• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am skeptical that one needs a lot of power to drive these adequately. Hear the same old story in the headphone world too. Where are the measurements that prove more 'quality watts' into these speakers produces a better FR?
The phase and impedance graph shows you need an amplifier that can provide the necessary current at the frequencies where the impedance is low and the phase angle is close to 45.

nathan

I am skeptical that one needs a lot of power to drive these adequately. Hear the same old story in the headphone world too. Where are the measurements that prove more 'quality watts' into these speakers produces a better FR?
You are right, as long as the amp delivers very close to double the watts it gives to an 8 ohm load when it drives a four ohm load.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
You have the right to be skeptical, it's the good position when you do science.

You also have the right to read what ahs already been published on the subject, it helps to not restart at the beginning, you can capitalize on it.

IMG_20220314_072904.jpg

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Thanks mate you're right. Dam. Was hoping to use the Yamaha wxa-50 with these.
A friend of mine uses the Yam and he is happy...

I believe it depends on what you are waiting for. Measurements are here to determine what is good and what is not so good, but in the real life if you're happy, that's the main point.

nathan

I would guess you are going to be okay with that Yamaha because based on the specs it is a pretty high current design. It nearly doubles it's output from 8 to 4 ohms.

It would be nice to see detailed measurements, of course, to confirm, but based on what we know, nothing rules it out.

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 5.46.21 AM.png

Eldus

My Topping PA5 sounds Fantastic in my small room it gets plenty loud. I even have it hooked up with RCA inputs ~2v. I can also use High gain on my JDS Atom for more.
I sounds much much better than my old 2006 Denon 2807. It must have had something odd going on in regards to phase. I think. Also the Topping is far far cleaner.
The volume of the music you are listening to does matter. A modern pop track is going to be much louder than a jazz record from the 50s.

Erici

Forum Donor
I think you'll probably be happy with the Yamaha. But it depends on how loud you like to listen to music and how close your listening position is to your speakers. Here's a good link to read on the subject:

fragzone

I think you'll probably be happy with the Yamaha. But it depends on how loud you like to listen to music and how close your listening position is to your speakers. Here's a good link to read on the subject:
Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated.

I don't want to drive them to deafening levels. Only on rare occasions do I let speakers rip and that is when I am a few beverages deep, but even then, even that is quite far removed from the Max levels of the 2 powered bookshelves I use. Glad to hear the yammy should be adequate as I love the musiccast ecosystem.

dvcpro100

I think they're the best of the <$1100 2-ways I've tested. They measure extremely well. The crossover integration is very tight--better than the Revel M60 I tested, and way better than the Monolith. I'm still not wild about the wave guide--I'm pretty sure I could get a more spacious sound out of it without the guide. But at least it doesn't introduce any coloration. They're not BMR's, but they don't cost $1,700 either.
typo? Is Revel M60 actually Revel M16?

Bouteille

Ah yes I did it !!! Read the 90 pages ! :p
Summary: good speakers

It will probably be my next move, paired with minidsp SHD + purifi amp.

Hopefully it makes a big difference when compared to my antique infinity primus 150.
BTW I'd love to see them measured. There are plenty of cheap ones on ebay so maybe a good option if they happen to measure well (or not too bad).
I would be ok to buy one and get it delivered to @amirm, do you think that could be of interest for you/him ?

Thanks for all your comments about these Elac speakers, it helps a lot as always !

Benedium

Forum Donor
Recently placed these speaker near as possible to front wall about 15cm/6 inch. Found that it sounds good to crossover to dual subwoofers at 60hz (instead of 80hz) with denon avr. Subwoofer disappears completely while stereo imaging and phantom center seems to have improved. Previously subwoofer bass was always overwhelming. Not sure if there are any disadvantages.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, it's easier to get a good crossover blend at 60-70 Hz but it needs capable speakers. 80 Hz is theoretically best but it can take more work to get the sub to disappear.

Benedium

Forum Donor
In my experience, it's easier to get a good crossover blend at 60-70 Hz but it needs capable speakers. 80 Hz is theoretically best but it can take more work to get the sub to disappear.
I wonder if this has to do with dbr62 phase impedance thingie, which amirm said they need more current at low voltage. So perhaps with 60hz crossover I have to turn up the volume and increase the voltage which is just what the speakers need to perform with the denon avr internal amps?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this has to do with dbr62 phase impedance thingie, which amirm said they need more current at low voltage. So perhaps with 60hz crossover I have to turn up the volume and increase the voltage which is just what the speakers need to perform with the denon avr internal amps?
I didn't mean my response was specific to this speaker.

PeterMac

I have DBR-62 with Loxjie A30 (optical connection) for nearfield listenings. For same setup owners how do you EQ them ?

Equalizer APO do not work for WASAPI modes. I use Foobr2000 "Graphic Equalizer" and tried to normalize their spinorama specially in midrange and add some extra brightness treble, they are not fatigue speakers so I think extra treble is good for little better details.

How do you think is it good my EQ ?

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2022-03-26 225410.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2022-03-26 225410.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 78
  • petermac_eq.zip
    271 bytes · Views: 60

Smitty2k1

Hey all, joining the club. Just purchased a pair of Elac DBR62 to start building out my living room system. They will be powered by a Marantz NR1509 AVR as I already have it laying around. Will eventually add a center channel and likely a sub down the line. Not sure if I'll end up going a full 5.1.

For now I'm trying to determine if I should wall mount the DBR62 on a small shelf next to my tv or if I should go with stands. I'm a bit worried about a trip hazard with stands at the top of the stairs and with a toddler knocking them over, but stands would give me the opportunity to pull the speakers to a different position for more critical listening.

Any thoughts from anyone who has these wall adjacent?
20220203_114041.jpg

Eldus

Hey all, joining the club. Just purchased a pair of Elac DBR62 to start building out my living room system. They will be powered by a Marantz NR1509 AVR as I already have it laying around. Will eventually add a center channel and likely a sub down the line. Not sure if I'll end up going a full 5.1.

For now I'm trying to determine if I should wall mount the DBR62 on a small shelf next to my tv or if I should go with stands. I'm a bit worried about a trip hazard with stands at the top of the stairs and with a toddler knocking them over, but stands would give me the opportunity to pull the speakers to a different position for more critical listening.

Any thoughts from anyone who has these wall adjacent?
View attachment 196299
I don't know.
I would think that having them in that "mini room" that the TV is in could cause odd reflections that could blur the soundstage and such. I am no expert but I wonder if having them (at least the left one) just peek past the inner wall right flush with it for the tweeter to breathe. The door does complicate things. Also it is hard to recommend a permanent placement. I would say if you can do a temporary demo set up while moving the speakers around to hear what it might be like at different locations. I do know GIK does offer some acoustic treatment/placement advice if you create your room in their virtual room creator tool.

Top Bottom