• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe mount them on the outermost walls outside the nook. under the lightswitch on the right side and next to that panel on the wall on the left side. That would get them out of the way of the main walkway. Might be a bit awkward for people to move around, you could put some potted plants next to them to make it more esthetically pleasing and reduce the likelyhood of people knocking into them by mistake.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe mount them on the outermost walls outside the nook. under the lightswitch on the right side and next to that panel on the wall on the left side.
I agree with this. It will bring the speakers closer to you which will increase the direct to reflected sound ratio, causing them to sound more detailed. Then get a much bigger screen :cool:

Smitty2k1

Thanks. Hadn't considered mounting them that wide. I'll need to see what it's like but I doubt it will pass the WAF. Eventual center channel would also be set back by TV. Not sure if that matters. I'll also have seating along that left wall with the windows but I suppose that doesn't preclude a speaker there.

Here's the other side of the room FWIW. The futon is already gone and replaced by a couple leather chairs. In the market for a nice sofa.

Attachments

• 20220203_114053.jpg
    20220203_114053.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 226

Newman

Major Contributor
Hadn't considered mounting them that wide.
The problem is that the nook itself is a very undesirable acoustic chamber. Putting the speakers in them is worst case; putting them just outside is still not good but less-worse-case.

Smitty2k1

The problem is that the nook itself is a very undesirable acoustic chamber. Putting the speakers in them is worst case; putting them just outside is still not good but less-worse-case.
Why do people with dedicated home theatres put their LCR in a soffit behind the screen? I'd think it would be a similar problem?

Newman

Major Contributor
They should be building a false wall/infinite baffle flush with the drivers, otherwise, indeed, they are in similar purgatory.

nathan

Why do people with dedicated home theatres put their LCR in a soffit behind the screen? I'd think it would be a similar problem?
If they do it right, they will fill the open space with absorbing material, so that the SBIR from the walls, and the comb filtering from boundaries like the screen itself, are heavily attenuated.....or build a baffle wall (and still use absorbing material on the baffle).....of a combination of both.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know what amplifier amirm uses to test passive speakers? AHB2?

Do these work best on a desk or living room / 10' away?

Do they require a sub on a Desk?

Also are they Made in China?

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do these work best on a desk or living room / 10' away?

Do they require a sub on a Desk?

Also are they Made in China?
They are pretty big for a desk. They will work great in either scenario since the on axis and predicted in room response are both very good. I use them in my room at regular listening distances. You should get a subwoofer in either case if your budget allows.

Audiofool1Q84

After spending weeks of agonizing over the decision and going thru all 90 pages I pulled the trigger. Have had my Dbr 62s for a week now. I am absolutely in love with them! Thank you @amirm for this terrific find and for all the work you and the ASR community do. Made a modest contribution thru the account upgrade option to show my appreciation. Cheers

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
After spending weeks of agonizing over the decision and going thru all 90 pages I pulled the trigger. Have had my Dbr 62s for a week now. I am absolutely in love with them! Thank you @amirm for this terrific find and for all the work you and the ASR community do. Made a modest contribution thru the account upgrade option to show my appreciation. Cheers
What kind of music do you prefer to play on these? I also have a pair of the DBR62s and I'm a classical, symphonic, solo piano, and jazz listener.
I adore the pair I have and doubt I'll replace them -- maybe forever. (I use them with two 10" powered subs in a large room.) I bought mine shortly after Amir wrote his report on them.
Beatus musicam audire.

Audiofool1Q84

What kind of music do you prefer to play on these? I also have a pair of the DBR62s and I'm a classical, symphonic, solo piano, and jazz listener.
I adore the pair I have and doubt I'll replace them -- maybe forever. (I use them with two 10" powered subs in a large room.) I bought mine shortly after Amir wrote his report on them.
Beatus musicam audire.
Interestingly (apart from a bit of Jazz) I listen to literally every genre apart from what you're into :)
Yeah, I recall someone else on the forum saying they have literally stopped bothering with reviewing anything else after owning the 62s and I'm probably gonna be in the same camp - but oh what a sub could do with these - that would be my last stop

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Interestingly (apart from a bit of Jazz) I listen to literally every genre apart from what you're into :)
Yeah, I recall someone else on the forum saying they have literally stopped bothering with reviewing anything else after owning the 62s and I'm probably gonna be in the same camp - but oh what a sub could do with these - that would be my last stop
Good! I should try out some 'apart from' music. As to subs, consider (just consider) a couple of less expensive powered subs rather than one pricey one. After trying one sub, I found that two subs made a delicious difference in my room; not louder but smoother low bass, and less peaky.* You can use a fancy-schmancy* EQ, or you can just move and tune them by ear to make lovable* bass in your room.

I find the DBR62s to be music reproducers, not music reinventors.

*Arcane technical terms

Last edited:

ezra_s

Forum Donor
yeap, I'm there, not looking for anything else, got what I was looking for with these.

E-Lint

Some recent experience by a newbie getting back into the hobby....I finally got the UBR52's about a month ago. It took the full month for them to fully loosen up. I had been about to call them a loss but they sound great now. I don't know if the 62's will do the same but I just wanted to call attention to the possible need for patience in break in. I was so sure the 52's weren't staying I ordered the ARB-51 Navis powered versions. They've arrived but I'm waiting for other parts before I start up that system (my DAC for instance has made it as far as Anchorage, no word on the dog team departure yet). I'd love to hear how you find the 62's, I really agonized over the decision. I'm waiting on hearing the Navis's before deciding on a sub(s). I had arrived at the same conclusion about needing a sub with the 52's. Be patient on the break in.

E-Lint

I respect the opinion of those who have not heard the effect but I couldn't care less about the break in opinions. They were literally muddy as hell for a month and then they opened up. It's the only reason they're still here. I'm waiting for the Navis's to come online to determine if I really need to spend that much money or not. Speaker breakin, although not a rule, happens. I've had it happen three times (this is the third) over my audio lifetime in speakers much more costly than these. These were simply very, very obvious. Andrew Jones has said as much and, if I were of a mind to listen to absolute statements, I would listen to his.

Chaconne

I respect the opinion of those who have not heard the effect but I couldn't care less about the break in opinions. They were literally muddy as hell for a month and then they opened up. It's the only reason they're still here. I'm waiting for the Navis's to come online to determine if I really need to spend that much money or not. Speaker breakin, although not a rule, happens. I've had it happen three times (this is the third) over my audio lifetime in speakers much more costly than these. These were simply very, very obvious. Andrew Jones has said as much and, if I were of a mind to listen to absolute statements, I would listen to his.
If I recall Andrew Jones's YouTube interview with Steve Guttenberg correctly, he actually discounted the idea of speaker break-in, implying that only the first few minutes of playing make a difference. If you can point to statements to the contrary, I'm certainly open. In any case, it would be worth it to review that video.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have opened factory sealed speakers in the quantity of thousands, test drove them and used them for months to years and found no break-in period to be applicable. I did find that I get used to new speakers and some I like more after time and others I find that I notice stuff that I dislike where upon first listen I thought they where pretty good. I think break-in is a mental thing and a situation of becoming adjusted to a new sounding speaker.

E-Lint

Good for you, you're a lucky guy. I don't disagree with your experience. You have what you have. However this was not some subtle effect. Muddy, muffled, this was no *getting use to it* situation. So I have the experience I have. And, as I said, at least one speaker designer agrees. As they say, YMMV.

Top Bottom