 dB less, or about 92 dB. Peaks could go a little higher, particularly on fortissimo orchestra and percussion passages. I have 150 watts per channel available, and it is adequate but not at all excessive. Given the DBR's sensitivity, numbers predict a need for about 100 watts to make 106 dB @ 1 meter.

My ears tell me that the DBR62s are suffering compression at levels above about ~100 dB SPL at 1 meter. Regrettably, Amir didn't test for compression, that I can find. And once you've heard the effect of compression, you cannot 'unhear' it. The peaks go away before the distortion crushes the music.

The first amp I used to drive my DBRs was a Denon PMA600NE, rated at about 35/70 watts at 8/4 ohms. It very definitely wasn't enough in my large room. Definitely. (It has been repurposed in the bedroom.)

Thus a serious consideration with most value proposition speakers, including the DBRs: they seem designed for a medium-size room with average ceiling height. I am satisfied with them, but if someone likes really loud music, they are probably going to overdrive them. That's maybe fine for rock and metal, but not pleasant for classical and jazz.
(I tend to turn the volume down rather than invest in speakers approaching the cost of a good used Porsche.)

* My home is an 'open plan' with a large portion having an almost 5-meter high ceiling and open areas to other rooms.

McIntosh 4300V 100wpc. Or my Luxman R117 at 165wpc

Deneroth

Hi, and sorry if this was already asked in this thread (there are 94 pages!).
I'm currently looking to upgrade my speakers. I've been daily driving a pair of SX-A103 from Victor for a while, but I want something with a more detailed soundstage and also just more detailing in the sound overall.

My current system is as follows:
PC (usually Amazon Music) > ifi Zen Dac V2 > Accuphase P-300 Amp > SX-A103
Additional info: I live in a 20m2 concrete room

How would you recommand the dbr62 against kef ls50 meta? I understand they are not at the same price point, but the meta is on discount right now and so the price difference right now is less than 400$ for new here in Japan.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dbr62 will produce lower and louder bass than the ls50. The ls50 will have better horizonal and vertical off axis response and wider dispersion. Both would benefit from a subwoofer.

Deneroth

The dbr62 will produce lower and louder bass than the ls50. The ls50 will have better horizonal and vertical off axis response and wider dispersion. Both would benefit from a subwoofer.
Thank you for the reply!
If both would benefit from having a sub, I'm inclined to go for the ls50 and later on upgrade my setup by purchasing a sub.

I have questions about low/high pass for when adding a sub, but I'll ask that on the ls50's discussion.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the reply!
If both would benefit from having a sub, I'm inclined to go for the ls50 and later on upgrade my setup by purchasing a sub.

I have questions about low/high pass for when adding a sub, but I'll ask that on the ls50's discussion.
While both will benefit from a sub, that is true of nearly all standmount speakers. That doesn't mean they all work the same way. Some integrate better than others. Some can use a lower crossover than others.

That is true for the DBR62, which I would wager will sound more full both with and without a sub. It can easily handle a 60-80 Hz crossover, which is not the case for the LS50. The LS50 is a leaner-sounding speaker just by design and you can still hear that after crossed to a sub at 100-120 Hz.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically, if these are for a desk, the LS50 Meta is hard to beat.

If they are for a room, I would not buy LS50's. But that's me.

Even if they were for a desk, I would look at the iLoud MTM first and save space and money. But again, that's me...

Deneroth

Basically, if these are for a desk, the LS50 Meta is hard to beat.

If they are for a room, I would not buy LS50's. But that's me.

Even if they were for a desk, I would look at the iLoud MTM first and save space and money. But again, that's me...
Thanks for the advice, this does give me food for thoughts.
I will likely pass on the iLoud MTM as I am not looking for active speakers atm.

Eldus

Hm, I can’t think of any major differences but I will try to pay attention and see if I can identify anything. Usually streaming Tidal though, sometimes Spotify, but lots of different types of music. Admittedly don’t have any room correction because I haven’t figured out a good/cheap way to do it…
Mini DSP UMIK-1 and REW is a nice start. Might need a mic stand too. This video is a good introduction to the world of DSP. The best options are not free. I have only dipped my toes into REW.

