• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thanks, I’m still looking into it, ELAC’s are a possibility, I gave up with the idea of a cheap sub since I’ve seen Erin’s measurements, but other reviews with actual data are hard to find.
Currently the option I like the most seems to be the SVS 3000 Micro, it has good extension in a really small package, which is important because the room is small and it’s hard to find even 30/40cm2 of floor space.
The 3010 is smaller than the 3030 which is a bit big there are also the more expensive ones which are better looking

Gorancho

Tidal connect => volumio on pc => topping d70s via usb => luxman m700u via xlr => elac dbr62 => sooo good ;)

20211214_140322.jpg

telemike

I'm just loving these speakers more and more. I can't really see what I could replace them with. No need to spend more money.

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Thanks, I’m still looking into it, ELAC’s are a possibility, I gave up with the idea of a cheap sub since I’ve seen Erin’s measurements, but other reviews with actual data are hard to find.
Currently the option I like the most seems to be the SVS 3000 Micro, it has good extension in a really small package, which is important because the room is small and it’s hard to find even 30/40cm2 of floor space.
Hi Paolo,

Try the excellent subwoofer comparison thread in this forum.

Audioholics also has a number of instructive comparisons.

I went through a similar process recently, and ended up with a sealed unit similar to an SVS SB2000 (but cheaper as it was 2nd hand).

The Monolith 10 is unbeatable bang for buck according to most testing though.

I have an older ported sub and running them simultaneously does smooth the response, but I can get good results with EQ and just the new sub too. If I were you I'd try a Monolith 10, then if you can't tame the room modes, get another one later.

Last edited:

TheWalkman

Plenty loud, currently being driven by the Aiyimas, with a Topping enroute!
The Topping arrived and is now connected and driving the Elacs.

Despite speculation that the Elacs would need more power (by Amir‘s comments in the initial review) the Topping and the Aiyima‘s drive them well and loud.

Too, as I comment in the Topping PA5 thread, the Topping is a great amp but if you’re on a budget, buy the Aiyima 04 or 07 instead with a quality, 36V Mean Well power supply and put your extra money into the Elacs. You’ll have a great system that will keep you happy for many years of listening pleasure.

These little speakers continue to make me grin with their outstanding performance.

Eldus

Despite speculation that the Elacs would need more power (by Amir‘s comments in the initial review) the Topping and the Aiyima‘s drive them well and loud.

Too, as I comment in the Topping PA5 thread, the Topping is a great amp but if you’re on a budget, buy the Aiyima 04 or 07 instead with a quality, 36V Mean Well power supply and put your extra money into the Elacs. You’ll have a great system that will keep you happy for many years of listening pleasure.

These little speakers continue to make me grin with their outstanding performance.
Are you supplying the PA5 with a balanced connection or single ended RCAs?

mario_rouge

What about SMSL DA9? do you think it can drive these speakers well?

Livnmuskoka

I'm really liking these speakers again. I had upgraded to the UBR62's about 5 months ago, and they gave me a little extra detail and clarity I thought I was looking for again over the DBR62's.
But along with the UBR62's not measuring as well in my room, that extra detail reminded me that it goes further in showing bad recordings. So I noticed myself choosing only better recordings and not enjoying the music as much.
They also have other things I like better than UBR62's but can't explain for sure what they are. A slightly warmer sound and prefer the tonality more? Bigger soundstage although not quite as focused? Slightly bigger dip in the most fatiguing 1khz to 4khz area? I don't know, but I like them a lot. So I'm back to 3x DBR62's for LCR and that's where I'm going to stay again for awhile.
In this less treated and more difficult room I'm in now, I also prefer the DBR's over previous Paradigm Prestige 15B's, Elac Adante's and Bryston Mini T's.

Last edited:

cata02

How sensible are these wrt to positioning and side walls?
I might not have lots of options wrt to back wall and i have one of the speaker will also have a side wall close, while the other one no sidewall at all.

Thanks!

Livnmuskoka

How sensible are these wrt to positioning and side walls?
I might not have lots of options wrt to back wall and i have one of the speaker will also have a side wall close, while the other one no sidewall at all.

Thanks!
I have mine equally spaced from the side walls, which is about 6' from each wall.
If I had serious limitations with placement I would just use good headphones.

cata02

I have mine equally spaced from the side walls, which is about 6' from each wall.
If I had serious limitations with placement I would just use good headphones.
don't like using headphones for movies; not my cup of tea.
15 cm is maybe doable for me, but i have the asymmetry between the speakers.

zuker81

Have tested a CXA61, NAD C368 and Peachtree Nova 150 driving my DFR52 (tower version) in a 375 ft^2 room with high ceilings. For those wondering about wattage, I’ve found little distinction between 60W, 80Wand 150W of available power at normal listening levels (~85db or below) using a dedicated A/B switch between the amps and level matching with Umik-1. All amps seem to have plenty of headroom left, enough to chase you out of the room, although I’m sure the Nova has the most, if you wanted to go that far. End of the day, all these amps coax beauty out of these speakers. The amp that sold me on these when demoing only had 45W in a large treated room.

So if it helps anyone in the initial stages of the audiophile thing and wringing their hands about wattage with their debut references (like I have), there seems to be plenty of flexibility. I even often found myself gravitating to the 60W Cambridge for certain sessions even though I knew it wasn’t “supposed” to be able to drive the speakers well.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi Dennis,

What did you think of them?
I think they're the best of the <$1100 2-ways I've tested. They measure extremely well. The crossover integration is very tight--better than the Revel M60 I tested, and way better than the Monolith. I'm still not wild about the wave guide--I'm pretty sure I could get a more spacious sound out of it without the guide. But at least it doesn't introduce any coloration. They're not BMR's, but they don't cost $1,700 either.

Top Bottom