• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

kolestonin

I also don't have the knowledge(and the words), but moving the speakers from the back wall made a very big change in this regard(boring) in my case.
It's true that the speakers shine in higher volume, but I find them really enjoyable at lower as well(using a pre-amp and 2 subs though...)
Given the limitations on your space and the fact you are most probably in the return window, I would look for a more flexible model eventually.
One that is no so dependent in room placement(distance from back wall, twitter height etc).
Fellow members might have some ideas.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Kross try to find Yamaha R-N803/D if you can and if you can fit it in. It would set you back about 800€. Has streamer and basic room correction. Alternatively if size fits you could go with lower A-S range one (A-S501 440€ or A-S701 if you find it for a good price) that have "Loudness" function (equal loudness normalisation) they won't have streaming or room correction.
You definitely need to buy speaker stands and place them properly.
Example of good and not very expensive stands:
Sub's will always help and you will get a bottom octave more if you have requirements to have them in the first place (space, isolation, neighbors) and money for them of course. For now try to focus on amplifier with equal loudness normalisation and speaker stands and proper placement.

Last edited:

Kross

@Kross try to find Yamaha R-N803/D if you can and if you can fit it in. It would set you back about 800€. Has streamer and basic room correction. Alternatively if size fits you could go with lower A-S range one (A-S501 440€ or A-S701 if you find it for a good price) that have "Loudness" function (equal loudness normalisation) they won't have streaming or room correction.
Sub's will always help and you will get a bottom octave more if you have requirements to have them in the first place (space, isolation, neighbors) and money for them of course. For now try to focus on amplifier with equal loudness normalisation and speaker stands and proper placement.
Thank you.
Based on many suggestions I really need to figure out how to fit stands (challenging in my room).
I will definitely consider your amp suggestions with loudness control.
Does this feature make a noticeable difference based on your experience?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thank you.
Based on many suggestions I really need to figure out how to fit stands (challenging in my room).
I will definitely consider your amp suggestions with loudness control.
Does this feature make a noticeable difference based on your experience?
This is equal loudness normalisation:
images.png

So it basically do this:
Screenshot_20230322-084545~2.png

There is no substitute for proper placement!
Edit: best price I could find for Yamaha R-N803D and if you are in Germany or EU if shipping isn't expensive and no additional charges.
There whose A-S701 for 450€ in siled box newer used condition also in Germany but both by member last night (I wished him that it serves him good and for long time).

Last edited:

Benedium

Forum Donor
Buy a denon avr x3700h with audyssey xt32. Best value with loads of fun and features. Or even cheaper x3600h if still available. But takes up fair bit of space and needs good ventilation or cooling.

kolestonin

Just to add my feedback as I had these stands and they have indeed an excellent value for the money.
It is just that they don't go lower than 90cm which in my opinion(and experience) is a bit high for couch listening.
This was the reason I changed them with some 62cm high ones.
I would say that everything between 50-60cm of height will work wonders.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Just to add my feedback as I had these stands and they have indeed an excellent value for the money.
It is just that they don't go lower than 90cm which in my opinion(and experience) is a bit high for couch listening.
This was the reason I changed them with some 62cm high ones.
I would say that everything between 50-60cm of height will work wonders.
That's version with vertical angle adjustment. It is a little higher but I prefer it that way tilted down to evade most of the furniture refractions and give them optimal distance between the floor and the ceiling in order to avoid impact of both as much as possible.

Kross

For $500 you should add a subwoofer. That will get you the low bass and bass at low volume. Svs sb-2000 is what I used with them.

I got SB-2000 delivered and hooked today. Took some time to figure out best position in the room.

But HOLLY S..T, what an improvement! Now the sound has volume and I can almost feel it if it makes any sense. Even with non bass heavy music which I mostly listen to. Tweaked the volume on the sub to be gentle, not aggressive.
Thanks for advise!

Next step in the future will be to figure out if there any reasonably priced amp that can make my setup sound better then with SMSL A300.

For now I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got SB-2000 delivered and hooked today. Took some time to figure out best position in the room.

But HOLLY S..T, what an improvement! Now the sound has volume and I can almost feel it if it makes any sense. Even with non bass heavy music which I mostly listen to. Tweaked the volume on the sub to be gentle, not aggressive.
Thanks for advise!

