• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

darakon

After this very positiv review from Armir, I bought a pair of elac debut.

Maybe it was not terrible. But it was not good either.
The sound reproduction seems quite artificial to me. Voices did not sound natural.

I gave them 3 days, but my first impression did not change.

The speaker went directly back to the vendor.

syr1990

The sound reproduction seems quite artificial to me. Voices did not sound natural.

Are you referring to the ELAC Debut Reference (DBR-62)?

Gorancho

Hmmmm.....no way :)

darakon

Yes, indeed! ;)

... of course only my personal opinion.

Good measurements and recommendation in some forum might help, but are no guarantee.

I have great respect of amir's work and experience.
But still listening impressions of different people in different surroundings will probably not come to the same result.

@syr1990:
it were Elac Debut Reference DBR62

Last edited:

JazzKhan

Hey guys great thread I read most of it and enjoyed a lot. So much I learned form this forum.

Special Thanks to @amirm to take time out to review these little gems.

Okay so here is my situation. Right now I have Energy pro 22s running with Denon avr1712 and a Sub. I use Audyssey XT. I also have NAD C370 sitting. I also have Dynaudio BM5A mark ii that I use for recording/mixing. And for fun I brought my Infinity IL10s downstairs to try, they sound bright after Audyssey.

It's a unfinished basement, so it's a mess, concrete walls, carpeted, I have some curtains at the back wall and undercarpet here and there as absorbers.

The room size 20x45x8. The current speakers are 4 feets away from the back wall 10 feet apart and I sit 10 feet away.

So I'm thinking of three options, Elacs, Polk R200 brand new or I can get Revel F36 for couple of hundred more used.

What you guys think make most sense in this situation. Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve Dallas

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey guys great thread I read most of it and enjoyed a lot. So much I learned form this forum.

Special Thanks to @amirm to take time out to review these little gems.

Okay so here is my situation. Right now I have Energy pro 22s running with Denon avr1712 and a Sub. I use Audyssey XT. I also have NAD C370 sitting. I also have Dynaudio BM5A mark ii that I use for recording/mixing. And for fun I brought my Infinity IL10s downstairs to try, they sound bright after Audyssey.

It's a unfinished basement, so it's a mess, concrete walls, carpeted, I have some curtains at the back wall and undercarpet here and there as absorbers.

The room size 20x45x8. The current speakers are 4 feets away from the back wall 10 feet apart and I sit 10 feet away.

So I'm thinking of three options, Elacs, Polk R200 brand new or I can get Revel F36 for couple of hundred more used.

What you guys think make most sense in this situation. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you can treat the 1st (and possibly 2nd) reflection points with broadband absorption, this is an easy decision: Revel F36. If not, you may need to experiment with narrower dispersion speakers like the Polks.

JazzKhan

If you can treat the 1st (and possibly 2nd) reflection points with broadband absorption, this is an easy decision: Revel F36. If not, you may need to experiment with narrower dispersion speakers like the Polks.
Yes I do have some absorption at first point reflection on the side wall and ceiling but not sure how good they are.

Destination: Moon

It’s the perfect 60 degree equilateral triangle, that is the generic recommended listening angle.
Thanks,. Funny I prefer them closer. I find that I can discern 2 separate sources when they get too far apart, and a lack of coherence - if that's the right word

I have the Polk 200s in my living room that is fairly large, well damped. About 8 feet apart, toed about 15 degrees, I'm 11 feet away

Papaya_X

Hello all, I'm planning to buy the ELAC DBR62 (or Polk R200/R100) and I'm seeing almost everywhere that they need a lot of power to be driven correctly, if not power, some "grunt".

I have a SMSL AO200/DO200 stack to drive them, do you think it will be sufficient for them to be driven correctly ?

pio80

Hello all, I'm planning to buy the ELAC DBR62 (or Polk R200/R100) and I'm seeing almost everywhere that they need a lot of power to be driven correctly, if not power, some "grunt".

I have a SMSL AO200/DO200 stack to drive them, do you think it will be sufficient for them to be driven correctly ?
Yes without any problems, another thing is how they will play, as for I know elacs can sound a little bit dry, fatique with class d Amp (for example loxjie a30..even audiolab 6000a class ab and dbr 62 - not good connection..), which I dont like!

Steve Dallas

How big is your room, what is your listening distance?

Papaya_X

Yes without any problems, another thing is how they will play, as for I know elacs can sound a little bit dry, fatique with class d Amp (for example loxjie a30..even audiolab 6000a class ab and dbr 62 - not good connection..), which I dont like!
Thank you for your reply ! Some may argue that DBR62 match very well with good class D amps as they sound kinda warm. Also, by experience, I find AO200 sounding very different as typical class D amp like TPA3255 or even Hypex, it's more warm and it doesn't have this piercing highs. So maybe it will be a good match.

N.B : my AO200 is modded with Silmic caps and with opa2210 or 1692 opamps
How big is your room, what is your listening distance?
It is a little room of 14m² and it will be used as near field monitors at approximately 1,5 to 2 meters distance.
Speakers will be on stands and at 30-40 cm from the wall. I plan to treat the room at one point to improve bass interaction and reflection.

Steve Dallas

Thank you for your reply ! Some may argue that DBR62 match very well with good class D amps as they sound kinda warm. Also, by experience, I find AO200 sounding very different as typical class D amp like TPA3255 or even Hypex, it's more warm and it doesn't have this piercing highs. So maybe it will be a good match.

It is a little room of 14m² and it will be used as near field monitors at approximately 1,5 to 2 meters distance.
Speakers will be on stands and at 30-40 cm from the wall. I plan to treat the room at one point to improve bass interaction and reflection.

You have enough power to drive them properly at those distances. Enjoy!

Willem

Major Contributor
Enjoy, but don't believe all this nonsense about the sound of class D amplifiers. And don't waste time and money on modding stuff.

Papaya_X

Enjoy, but don't believe all this nonsense about the sound of class D amplifiers. And don't waste time and money on modding stuff.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm only entering this rabbit hole and found a class D amp to be a good entry point for the cost, value and overall quality (also I'm a student). I always loved tinkering with my gear (guitars, amps, pedals, computers,...) and for me it's part of this hobby, and as long as it doesn't cost me more than 8-10% of the price of the gear and the modding can be perceived it is well worth doing that.

That being said, I will definitly evolve in this hobby and buy more mature piece of gear. I think about audiolab A6000a for exemple and I would love to have the possibility to place some Magnat Transpuls in my room, but eh... Chi va piano va sano

Willem

Major Contributor
Keep reading here, and it will save you a lot of money (and the science will get you better sound).

pio80

Dont get me wrong , there is a thin line between classes in present and You have to try this combination for sure and Your perception of hearing tells You more..

Willem

Major Contributor
Do you have data for such differences? Hypex and Purify amplifiers have measured far better than just about any AB designs.

Top Bottom