• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be curious to see measurements on the Dali's. It sounds like they have a mid-range bump, above neutral. I'd also wonder if that would harm longer term listening.

All just speculation of course. Personally I wouldn't want more midrange from my DFR, I think they have the right balance.

the effect of a concave lens was obtained, as if the vocals were pushed far back,
Interesting way of putting this - but I know exactly what you mean and I've noticed this same "lensing"effect. Different recordings exhibit it more prominently. On certain recordings I think it may actually be a subjective enhancement, adding a bit of the "refinement" that these speakers are often quoted as exhibiting, but when raw, upfront energy is needed by a vocalist or heavier guitar/synth etc. sometimes these sounds can seem recessed in the soundstage in a way that feels like something a little more than just freq response. I think this effect has contributed to the oft-repeated "boring" description of the dbr62. I listened to some metal the other day, which I rarely do, and was like huh... yeah I guess I get the "boring" thing now. This effect can create a beautiful smoothness to the mid range, but at the expense of sapping a little rawness/energy.

^ I am using and recommend: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html

Pair it with a good DAC/Preamp and it doesn't get audibly better.
Sorry I am a noob, and I would love to know which preamp, dac and streamer would you recommend.

System
Speaker: Elac DBR62
Amp: AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC
Preamp: Need recommendations
DAC: Need recommendations
Streamer: Need recommendations(Would love if it is something that had HDMI & Airplay too, apart from the standard Spotify connect etc)

weasels

Sorry I am a noob, and I would love to know which preamp, dac and streamer would you recommend.

System
Speaker: Elac DBR62
Amp: AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC
Preamp: Need recommendations
DAC: Need recommendations
Streamer: Need recommendations(Would love if it is something that had HDMI & Airplay too, apart from the standard Spotify connect etc)

I'd go with something like a Topping D50s, which has a volume control and BT, so can cover both the preamp and DAC functions (unless you need a phono preamp).

T.T.

Interesting way of putting this - but I know exactly what you mean and I've noticed this same "lensing"effect. Different recordings exhibit it more prominently. On certain recordings I think it may actually be a subjective enhancement, adding a bit of the "refinement" that these speakers are often quoted as exhibiting, but when raw, upfront energy is needed by a vocalist or heavier guitar/synth etc. sometimes these sounds can seem recessed in the soundstage in a way that feels like something a little more than just freq response. I think this effect has contributed to the oft-repeated "boring" description of the dbr62. I listened to some metal the other day, which I rarely do, and was like huh... yeah I guess I get the "boring" thing now. This effect can create a beautiful smoothness to the mid range, but at the expense of sapping a little rawness/energy.
@ksulliva01, @Vyacheslav, I had similar experience initially, but it did improve significantly when I eliminated reflections (and I have not yet treated the ceiling, which based on the measurements could be the main culprit). Also toe-in adjustment has noticable effect on the soundstage.

my original post:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rence-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/post-598375

Interesting point. Yes those Dali are about $900 in the US whereas the ELAC at about $600. (Both prices are per pair.) So it is a little bit unfair, in that sense. But not unreasonable completely in that someone might well decide $300 is a fine premium to pay if it makes an audible difference.

Since I am cross shopping with the Focal Aria 906....and building out eventually a 7.x.4 system from the same vendor -- while the Dali are then obviously in the range I personally am considering (the Focal are priced like the Dali) the price difference is non trivial, especially once multiplying it by several times to complete the full setup, so the more expensive options better be a step up!

That being said, while a speaker that places things more forward may be more exciting, it may also not be what the recording engineer intended, and may be tiresome after a while. Each person, however, has their own preferences and I have certainly selected and been happy with gear that editorializes a bit, from time to time. I love the Harman curve on my AKG headphones for example!

weasels

The store in Russia where I listened to acoustic systems today

https://www.audiomania.ru/polochnaya_akustika/elac/elac_debut_reference_dbr-b6.html
ELAC Debut Reference DBR62
595,18 USD

https://www.audiomania.ru/polochnaya_akustika/dali/dali_oberon_3.html
DALI Oberon 3
654,48 USD
Yeah, that's a lot closer in price than in the US. For an extra $60 per pair I'd go with whatever you preferred while listening, particularly if the dealer allows for returns if you change your mind.