Opal

I am new here but have been lurking around in this wonderful forum for quite awhile... Just wanna share some of my experience

I have decided to go test out the DBR-62 based on all the recommendations here and have bought 1 pair for myself. Very nice sounding speakers under $800. heard new details that i have never heard of. The most recent direct competition to these ELACs are the Polk audio R200. I spent 2 weekends to properly test out these 2 speakers from 2 different shops. I know the R200 measures better and i have tried convincing myself the R200 should be a "better" speakers but to my ears, the DBR-62 just sounded better and more satisfying. Perhaps the midrange of DBR-62 is what convinced me. The R200 are fantastic but the DBR-62 just sounded better to my ears on the mids and highs. I am really enjoying the DBR-62 now and i got a pretty good deal for it.

This is quite irrelevant but i tested the Elacs Solano and the Solano is absolutely fantastic. What a bloody good speaker at that price. Amazing details and soundstage. Hope Amir or Erin reviews them next time :D

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new here but have been lurking around in this wonderful forum for quite awhile... Just wanna share some of my experience

I have decided to go test out the DBR-62 based on all the recommendations here and have bought 1 pair for myself. Very nice sounding speakers under $800. heard new details that i have never heard of. The most recent direct competition to these ELACs are the Polk audio R200. I spent 2 weekends to properly test out these 2 speakers from 2 different shops. I know the R200 measures better and i have tried convincing myself the R200 should be a "better" speakers but to my ears, the DBR-62 just sounded better and more satisfying. Perhaps the midrange of DBR-62 is what convinced me. The R200 are fantastic but the DBR-62 just sounded better to my ears on the mids and highs. I am really enjoying the DBR-62 now and i got a pretty good deal for it.

This is quite irrelevant but i tested the Elacs Solano and the Solano is absolutely fantastic. What a bloody good speaker at that price. Amazing details and soundstage. Hope Amir or Erin reviews them next time :D
All I can find on the Solanos is a review by A British Audiophile who describes it as laid back and warm in the bass.

SeshatCZ

Great review and knowledge gathered. Appreciated. I noticed in the review that they would require quite a bit of power from the amplifier. However @Offler's review shows that they are doing just fine with NAD d3020v2.

I am considering to replace speakers for my Pianocraft 670. Do you think that it will be capable or would you conider those speakers to be too power hungry? At this moment I am rather not planning to change the amp ;).

Best Regards.
I have tried them with this integrated amp alone, and there was a distortion in richer passages with more French horns typically. Maybe it is in correlation with the measured sudden elevation in phase right after the impedance deep in this review, maybe it is irrelevant. In every case, when I use NAD d3020v2 as a preamp only for digital sources (optical TV, bluetooth for streaming from tablets or phones), and tried together with it several various separate amps with power around 100 Watts, then there was never again such problem and I am very pleased with clean sound across the spectrum. So I think, that there is a risk of similar problems to use this combination (Elac dbr62 speakers with NAD d3020v2 inegrated) alone for serious listening...

Trilis

Hey guys, I just found perfect amplifier for these speakers. NAD 160a. So detailed and plenty of bass I was just amazed. If someone happens to find this please try out, you will be amazed.

Chaconne

Hey guys, I just found perfect amplifier for these speakers. NAD 160a. So detailed and plenty of bass I was just amazed. If someone happens to find this please try out, you will be amazed.
Was this a blind, level-matched comparison with other amps? Not trying to cast aspersions or question your findings; I'm just genuinely curious.

Trilis

Tested on ARCAM (can't recall model right now), NAD C388, NAD3020. They all sucks.
Old models NAD 160a and Model 300 were good.
Model 300 has more power but not so detailed. 160a was just amazed, low volume or high volume does not matter, sound very detailed and with plenty of bass. You can even feel vibration on the couch. Seems these speakers want "old power" :) Was listening in acoustic area and in living room same feeling they just sing.

Eldus

They also sound good on my PA5 =). Such great speakers. Now time for some acoustic treatment to tame my tiny room.

Top Bottom