Next step in the future will be to figure out if there any reasonably priced amp that can make my setup sound better then with SMSL A300.

For now I'm pretty happy.
So glad to hear you are enjoying the music!!

Kross

Buy a denon avr x3700h with audyssey xt32. Best value with loads of fun and features. Or even cheaper x3600h if still available. But takes up fair bit of space and needs good ventilation or cooling.
Thanks for advice.
Will that be a noticeable improvement over my current smsl a300? My room has no any acoustic treatment, options for speakers placement are limited. I also svs sb-2000 now.

Also, I'm new to the room correction term. Does audyssey xt32 really make big difference? Also, could it improve low volume sound quality of elacs?

I know, lots of questions. But spending $1k vs my $200 smsl a300 should be really justified

Anything else that's cheaper can be a significant upgrade over smsl or I'll have to eventually bite the bullet anyway?

logicx64

Thanks for advice.
Will that be a noticeable improvement over my current smsl a300? My room has no any acoustic treatment, options for speakers placement are limited. I also svs sb-2000 now.

Also, I'm new to the room correction term. Does audyssey xt32 really make big difference? Also, could it improve low volume sound quality of elacs?

I know, lots of questions. But spending $1k vs my $200 smsl a300 should be really justified

Anything else that's cheaper can be a significant upgrade over smsl or I'll have to eventually bite the bullet anyway?
Hey bro, I was also in the same boat as you. After doing some 5 hours researches back and forth, I found a much better deal over SMSL A300. Yamaha RX-V385 is way much better and has room correction. You can buy a Factory Refurbished one at the same price $200 from Accessories4Less.com .

Benedium

Forum Donor
Thanks for advice.

Not expert but I guess with dyn EQ setting, the bass can improve at low volume. I think it's worth the price because I get audyssey xt32 room correction, streaming for spotify, hdmi e-arc for TV/gaming and separate/discreet dual subwoofer inputs. Of course u might be tempted to get even more speakers and that will cost u even more in the future. Download the user manual to see if its worth it for you. Also check out the review thread here in ASR.

Last edited:

Kross

Here is an update.
I also bought KEF R3 and tested them at home.
And Oh Boy The sound on these!
Elac is going back.
KEF R3 are staying with SVS SB-2000 driven by smsl a300.
Now everything sounds ideal at any volume.
KEF are a mile better to my personal taste. Bright, jucy sound. Elacs were nice but sounded like covered with a blanket.

Attachments

• 20230325_195138.jpg
    20230325_195138.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 165

Benedium

Forum Donor
Here is an update.
I also bought KEF R3 and tested them at home.
And Oh Boy The sound on these!
Elac is going back.
KEF R3 are staying with SVS SB-2000 driven by smsl a300.
Now everything sounds ideal at any volume.
KEF are a mile better to my personal taste. Bright, jucy sound. Elacs were nice but sounded like covered with a blanket.
Congrats. R3 was my dream speaker too. Instead I swopped out my debut reference with unifi 2.0, the poor cousin of your speakers haha.

Kross

Hey bro, I was also in the same boat as you. After doing some 5 hours researches back and forth, I found a much better deal over SMSL A300. Yamaha RX-V385 is way much better and has room correction. You can buy a Factory Refurbished one at the same price $200 from Accessories4Less.com .
Can you describe the difference this yamaha made to the sound comparing to smsl?

logicx64

Can you describe the difference this yamaha made to the sound comparing to smsl?
I just ordered it a few days ago. People recommend it for Budget AV receiver under $500. The specs are definitely better than SMSL. It also has good reviews. That's why I choose it.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
A few months back I set up eBay alerts for the x3400 and x3500. Snagged an x3500 used for less than that shipped.
That's still used, and lower tire models than what he mentioned but a good catch.

Pilot

Regarding grilles: :)
If there is kind fellow member with the equipment and time, could you please measure what you can on the DBR62 with the following configs:
  1. Cloth grille off, Tweeter protective grille on*
  2. Cloth off, Tweeter grille off
  3. Cloth on, Tweeter grille off
*this has been referred to in some posts as the tweeter's waveguide. I believe the waveguide is the conical section further in - the metallic grille is just protection?

To me, #2 is very "detailed" but also "harsh". I think I prefer #3 over the normal #1 and I am hoping this can be confirmed objectively.

Top Bottom