Is it just me or I see lack of bass in these speakers. Like total lack of or may be I am doing something wrong. Being a super noob and minimalist I have paired them with sonos amp. And gosh I love the clarity and sound stage just wow amazing. :)

However one place they fall apart is the bass/low end esp at low volume. I don't know if its just me, or a bad pair of speakers or something else in my setting. Sadly trying to figure out how to make them sound better in low end without getting a sub.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Total lack of bass indicates you're sitting in a phase cancellation in a part of the frequency band responsible for bass impact. The solution is probably to move your seat and/or the speakers.

Agree with @Chromatischism - you're probably sitting at a point where the bass coming out of the speaker and the bass bouncing off the walls is cancelling out. My last apartment had this issue bad - right where my couch was, with no option to really move anything. Using a simple tone generating website I did a frequency sweep and right around the low 50 hz and upper 40s, the tone basically went silent, and then came back some the lower I went. If I walked to the back corner of the room, all of that missing bass would be completely present again. This occurred with the Elac debut 6.2s, and also a set of Yamaha HS8 powered monitors. To me, the DBR62s have stronger perceived bass output than either of those speakers so something's not right. FWIW, I also run the Sonos amp with these and I do EQ the bass up to +6, sometimes even higher (I'm a lifelong bass player - I like some thump). Also, at low volumes definitely make sure "loudness" is on - helps a bit. If it's a cancellation thing though, just turning up the bass probably won't help all that much. I seem to recall that this effect happens the worse in the center of a square (cube?) shaped room. Are you sitting in the center of a square?

Amplifier Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR Hypex Ncore 250W
DAC SMSL SU 9
Banana plugs DYNAVOX Gold Plated Banana Plug Ø4mm (Set x4) x2
Speaker cables CANARE 4S11 Star Quad Speaker cable - 6 meters
XLR connectors Neutrik NC3FXX and Neutrik NC3MXX x2
XLR Cables CANARE L-4E6S 3 meter
Speaker Stands Bowers & Wilkins STAV24 S2

Currently waiting for all these to arrive so that I can listen to the Elac DBR62, hope I picked well

Amplifier Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR Hypex Ncore 250W
DAC SMSL SU 9
Banana plugs DYNAVOX Gold Plated Banana Plug Ø4mm (Set x4) x2
Speaker cables CANARE 4S11 Star Quad Speaker cable - 6 meters
XLR connectors Neutrik NC3FXX and Neutrik NC3MXX x2
XLR Cables CANARE L-4E6S 3 meter
Speaker Stands Bowers & Wilkins STAV24 S2

Currently waiting for all these to arrive so that I can listen to the Elac DBR62, hope I picked well
I think these are not the last audio components in your life. Then look at the class A and AB amplifiers. The power of 30 watts per channel is enough for home listening to music. The regular Realtek chip has better linearity than DACs in separate packages. SMSL sells simple and cheap electronic components in modern-looking packages. Better to buy a laptop with an 11-inch screen. More possibilities. To connect the acoustics to the amplifier, a regular copper stranded wire from a hardware store is suitable. The sound won't get any worse.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think his choices are very good. Yes, simple wire is fine, but some want something a little nicer if it's going to be visible. At least nothing there is $$$ snake oil and there is nothing that the NCore can't power with transparency. It is a very solid amp, even without considering its price.

Last edited:

ferongr

Forum Donor
I think these are not the last audio components in your life. Then look at the class A and AB amplifiers. The power of 30 watts per channel is enough for home listening to music.
I have the DBR-62s and an 85W Yamaha AS-501 was not enough to power them at high volumes. I then got an Audiophonics NC252MP-based amp and they now can be effortlessly powered to ear-destroying levels.

ferongr

Forum Donor
If I wanted a sermon I'd join a religion. I normally listen at an average level of 80dB as indicated by my UMIK-1. But sometimes it's nice to pump up the volume. And not having the capability to do that would be disappointing.

If I wanted a sermon I'd join a religion. I normally listen at an average level of 80dB as indicated by my UMIK-1. But sometimes it's nice to pump up the volume. And not having the capability to do that would be disappointing.
I am an electronics engineer and I do not practice religion. By the level of your volume, I can say that it flatters everyone in its own way. To understand a piece of music, 5 - 7 watts is enough.

Top Bottom