• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Debut 6.2 - For Desktop (Nearfield) or Small Room (20 sqm)

sound67

I'm still in the process of overhauling my Stereo systems (PC workplace nearfield & Bedroom), and in this process I just bought the ELAC Debut 6.2 bookshelf speakers.

Here's my thought: I could use them either to replace my Klipsch Reference RB-75's, much more expensive (US$ 1,600) back in the day, but that was 20+ years ago, or replacing my active Adam A5's, also almost 20 years old, active monitors in nearfield. I got two mini amplifiers (class D and class D + tube pre-stage) to drive them in either scenario.

Or am I just completely wrong-headed to even entertain such an idea, and no setup with the ELAC's could replace either?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have used them in a nearfield system to good effect, powered either by an Aiyima A07 or a Marantz 2216 (16wpc). Using for a large room system to replace the Klipsch...possibly, but you'd have to see how they sound to you. It's helpful for these that the porting is in front so specific placement against walls and corners is more forgiving.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Awfully big boxes for desktop.
Probably fine for a small room.
Is 20 m^2 "small"? Doesn't seem so to me.

The pair I had* filled my room (ca. 60 m^2, if I did my arithmetic correctly) pretty well driven by a 100-ish wpc, rather vintage Yamaha "AVR" (Dolby ProLogic-era) in stereo mode.

(not necessarily a recommended configuration, nor the only one that I tried -- and a different Yamaha receiver in this older photo!)

OP
sound67

sound67

The bedroom isn't that big, 20 square meters (4.5 by 4.5 meters). I could place them 1m (3 feet) from the wall, on stands, angled towards my bed.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
PS If the pair you just picked up are the pair I sold on Sunday -- congratulations! They're wonderful, outstanding loudspeakers! You'll love 'em!!! ;)

In all seriousness, they're OK, and not bad for their modest cost... but they're also nothing special, IMO and FWIW. :(

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I have these speakers. Unless you have a desk the size of Joe Biden's, they're probably going to be a little too big for you. Why don't you have a look at the Q Acoustics 30XX lineup?

DanielT

Major Contributor
A little about room acoustics and placement of speakers. Against the back wall, here it is discussed:

_____
First lateral reflex:

I-or:
It has been known, and well described scientifically, for at least 40 years that high levels of early lateral reflections confuse hearing and should be kept low. However, the conditions in two-channel listening rooms are completely different from concert halls, which is why one should be very careful with comparisons here.

In practice, this means that you should mount absorbers at the first reflection area on the side walls or use textile panels or thick curtains/drapes if you want to optimize your listening room. An area of approx. 0.5-1 m2 is sufficient and in addition it is most important to have good absorption from approx. 1 kHz and up, which is why it is reasonable to have an absorbent thickness of approx. 4 cm. More low-frequency reflections are conveniently handled via equalization.

I-ors respons to this video:

___
Thick carpets on the floor in front of the speakers are, usually, sensible.:)

Edit:
For the topic of the thread OT? In any case, thick carpets and thick curtains can always be placed in the listening/living room.:)

Last edited:
OP
sound67

sound67

PS If the pair you just picked up are the pair I sold on Sunday -- congratulations! They're wonderful, outstanding loudspeakers! You'll love 'em!!! ;)

In all seriousness, they're OK, and not bad for their modest cost... but they're also nothing special, IMO and FWIW. :(
What did you not like about the ELAC's?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What did you not like about the ELAC's?
I didn't care for the tonal balance. They had an artificial sound that didn't appeal to me. They do a nice job of disappearing, though -- i.e., their dispersion was pretty good. Very good for the $. I bought them on a big sale from Amazon in (IIRC) the fall of 2018 for less than $200 (USD) the pair. I bought a pair of Polk R200 when they came out (at an excellent introductory sale price -- but still more than twice the cost, in fairness) and like them much better (FWIW). The latter are rather more US-centric (brand and model), though, I suspect.

OP
sound67

sound67

I think so. The different Polk models aren't really popular around here, but the ELAC speakers are. I don't wanna play the order & return game too much either, and I can't possibly afford the setups I was used to in the early 2000's (5,000$ speakers and $5,000 amp). I'm just looking for pleasing solutions for my two scenarios (bedoom & PC nearfield) at an affordable cost. These past few years I almost exclusively listened with headphones, so "room sound" is something I still have to re-adjust to.

OP
sound67

sound67

For the bedroom I do use a subwoofer (also ELAC Debut), for the PC nearfield I don't think I would need one.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The bedroom isn't that big, 20 square meters (4.5 by 4.5 meters). I could place them 1m (3 feet) from the wall, on stands, angled towards my bed.
Yeah, in nearfield, I have on stands on either side of my desk, angled to center. I am not a big fan of speakers on a desk surface, even if small.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well they have peak around 700 Hz which is resonance and can't really be corrected entirely and a bit bright (not in a good way), other than that they are fine but not ment for near field or desktop anyway.
As DBR62 now sell for introduction price of DB 6.2 and are considerably better you should have gone with them for the room and look for something like Kali LP 6 V2 near field powered monitor's for the desk.

OP
sound67

sound67

Well they have peak around 700 Hz which is resonance and can't really be correct entirely and a bit bright (not in a good way), other than that they are fine but not ment for near field or desktop anyway.
As DBR62 now sell for introduction price of DB 6.2 and are considerably better you should have gone with them for the room and look for something like Kali LP 6 V2 near field powered monitor's for the desk.
I used the Kali LP 6 2nd Wave for a while as nearfield active monitors, but finally decided to have my ADAM A5's repaired (they cost twice as much in 2006 money, and I used those for a professional studio production that finally made it to CD in 2021). And the ADAM's really have more tonal substance compared to the KALI's. Thing is, I'm undecided whether in nearfield active monitors are the better solution or an amp +passive speaker setup is the way to go.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well near field monitor's have a narrower radiation pattern than usual speakers. You probably can regulate this to reasonable amount with full spectrum bandwidth control.
There whose (stil is) option of pasive studio monitors but today they are rare and expensive.

OP
sound67

sound67

The ELACs have arrived and are now breaking in. One question was whether my two small amps (Loxjie A30, Aiyima T9 Pro) can handle a 6 Ohm 86db sensitivity speaker (against my old 8 Ohm 97db Klipschs).

OP
sound67

sound67

And of course, it gets me thinking immediately whether testing these against the ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 or the ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB 5.2 would make sense. That would be the absolute maximum I could afford.

Last edited:
Top Bottom