• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

liquidman101

Yeah, a DAC with volume control and XLR outputs and you're set. Topping D30 Pro, SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X16 for example. No need for a separate pre-amp unless you have analog sources or want a headphone amp.

Thanks for that Eetu - I prob will get a pre-amp as I might get myself a turntable at some point. Do you have any thoughts on CD players in the affordable range? Or are they all pretty much the same? Cheers for your advice.

liquidman101

Don't pay attention to what audiophiles say. Waiste of time.

That's why I love this site - people with great experience and the essential element of objective testing of equipment. As someone who has never come close to owning truly high-end equipment it is pleasing to discover that it is possible to achieve something close to excellent quality audio without taking out a home loan.

Before I started researching I used to look longingly at glossy photos of equipment in hi-fi mags that had price tags in the tens of thousands. My attitude was a bit like - my ears are excellent listeners - they deserve equipment of the highest quality! :) Of course I could never afford it, so I just became disillusioned and didn't buy anything - thinking it was better to just listen to my crappy old off the shelf gear until I could afford the high-end stuff.

Now I've decided to narrow it all down to gear that has been objectively tested and assessed by experts such as the good people here. It will make the process a lot easier and I think cheaper.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
That's why I love this site - people with great experience and the essential element of objective testing of equipment. As someone who has never come close to owning truly high-end equipment it is pleasing to discover that it is possible to achieve something close to excellent quality audio without taking out a home loan.

Before I started researching I used to look longingly at glossy photos of equipment in hi-fi mags that had price tags in the tens of thousands. My attitude was a bit like - my ears are excellent listeners - they deserve equipment of the highest quality! :) Of course I could never afford it, so I just became disillusioned and didn't buy anything - thinking it was better to just listen to my crappy old off the shelf gear until I could afford the high-end stuff.

Now I've decided to narrow it all down to gear that has been objectively tested and assessed by experts such as the good people here. It will make the process a lot easier and I think cheaper.
I am an old guy so I spent a lot of money in this game.
I discovered ASR, sold near everything expansive old gear and today I use something under 1000€ with great pleasure and the insurance everything is top measurements gear. And some money in my pocket!

silentt29

Impedance is high at about 8 ohms but the phase angle is quite acute at nearly 50 degrees. This means the speaker will ask for current when the output voltage is very low. So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker.
How "beefy" of an amplifier do you recommend? I'm planning to get a Yamaha A-S501 integrated amp, which is rated at minimum RMS power 85 W/c into 8 ohms and 100 W/c into 6 ohms.

liquidman101

How "beefy" of an amplifier do you recommend? I'm planning to get a Yamaha A-S501 integrated amp, which is rated at minimum RMS power 85 W/c into 8 ohms and 100 W/c into 6 ohms.
I am getting a pair of the Elac DBR 62s in the next week or so - will probably match them with the March Audio P252 Class D amp. The panasonic DP-UB9000 will be my input device at this stage. Around 1549.00 (on special). These items have all been favourably reviewed by ASR - so I'm very excite!

psyDaVinci

Just got a pair. And actually I am dissapointed (bought them without listenning) - they are boring. No drive at all (I listen mainly to electronics, metal, phonk). Going to replace them
(Paired with NAD C356BEE)

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just got a pair. And actually I am dissapointed (bought them without listenning) - they are boring. No drive at all (I listen mainly to electronics, metal, phonk). Going to replace them
Welcome Aboard @psyDaVinci.

D

Deleted member 12642

I just got a pair of these in for the living room and very much enjoy them. They measured similar to the 8030c I have so I figured I'd like them a lot and I do. Tossed them in the living with some stands and well, they just do their thing. I seem to enjoy wide dispersion speakers and I keep getting wider and wider, it was 50 (kh80), now 60 (8030c) , and now 70-80 with the elac. Really makes me wanna try the BMR mid range in a design of my own.

I will say, my recent speaker purchases have really made me just completely ignore anyone else's opinion about a speaker. I purchased some speakers that many considered non-fatiguing and they were the exact opposite of that, and not just subjectively. The most common complaint I hear from people is that the the DBR62 is boring sounding. I think the reality is, people like bright speakers. They like the sort of fake detail they get from a select few mid range and treble bumps.

There is not a damn thing boring about these speakers. They sound quite close to the 8030c's, just with more heft in the lows. The grills looks amazing but I keep them off. I think the finish looks fine, it's obviously a vinyl wrap but you don't know or care unless you're looking to scrutinize it.

