• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

ferongr

Forum Donor
I'd wager that a 100W@8Ohm amp would be capable to drive them to high levels without distortion. It's just that with the abdundance of high-power, low cost Class-D solutions today, everybody just buys those and recommends them

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

civi

I wonder how tiny yamaha wxa-50 with its 50/100W would drive them.

QMuse

Major Contributor

I see no reason why it wouldn't drive them well, they are not difficult to drive.

If you are referring to that circled point with "difficult" note you should note that impedance at that point is app 8 Ohms while phase is at -50 deg. 8*Cos(50)=5.142 so nothing to write home about. ;)

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not too bad.
When I started buying hifi amplifiers were mainly 8-10 watts, the single driver speakers were fairly efficient though.
As lower colouration speakers became available they were usually less efficient, 86dB/watt was about average but a 20 watt amp was a big one and 45 watts enormous pro unit.
I think lots of power is a good thing but like so much fashion is determined by what is available not what is necessary IMO.
Mind you a lot of good speakers back then had voice coils and formers that were only able to take 25-20 watts anyway.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not too bad.
When I started buying hifi amplifiers were mainly 8-10 watts, the single driver speakers were fairly efficient though.
As lower colouration speakers became available they were usually less efficient, 86dB/watt was about average but a 20 watt amp was a big one and 45 watts enormous pro unit.
I think lots of power is a good thing but like so much fashion is determined by what is available not what is necessary IMO.
Mind you a lot of good speakers back then had voice coils and formers that were only able to take 25-20 watts anyway.
I've seen thousands of systems with inefficient bookshelf speakers running 35-40 W/ch amplification. Yes the 100 W/ch is nice to have but not always necessary. I would always choose a slightly smaller amplifier if that means getting better speakers unless the budget allows for both to be sized accordingly.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I go back and forth on this. If you don't listen super loud and your speakers are 85/86 db sensitive or better that amp is plenty. You will still be able to drive a speaker to very loud volumes.
That said in a large room if you plan to rock out, & I mean really rock out those watts go fast. Especially on dynamic passages.
I had a 80 watt amp and the clipping indicator would spark up from time to time at extremely loud volumes and sometimes with harder to drive speakers. This was audible as well.
On the Crown XLS 2502 that have used from time to time I never come close. Ever. I have liked using this type of amp for high volume listening. It is really awesome for that. Sounds great as in no audible flaws to me and has a smooth high end which can be a problem with class D (and really any amp) to some folks.
Massive power for cheap.

BostonJack

Editor
Love these measurements. I'm really thinking about getting a pair. My impulse is to iron, scrape, claw that vinyl cladding off, mask and prime them appropriately and give the sides and back a nice gloss red paint job at my local body shop. That would scratch my DIY itch.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Love these measurements. I'm really thinking about getting a pair. My impulse is to iron, scrape, claw that vinyl cladding off, mask and prime them appropriately and give the sides and back a nice gloss red paint job at my local body shop. That would scratch my DIY itch.
Of course, if you do not like the vinyl, it's not a big problem.

I am weak, I've ordered. For the moment I don't care if I will receive or not, I am just happy to be delivered of this question.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
hahaha... yes, I let these questions float for a *long* time, but that is me. An old boss of mine, in a one-on-one had a stack of Porsche brochures out on his desk. As I walked in, he said "I think that selecting the exact Porsche you want to buy is probably more fun than owning one."

André Gide, a french writer, write a book on this subject. Desire stronger than possession. I do not have any car... And frankly speaking, I even not paid for the order: I do some job to help and the guy proposed to buy for me. Nice deal.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that selecting the exact Porsche you want to buy is probably more fun than owning one
The opposite to me!
One of the reasons I have never bought a Porsche was the plethora of options and their cost! :)
They are good cars and until recently one of the few manufacturers still making small lightweight cars. I detest big, heavy inefficient cars.

wje

Forum Donor
For those who have questions or concerns about the vinyl, it is actually a pretty solid vinyl finish. Certainly, much better than the paper thin vinyl on the original B6 and still better than the improved finish on the B6.2, in my opinion. In one of those review videos, the guy noted some trim issues with the vinyl on the backs of the cabinets in the Walnut finish. I think that darker finish is harder to work with, but with the Oak finish, the veneer work is hard to notice imperfections.

While I did order the Walnut finish, but received the Oak finish instead with the white front baffles, I've determined that I'm going to stay with what was sent to me. I did make it out to get some Rustoleum stone-finish spray paint. I'm going to proceed with painting my black Monolith stands so there isn't such a contrast with the lighter speakers.

One quick note about the Oak finish on the Debut Reference. In all the pictures I've seen of the speakers on line, they make it appear more like a golden Oak finish. With the pair I currently have, the finish is more of barn Oak - and, yes, the color is actually starting to grow on me as I think back, all I've ever owned has been Walnut, Black or Piano black finished speakers. The lighter finish is going to work for me.

The sound? Well, I'll say it's just a comfortable sound. Since I did receive an open box pair, I'm not sure how many hours were logged on the speakers initially. But, I'm sure the sound will not change much more, if any. I could just sit and listen all day - which may or may not be a good thing because of the other projects I need to address.

Thumbnails of more pictures of the speakers and the finish are attached below. Just click on the thumbnail for a larger image.

Elac1.JPGElac2.JPGElac3.JPGElac4.JPGDSC00287.JPG

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who have questions or concerns about the vinyl, it is actually a pretty solid vinyl finish. Certainly, much better than the paper thin vinyl on the original B6 and still better than the improved finish on the B6.2, in my opinion. In one of those review videos, the guy noted some trim issues with the vinyl on the backs of the cabinets in the Walnut finish. I think that darker finish is harder to work with, but with the Oak finish, the veneer work is hard to notice imperfections.

While I did order the Walnut finish, but received the Oak finish instead with the white front baffles, I've determined that I'm going to stay with what was sent to me. I did make it out to get some Rustoleum stone-finish spray paint. I'm going to proceed with painting my black Monolith stands so there isn't such a contrast with the lighter speakers.

One quick note about the Oak finish on the Debut Reference. In all the pictures I've seen of the speakers on line, they make it appear more like a golden Oak finish. With the pair I currently have, the finish is more of barn Oak - and, yes, the color is actually starting to grow on me as I think back, all I've ever owned has been Walnut, Black or Piano black finished speakers. The lighter finish is going to work for me.

The sound? Well, I'll say it's just a comfortable sound. Since I did receive an open box pair, I'm not sure how many hours were logged on the speakers initially. But, I'm sure the sound will not change much more, if any. I could just sit and listen all day - which may or may not be a good thing because of the other projects I need to address.

Thumbnails of more pictures of the speakers and the finish are attached below. Just click on the thumbnail for a larger image.

View attachment 56179View attachment 56180View attachment 56181View attachment 56182View attachment 56183
Definitely, I would describe them as the model design for neutral 2 way box speakers.

Piotr

For those who have questions or concerns about the vinyl, it is actually a pretty solid vinyl finish. Certainly, much better than the paper thin vinyl (...)

Where is your subwoofer wje?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

View attachment 56179View attachment 56180View attachment 56181View attachment 56182View attachment 56183
Thanks for you early review and the pictures... But the really great question is elsewhere. From the kitchen, does your wife has noticed the now organic retranscription bla bla bla?

Andrew Jones eplained in an interview the difference between USA and Europe. In USA the public in audio fair is 99.9999% men. In Europe all the family is coming to the show. It means also some women are interested in the subject and listening to music is not a pleasure only for the man in the house.

Last edited:
Top Bottom