• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Reddy

i have often read that without the tweeter protection cover the frequency response will become slightly smoother. Is there any measurment that will be verify this statement?

georgew2

could be an acceptable option to pair elac dbr62 with jbl lsr 310s? I have aldready this sub and I wonder how is the result with these speakers

georgew2

could be an acceptable option to pair elac dbr62 with jbl lsr 310s? I have aldready this sub and I wonder how is the result with these speakers

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I’ve used DBR62 with different subs, all with great results - Infinity R12, Rokit 10s, SVS PB1000. There’s no “synergy” magic that I’m aware of with subs and mains - get the best sub or two you can afford, just integrate them properly with delay, crossover and such. It’s trivial to make it work, hard to perfect.

Last edited:

Eldus

I’ve used DBR62 with different subs, all with great results - Infinity R12, Rokit 10s, SVS PB1000. There’s no “synergy” magic that I’m aware of with subs and mains - get the best sub or two you can afford, just integrate them properly with delay, crossover and such. It’s trivial to make it work, hard to perfect.
Do you have a favorite crossover point? Are you using an active crossover or just adjusting the sub?

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I demo'd the DBR62 I found that you can pop the little screen over the tweeters right off, goes right back on too. As far as sound, I found they had the same distant slightly through-a-tunnel sound near the crossover frequency with or without the screens. I wrote about this before and I don't see anyone backing me up on it so YMMV. Maybe the waveguide is the problem, I don't know.

Eldus

When I demo'd the DBR62 I found that you can pop the little screen over the tweeters right off, goes right back on too. As far as sound, I found they had the same distant slightly through-a-tunnel sound near the crossover frequency with or without the screens. I wrote about this before and I don't see anyone backing me up on it so YMMV. Maybe the waveguide is the problem, I don't know.
Could be a room mode.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could be a room mode.
yeah, who knows, was demoing speakers setting them at edge of a folding table along the long axis of a medium-sized room, 5.5' apart and 8' to listener (and so speakers were 1.5'+ to wall behind them. Listener ears level with speakers (sitting on couch), no room treatments, carpeted floor, neutral room but only an 8' ceiling so potential for unwanted reflections there. Tested against Monitor Bronzes, Elac debut 2.0's, Pioneer unmodified BS-52's, Dali Oberon 1's. All lacked the tunnel problem the DBR's had but each had their own (significant) flaws. Ended up keeping the Pioneers and doing Dennis' mod on them as a stop gap until I can find something I'm satisfied with. Going more expensive next.

darakon

After this very positiv review from Armir, I bought a pair of elac debut.

Maybe it was not terrible. But it was not good either.
The sound reproduction seems quite artificial to me. Voices did not sound natural.

I gave them 3 days, but my first impression did not change.

The speaker went directly back to the vendor.

syr1990

The sound reproduction seems quite artificial to me. Voices did not sound natural.

Are you referring to the ELAC Debut Reference (DBR-62)?

Gorancho

Hmmmm.....no way :)

darakon

Yes, indeed! ;)

... of course only my personal opinion.

Good measurements and recommendation in some forum might help, but are no guarantee.

I have great respect of amir's work and experience.
But still listening impressions of different people in different surroundings will probably not come to the same result.

@syr1990:
it were Elac Debut Reference DBR62

Last edited:

JazzKhan

Hey guys great thread I read most of it and enjoyed a lot. So much I learned form this forum.

Special Thanks to @amirm to take time out to review these little gems.

Okay so here is my situation. Right now I have Energy pro 22s running with Denon avr1712 and a Sub. I use Audyssey XT. I also have NAD C370 sitting. I also have Dynaudio BM5A mark ii that I use for recording/mixing. And for fun I brought my Infinity IL10s downstairs to try, they sound bright after Audyssey.

It's a unfinished basement, so it's a mess, concrete walls, carpeted, I have some curtains at the back wall and undercarpet here and there as absorbers.

The room size 20x45x8. The current speakers are 4 feets away from the back wall 10 feet apart and I sit 10 feet away.

So I'm thinking of three options, Elacs, Polk R200 brand new or I can get Revel F36 for couple of hundred more used.

What you guys think make most sense in this situation. Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hey guys great thread I read most of it and enjoyed a lot. So much I learned form this forum.

Special Thanks to @amirm to take time out to review these little gems.

Okay so here is my situation. Right now I have Energy pro 22s running with Denon avr1712 and a Sub. I use Audyssey XT. I also have NAD C370 sitting. I also have Dynaudio BM5A mark ii that I use for recording/mixing. And for fun I brought my Infinity IL10s downstairs to try, they sound bright after Audyssey.

It's a unfinished basement, so it's a mess, concrete walls, carpeted, I have some curtains at the back wall and undercarpet here and there as absorbers.

The room size 20x45x8. The current speakers are 4 feets away from the back wall 10 feet apart and I sit 10 feet away.

So I'm thinking of three options, Elacs, Polk R200 brand new or I can get Revel F36 for couple of hundred more used.

What you guys think make most sense in this situation. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you can treat the 1st (and possibly 2nd) reflection points with broadband absorption, this is an easy decision: Revel F36. If not, you may need to experiment with narrower dispersion speakers like the Polks.

Newman

Major Contributor
I am far from an expert - but 10 feet apart at 10 feet away seems much too far apart for proper imaging??
It’s the perfect 60 degree equilateral triangle, that is the generic recommended listening angle.

JazzKhan

If you can treat the 1st (and possibly 2nd) reflection points with broadband absorption, this is an easy decision: Revel F36. If not, you may need to experiment with narrower dispersion speakers like the Polks.
Yes I do have some absorption at first point reflection on the side wall and ceiling but not sure how good they are.

Destination: Moon

It’s the perfect 60 degree equilateral triangle, that is the generic recommended listening angle.
Thanks,. Funny I prefer them closer. I find that I can discern 2 separate sources when they get too far apart, and a lack of coherence - if that's the right word

I have the Polk 200s in my living room that is fairly large, well damped. About 8 feet apart, toed about 15 degrees, I'm 11 feet away

Top Bottom