So yeah, I hate subjective opinions on speakers so much now, like I get it, it's your preference, but a lot of the criticisms and positives I've read of speakers I've bought recently just don't line up with the speakers performance. I think most people just have no real frame of reference when making their comments. Sorry I'm mostly just venting about my recent frustrations with speaker purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

liquidman101

Thanks for the heads up on the Elacs. Any idea what you are going to replace them with? I am thinking of going with the Revel M16s or maybe even a good speaker kit from CSS or GR Research - but I'm worried I might stuff it up :)

liquidman101

I just got a pair of these in for the living room and very much enjoy them. They measured similar to the 8030c I have so I figured I'd like them a lot and I do. Tossed them in the living with some stands and well, they just do their thing. I seem to enjoy wide dispersion speakers and I keep getting wider and wider, it was 50 (kh80), now 60 (8030c) , and now 70-80 with the elac. Really makes me wanna try the BMR mid range in a design of my own.

I will say, my recent speaker purchases have really made me just completely ignore anyone else's opinion about a speaker. I purchased some speakers that many considered non-fatiguing and they were the exact opposite of that, and not just subjectively. The most common complaint I hear from people is that the the DBR62 is boring sounding. I think the reality is, people like bright speakers. They like the sort of fake detail they get from a select few mid range and treble bumps.

There is not a damn thing boring about these speakers. They sound quite close to the 8030c's, just with more heft in the lows. The grills looks amazing but I keep them off. I think the finish looks fine, it's obviously a vinyl wrap but you don't know or care unless you're looking to scrutinize it.

So yeah, I hate subjective opinions on speakers so much now, like I get it, it's your preference, but a lot of the criticisms and positives I've read of speakers I've bought recently just don't line up with the speakers performance. I think most people just have no real frame of reference when making their comments. I'm mostly just venting about my recent frustrations with speaker purchases.
Thanks for your input on the Elacs - I think I need to go hear them for myself, as you say that is the only way to know. Can I ask - what do you mean when you say speakers are 'fatiguing'? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 12642

Thanks for your input on the Elacs - I think I need to go hear them for myself, as you say that is the only way to know. Can I ask - what do you mean when you say speakers are 'fatiguing'? Thanks.

I'm referring to listener fatigue, your brain+ears get tired of a the sound quickly. The usual culprit involves peaks in the mid range and top end, a slope in response that favors the top end can also do it (or from the end not enough bass energy). Distortion in the upper half of the spectrum can also cause fatigue.

The speakers in question were the Dynaudio BM5's. Dynaudio seems to think their speakers are easy to listen to for extended sessions, but I actually found them to be quite bright, and fatigue set in quickly, dip switches were of no help. I write and often mix music for clients so I'm usually listening for hours and need something that won't fatigue. I find the 8030c with the treble -2db switch, and the DBR62 to be the right balance between detail and easy to listen to.

There is a demo of the Dynaudio speakers vs. some HS8's, you can immediately the hear the more forward and bright sound of the dynaudios. The Yamaha HS5 are also a speaker in which you can check the response in the review on this site, they have a peak at 1k that made me return them. Coupled with their low bass output it made for an immediately tiring experience.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reality is, people like bright speakers. They like the sort of fake detail they get from a select few mid range and treble bumps.

Or maybe you just like more boring speakers ;). The Elac is technically further from the truth(less neutral) than those other 2. But yeah, not everyone prefers neutral.

D

Deleted member 12642

Or maybe you just like more boring speakers ;). The Elac is technically further from the truth(less neutral) than those other 2. But yeah, not everyone prefers neutral.

If you mean the bm5's too, nah I measured those, peaking in 1k region, dip between 3-4k that goes into a boosted treble from 7k to 10k. HS8's were ok, lacking in low end punch, and the top end was messy. I find the elacs to be more neutral.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• NZ6_5324 • JPEG 50%.jpg
    NZ6_5324 • JPEG 50%.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 363

Denon545

The ELACs or the Buchardts?

I've posted about the ELACs before in this thread. I just wanted to hear them in the same room. The ELACs are normally in a larger room with all hard surfaces.

What are your thoughts on the DFR52's? In my room, they are some of the best measuring speakers I have had- sound pretty good too.

This is with no EQ. Room mode around 150hz or so or else it would be even better.

ELAC.JPG

Top Bottom