• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Pilot

Regarding grilles: :)
If there is kind fellow member with the equipment and time, could you please measure what you can on the DBR62 with the following configs:
  1. Cloth grille off, Tweeter protective grille on*
  2. Cloth off, Tweeter grille off
  3. Cloth on, Tweeter grille off
*this has been referred to in some posts as the tweeter's waveguide. I believe the waveguide is the conical section further in - the metallic grille is just protection?

To me, #2 is very "detailed" but also "harsh". I think I prefer #3 over the normal #1 and I am hoping this can be confirmed objectively.
On option 1, in addition to Amirm's measurement, I have this diagram (also shows both grilles on, in red):
elac_dbr62_quasi_anechoic_1m_on_axis_gron_groff.jpg

delta76

Major Contributor
Oh I should say! I have an SVS 3000 Micro. It was a middle ground that my SO would approve of! But perhaps I will look into getting a second one. We are moving to a new, larger space which is why I am considering the upgrade altogether.

Do the ELAC height speakers ontop of bookshelves/floorstanders perform decently for Atmos purposes or should one really look into ceiling mounted in-wall units?
upfiring is a "scam". if you have no mean to hang speakers on ceiling, or at least on wall so it can be down firing, it's better than nothing, but it's no where near the proper solution

I'm using upfiring as well, but it's just temporary solution until I have a dedicated theatre room. not recommend it.

upfiring is a "scam". if you have no mean to hang speakers on ceiling, or at least on wall so it can be down firing, it's better than nothing, but it's no where near the proper solution

I'm using upfiring as well, but it's just temporary solution until I have a dedicated theatre room. not recommend it.
Thanks for the input. I'll save my money. When people go for proper overhead speakers, do they opt for angled ones or overhead ones that point straight down?

delta76

Major Contributor
Thanks for the input. I'll save my money. When people go for proper overhead speakers, do they opt for angled ones or overhead ones that point straight down?
basically on ceiling (down firing directly) > on wall (down firing at an angle) >> up firing

a good Atmos implementation would make on wall speakers work quite well, but on ceiling will still provide the most immersive experience.

CauliflowerEars

Y

You can either use the same PEQs in any player having a parametric EQ,
or use the .wav file in Foobar (with convolver plug-in,) JRiver, EqualizerAPO, etc.
Apologies for a noobie question: how can I get a Parametric EQ functionality when listening from Tidal? iPad Tidal -> Wiim Mini -> Topping e30 II DAC -> old Pioneer a505r amp -> Elac DBR-62.

For ‘critical’ listening I go USB from laptop to the DAC. But the music is also from Tidal …

CauliflowerEars

Hoho... my US$15 carpet(also sound absorber) arrived and hung on front wall behind speakers.

Wow really cleans up the soundstage and improves clarity immensely. Certain frequencies that were previously sometimes too loud to my ears have somehow been reduced. Thus, I am now hearing much more details than ever.

I'm getting shivers of pleasure from the improved sound quality... I dare say, room treatment is the best upgrade I've experienced so far!
Interesting I bumped into your (old) post, as I am thinking about doing the same.
1. So, you had the DBR 30cm from the front wall, measuring from the speaker’s edge closest to the wall, yes?
2. Then hung the carpet. Do you maybe know the density of the carpet or could provide a photo/link?
3. Did you use any other treatment that improved the sound quality?

I was hoping ceiling treatment won’t be needed due to the low vertical directivity of the DBRs, but in the review, Amir has mentioned it. Would ceiling treatment improve the sound quality much in the following case?
a. Ceiling height: 270cm / 106.29’.
b. Tweeter‘s centre from the floor h: 113cm / 44.48’.
c. Woofer‘s centre from the floor h: 101cm / 39.76’.
d. Listening position to the speakers: 255cm / 100.39’.

Last edited:

mattzildjian

hey all, my current setup is a PC desktop arrangement, loxjie a30, wharfdale 220's with 2 svs sb1000 pros. (being corrected via SoundID Reference)
would swapping the 220's for these DBR62's be a meaningful upgrade?

Thanks in advance :)

delta76

Major Contributor
hey all, my current setup is a PC desktop arrangement, loxjie a30, wharfdale 220's with 2 svs sb1000 pros. (being corrected via SoundID Reference)

yes, for 2.0 difference in pref. score, it's significant enough that most people will prefer this speaker over your current one.

Newman

Major Contributor
This is testing my memory, but I think there is a video of Andrew Jones the speaker designer saying upfiring can be superior to ceiling mounted.

Edit: found it.

So, I wouldn’t exactly call it a scam.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning

i would think so, but subjective preference isn't always what it "should" be..

delta76

Major Contributor
This is testing my memory, but I think there is a video of Andrew Jones the speaker designer saying upfiring can be superior to ceiling mounted.

I said "scam", with quotes. So it works but not as well as downfiring. I have yet seen any cinema with upfiring setup, and if it actually sounds better, given it is much easier to setup, downfiring speakers would have vanished by now

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I wonder if he truly believes that or just said it because Pioneer had a product to sell?

Upfiring requires room dimensions to be within a certain range and a flat ceiling, so it does not work everywhere. I am sure it better than nothing, however.

Newman

Major Contributor
I said "scam", with quotes. So it works but not as well as downfiring. I have yet seen any cinema with upfiring setup, and if it actually sounds better, given it is much easier to setup, downfiring speakers would have vanished by now
I don’t think you watched the video. Jones clearly says downfiring is right for cinemas, but he also said upfiring is often better working than downfiring for many home rooms, in fact for typical home rooms.

cheers

Reactions: JRS

Philipp

The speakers are on sale in Germany, for 349€/pair.
They are not properly described in the header, but if you scroll down you will see in the main description that these are in fact DBR 62, in the pictures (backside of the speaker) as well.
May be the reason those did not sell?
I pulled the trigger!
DBR-62 on sale at Saturn

Last edited:

Phidel

The speakers are on sale in Germany, for 349€/pair.
They are not properly described in the header, but if you scroll down you will see in the main description that these are in fact DBR 62, in the pictures (backside of the speaker) as well.
May be the reason those did not sell?
I pulled the trigger!
DBR-62 on sale at Saturn
I bought a pair of DBR62 some months ago in a german shop for 330€ and I'm very happy with it, they are brilliant for music and games with my 3800H.

Philipp

So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive this speaker.
Would you consider the Fosi BT20A Pro with 48V Power supply Version as beefy enough to drive these speakers?

D

Deleted member 48726

This thread would be nice to read as well IR to this speaker -->

Philipp

@Holdt
Thank you. I must say that it lacks knowlege on my part to fully understand the recommended lecture. I thought my question was more of a No-or-Yes Kind of one.

Someone here to break it down for me? I read it, but i do not get to a clear conclusion, sorry!

Amirs measurements

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Holdt
Thank you. I must say that it lacks knowlege on my part to fully understand the recommended lecture. I thought my question was more of a No-or-Yes Kind of one.

Someone here to break it down for me? I read it, but i do not get to a clear conclusion, sorry!

Amirs measurements
the Fosi with 48 volt power supply has all the power needed to drive your speakers

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Holdt

Amirs measurements
Yes if its small to medium sized room and you won't listen from more than 3 m away. At 3 m it will be enough for about up to 80 dB SPL average (+15 dB bass peaks) (-10 dB for 1+2 m distance) or 105 dB SPL peak @ 1m. For more use (deacent) subwoofer with hi pass filter (@100 Hz) and you will gain about +10 dB on listening position.

Top Bottom