• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Ref. DBR62 (500€) or pay over twice the price for Revel M16 (1200€)

Shanman

Forum Donor
The DBR62 vinyl wrap was definitely pretty lame. I expected a jump up from the Debut 2.0 black vinyl, but it was almost even worse with the wrap terminating in a visible seam on the bottom. The flat intrasecting edges where the vinyl was trimmed were plainly obvious.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
In the US the Polk R200 is on sale for $650. I don't know if that carries over to Euro Land

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aesthetics are interesting aren't they =] The actual physical design itself of the Revels is an eyesore to me. The weird gumdrop top piece and trim rings and ovals. I really don't like the way almost any of the revel models looks -- only the salon 2 are passable.

I've also never much understood the disdain for vinyls unless they're really sloppily applied (which I suppose they are in many cases). I'm rarely looking at speakers from so close or interacting with them physically. I just want them to look good from 8 feet away. And I'll take fake wood over another gloss finish any day...

I guess it really depends on your home/aesthetic/age/location etc.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US the Polk R200 is on sale for $650. I don't know if that carries over to Euro Land
Special price from HCS, France (MSRP 700€)
Screenshot_20211012-184210.png

Seems like a real bargain.

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Just as a data point since I don't know where the OP is located, these M16 just went for €378 in Germany (unknown willingness to ship international but Germans are usually kind and easy to deal with in my experience): https://www.ebay.de/itm/Revel-Concerta2-M16-07-2020-gekauft-sehr-guter-Zustand-/194417676633
At that price I was almost to bid on them myself if I haven't been fine with the DBR62s (repainted to be aestheticly passable).

We all want to know how this ends :)

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity: what kind of paint did you use on the vinyl?
2 layers of plain indoor primer and then 2 layers of some matt (~5) wall-/carpentry paint we had left from a murphy bed project last year (covid really made one's creativity kick into action ).

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IMHO, the M16 is nothing shout about measurement wise. Ive heard them and they are kind of muddy and unrefined in the lower parts of the frequency range and mids, something sounds not balanced as a whole. It could be corrected with eq I guess. I highly recommend looking at the Polk R200, those are better sounding to me and cheaper too. No need for an eq, you get accurate sound right out of the box, just the way it should be.

marcello252

I have the DBR62 and they are wonderful to my ears, absolut absence of listening fatigue, hours of joyful listening by now. I have the elac debut 2.0 6.2 too and they are a bit better with staging but they are not refined as the DBR and the Reference are way, way more musically pleasant.
the DBR62 are definitely very good speakers

Last edited:

marcello252

Also a in the middle option for me is the Polk R200 (750€)

I heard Polk 200 side by side with the DBR62 in the same session. Polk R200 are awesome speakers and to my ears more "hi fi" than DBR62, but the DBR62 are much more musical than the Polk R200, in the end I choosed the DBR62 and I'm quite happy

MarkWinston

I heard Polk 200 side by side with the DBR62 in the same session. Polk R200 are awesome speakers and to my ears more "hi fi" than DBR62, but the DBR62 are much more musical than the Polk R200, in the end I choosed the DBR62 and I'm quite happy
Totally understandable because some of us still listens to music with our hearts and emotions. And the R200 is more analytical than the DBR62.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MarkWinston

I better listen with my ears, until proven otherwise.
Is this supposed to be an issue for emotional listening?

I lost what way it should be, honestly...
Sad to hear you only listen with your ears when music can and will stir the soul. Sorry you are emotionless. If you cant understand and define musicality by on your own terms then I suggest searching deeper within.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Back on topic, I bet op is more puzzled now that he was before asking in here about what speaker to choose. Partly that is because the price difference between DBR62 and M16 is huge. To make my point, it's like comparing a car that costs 10.000 euro/dollars with another one that costs 24.000 (if my math is correct). I'd suppose the op have seen the reviews of both speakers on ASR, and they are very close performance wise, I think DBR62 has even higher score (for what it's worth). So the logical thing would be to get DBR62, and that's what I would do and may do so indeed at some point because I think I'll like this speaker for my system.

The reason I recommended to op to get M16 is because I think (and I may be totally wrong on this) that he is looking for a reason to justify getting M16, which I think would be his first choice if not for the price difference, and we can find plenty of reason for that beside measurement and performance. So if that's the case, go for the M16 I'd say.

Getting Polk will get you out of the dilemma though. People say it's a nice speaker and from what I remember the central speaker from Polk measured well in here and is cheap, if you'd like to add that latter to your system.

UniPolar

The vinyl wrap on the DBR 62 is somewhat disappointing, BUT it likely doesn't scratch easily like the M16's finish might.( or so it would appear from photos I've seen )
And the seam on the bottom is , well, on the bottom where no one but you will know it's there .
I think the look is kind of 'industrial' rather than a 'polished' furniture fixture. And I find it attractive with a 'modern' vibe..

Anyway , from where I'm sitting now in my darkened room, the exterior 'finish' really doesn't matter. :)

Since speakers are so personal, it would be nice if the OP could audition both speakers before making a decison.
I was in a similar position and ultimately decided to try the Elac's first - mainly due to the price. On first listen, I decided there we no glaring issues with the sound, so there was no further need to hear the M16's..

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to hear you only listen with your ears when music can and will stir the soul. Sorry you are emotionless. If you cant understand and define musicality by on your own terms then I suggest searching deeper within.
Alright: It would be better to spread this meaningless nonsense outside ASR. There is no place for this around here, but there're plenty of other forums where such things will find an audience...

Cheers.

Last edited:

dominikz

Forum Donor
IMHO 1200€/pair is a pretty steep price for Revel M16 - I got mine new (on sale) for around 760€/pair.
It's a great speaker IMO, but with these prices I'd probably be leaning towards Elac, Polk or Whaferdale, which seem to offer similar objective performance.

MarkWinston

Alright: It would be better to spread this meaningless nonsense outside ASR. There is no place for this around here, but plenty of other forums when you will find your audience.

Cheers.
I dont think you have the right to dictate what term can or cannot be used to express one's experience. Subjective terms are often used here, 'musicality' is no different to 'lean' or 'rich'. If you cant accept the term musicality, there are pure science forums around that you will fit in rather well. As in ASR, there is no such rule against using the word musicality. You not understanding it dont mean others wont.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont think you have the right to dictate what term can or cannot be used to express one's experience. Subjective terms are often used here, 'musicality' is no different to 'lean' or 'rich'. If you cant accept the term musicality, there are pure science forums around that you will fit in rather well. As in ASR, there is no such rule against using the word musicality. You not understanding it dont mean others wont.

When refering to equipment, "musicality" is just one more ingredient in someone's word salad.

Top Bottom