• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

QMuse

Major Contributor
Are you basing the EQ off the spinorama or the Predicted In Room Response graph? I have the F35s and wouldn't mind using Amirs measurements to try a speaker correction EQ, but wasn't sure which one to use. That said, I have no clue how to make filters yet (I'm slowly learning!) so I'm probably a bit in over my head, but I'm curious to see what it does to the sound of my speakers.

Predicted in-room response is derived from LW, ER and SP. I do EQ to smooth both, PIR and LW, as much as possible. For near-field listening it would IMHO make more sense to put accent on LW while for far-field listening you may want to consider PIR more.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think we should create a new thread with a library of EQ settings based on the measurements and confirmation by ear by me. I don't want to hold up the reviews for them though. So feel free to post the EQ you want me to try and I will see if I can test them before shipping the units back.

Alternatively, I could try it if we can automated the process.

typericey

A search on YouTube led me to this video. I don't know this guy but with his thinking and the gear that he has (@March Audio amp!), I'm guessing he's a fellow ASR guy. To the video creator, if you're reading this, please let us know if you're in this forum.

Thorskin

What would be a good budget new amp ($200-300) to drive these speakers?
this seems like it would be the perfect sub $1k setup
$600 on speakers, $100 on DAC and $200-300 on amp
I was thinking perhaps a Behringer a800 or a Volt+ D and a Schiit Sys (or some other cheap preamp)
But perhaps someone has a better idea?

Last edited:

dmorrow

Forum Donor
I am unsure what that really means. As far as I know, there isn't an analogy between "grunt" in amplifiers and torque in motors or engines....in that diesel engines can have massive torque compared to a gasoline engine of similar displacement, but don't run at high rpm, so they are said to have "grunt" but not (horse)power.

Is there such a thing as a "non-beefy" amp that can deliver power????

If P = V * I, and V = I * R, then P = I^2 * R, correct? For a fixed impedance, that means the peak power an amp can deliver is directly dependent on the ability of the amp to deliver current.

Someone please disabuse me of my ignorance, if that's the case.

I didn't see a clear response to your question, so I'll take a stab.

I believe "grunt" would translate to how "responsive" the power supply is - i.e., it can deliver the needed amps very quickly.

A "beefy" amp would have a large chunk of iron that would hold (or store) a large amount of energy in the magnetic field. When you have a need for a lot of amps (e.g., sudden, large change in volume) or very fast changes in amp draw (e.g., plucking a string), having the ability to pull the energy from that stored magnetic energy helps a lot versus going all the way back to the outlet to get the needed, rapid change in those amps.

So, all else being equal, a low cost "non-beefy" amp would not deliver the same performance as a "beefy" amp for music with large volume changes or which presents lots of detail.

Put another way, if you played a 1000 hertz sine wave through a "beefy" and a "non-beefy" amp at a continuous volume they may sound the same ( all else being equal, including the power rating). They would not sound the same when you start changing those sine waves in the form of classical music or action movies.

BTW - this is my first post here. While I'm an electrical engineer, I'm not claiming any expertise whatsoever in the audio engineering field. I'm sure this response will be critiqued, corrected and/or modified by others.

Also, as a new member, I sincerely appreciate this forum as it is very useful and informative. I do find it interesting that for a forum that uses the word "science" in its name, terms like "grunt" and "beefy" are used when trying to explain techncial concepts;)

Last edited:

typericey

I bought dbr-62 in Italy and I believe in your subjective thanks a lot @amirm .... thanks, thanks and thanks again. It is a pleasure to be here in a community where the recommendations are based on objective analysis and not on commercial contamination.

So how did you find them?

I also have a pair on the way. I really don't need yet another pair right now, but I just had to try these well executed, well measuring speakers from AJ.

marcom22

So how did you find them?

I also have a pair on the way. I really don't need yet another pair right now, but I just had to try these well executed, well measuring speakers from AJ.

I can only tell you one thing (which applies to everything) that positioned near my father's super gold Tannoy he did not recognize which speakers sounded better. In short, they gave a hard time to $ 5,000 speakers moved by a Technics class A / B amplifier with 200 watts rms.

Awesome speakers.

lonewolf

Predicted in-room response is derived from LW, ER and SP. I do EQ to smooth both, PIR and LW, as much as possible. For near-field listening it would IMHO make more sense to put accent on LW while for far-field listening you may want to consider PIR more.

That makes sense to me! I listen more far-field so PIR should take more precedence.

I think we should create a new thread with a library of EQ settings based on the measurements and confirmation by ear by me. I don't want to hold up the reviews for them though. So feel free to post the EQ you want me to try and I will see if I can test them before shipping the units back.

This is a great idea! Having speaker EQs based off the measurements could be very interesting indeed. From what I understand, JBL Synthesis offers speaker EQ based off anechoic measurements and it sounds like it would be a useful feature. I have no idea how much work it would be to create something like this, but if it is possible I could see it adding value to what you are doing!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Excellent++ idea.
There are Githubs EQ corrections for headphones, let's do it for speakers!

typericey

So these were delivered by the courier at 8:45pm tonight but I couldn't wait the next day. After just 30 minutes of listening, I can say that they sound so good, it must be confirmation bias!! But seriously, hope to post a more detailed (subjective) review as soon as I spend a few more hours with it.
20200619_211247 (2).jpg

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
So these were delivered by the courier at 8:45pm tonight but I couldn't wait the next day. After just 30 minutes of listening, I can say that they sound so good, it must be confirmation bias!! But seriously, hope to post a more detailed (subjective) review as soon as I spend a few more hours with it.
View attachment 69708
Beautiful setup, looks like IBM system from sixties.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A search on YouTube led me to this video. I don't know this guy but with his thinking and the gear that he has (@March Audio amp!), I'm guessing he's a fellow ASR guy. To the video creator, if you're reading this, please let us know if you're in this forum.
You caught me, yep, those are my speakers! The sound quality continues to be as expected (neutral). Everything I've bought since joining ASR has been inspired by ASR measurements. My current headphone stack is the Archel 2.0 and Topping E30 - it's silly how good this $300 pairing is.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 69708
It's not confirmation bias at all. I literally have both the Revel M126Be and these Elac speakers side by side for double blind testing, and I just gave up because my findings would have just opened me up to accusations of being on the Elac payroll (I'm not). As a matter of fact, because of these Elacs I've completely lost interest in buying expensive audio gear and quite literally given up on reviewing audio gear altogether. I've ran both of these speakers through REW for weeks, in various permutations and settings, and consistently, the Elacs come out "flatter" in terms of measurements - it's as if Andrew Jones new we'd be measuring these things and he prioritized REW measurements just because he can.
But subjective listening? Let's just say I'm too old to be reviewing audio gear anymore when I can't definitively say whether the budget speakers or flagship monitors sound better; minor differences, yes, but you get my drift.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
You caught me, yep, those are my speakers! The sound quality continues to be as expected (neutral). Everything I've bought since joining ASR has been inspired by ASR measurements. My current headphone stack is the Archel 2.0 and Topping E30 - it's silly how good this $300 pairing is.

Well, I would like to thank you for your video, I really loved the way you explained your thoughts. Among the standard bs from YouTube, your video is a clear breath of fresh air and it helped me to buy these speakers (first time in my life I buy before listening).

Thank you again Sir!

typericey

You caught me, yep, those are my speakers!

Ha! I knew it. The gear you listed on your video were also tells: RME DAC, Blue Jeans cable, Revel speakers. Although when I browsed your other videos I noticed they were all about TVs. Like what @renaudrenaud said your video is a welcome change from all those hi fi content creators. And yes, your video was also the tipping point of my Elac purchase.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Ha! I knew it. The gear you listed on your video were also tells: RME DAC, Blue Jeans cable, Revel speakers. Although when I browsed your other videos I noticed they were all about TVs. Like what @renaudrenaud said your video is a welcome change from all those hi fi content creators. And yes, your video was also the tipping point of my Elac purchase.
And March Audio amp!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figured some of you would figure it out sooner or later! Was just waiting for it so I could reward your deductive skills with a confirmation.

Top Bottom