• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

Teeter

You need a subwoofer. Again, everyone's ears are different. I went through Klipsch bookshelf R51M, then JBL A130, and finally ELAC. Klipsch a bit trebly, JBL to neutral, and ELAC is just right for my ears at high and low volumes. B/4, it was all JBL bookshelf. My current ELACS are great for low or high sound in my room. I am 7 feet way from 55" 4K and front speakers.

Last edited:

MLaranjeiras

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf speaker. It was kindly purchased by a member new and sent to me for testing. It costs US $245 from Amazon including free shipping.

The Debut 2.0 has a decent look:
View attachment 70202

It comes with an external grill that I did not use. But I did leave the tweeter screen in place for testing. It is likely a nod to retailers putting these in showrooms trying to keep fingers away from the delicate tweeter.

The finish is fine except I saw a fine white line above the speaker:
View attachment 70203

Back panel is as you expect:
View attachment 70204

The binding posts as is typical are too close to each other and recessed in this case, making them pretty difficult to turn.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I used over 800 measurement point which was sufficient to compute the sound field of the speaker.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 70205

Overall, this is a rather flat response so response is not going to be too far from neutral.

A sharp resonance sticks out prominently at 700 Hz which you will see later in a number of other measurements.

The woofer is getting directional before the tweeter takes over with its much wider beam width.

Going back to the resonance, I made near field measurements (almost at driver/port location) to see what they each are doing:

View attachment 70206

We see our 700 Hz resonance there as a peak in the woofer response so we know it is coming from that. We can also detect the crossover frequency at near 2 kHz.

There is a bump in tweeter response which seems intentional to give the speaker a bit more "zing."

The port (red) helps fill in the low-bass response.

Back to our "spinorama" here is how the important reflections look in a room:

View attachment 70208

We see a dip in energy around 2 kHz due to directivity error mentioned before. Worst offenders are floor and ceiling reflections so at least a carpet is advised.

Putting everything together, we can plot a hypothetical frequency response in a simulated room:
View attachment 70209

We see our dip in energy around 1 to 2 kHz again and then some increased amount after that.

Distortion response at two different output levels is shown here:
View attachment 70210

Response at 86 dB is very good. At 96 dB we have the woofer getting unhappy around 400 Hz and tweeter screaming as well but that distortion is at pretty high frequencies. In absolute levels we get this:

View attachment 70211

As noted, in this plot I like to see nothing but blank space above 500 Hz. We have some distortion here so not matching our ideals.

Directivity plots are are as follows:

View attachment 70212

I like the overall well behaved response although it is not super wide. We see the same with fancy color graded chart:
View attachment 70213

Vertical directivity is typical of 2-way speakers but while some speakers really fall apart off tweeter axis, here you have about +-20 degrees before response gets worse:

View attachment 70214

Here is our waterfall telling us what we already know with respect to 700 Hz resonance:
View attachment 70215

Finally, we have our impedance chart:
View attachment 70216

Impedance at 5 ohm is above average (a good thing). Once again we see a sign of our 700 Hz resonance in the form of a "kink" in the phase response (red).

Speaker Listening Tests
"5-second" reaction to speaker first playing was neutral. Nothing stood out as broken. Nothing stood out as exceptional. Usually it is one or the other. :)

Listening some more, the sound could be better as it was a bit bright and unexciting for lack of a better term. So I went after it with some Equalization. I first corrected the 700 Hz peak. It seemed to only reduce bass a bit and not much else. I then pulled down the highs a bit, that seemed to make some things worse, some better. So I then went after the mid-range dip and that was helpful:

View attachment 70217

Esse aumento na resposta traz mais ar e detalhes em frequências mais baixas, o que sempre acho bem-vindo. Com isso no lugar, o pull down em 5 kHz (roxo) foi mais útil do que não.

O azul-petróleo é para o quarto, então ignore isso.

Uma vez lá, o orador foi agradável. E o mais importante, ele pode tocar alto, muito alto! É orador mais impressionante a esse respeito. Mesmo tocando um alto-falante, eu poderia fazê-lo quase com níveis de sangramento de ouvido com quase nenhuma distorção!

O desempenho quando o volume necessário era necessário foi muito bom. Acima da média para ter certeza. Mas quando não, era comum. Não de uma maneira ruim, mas não empolgante.

Conclusões
Pelo que li, o designer Andrew Jones tentou adicionar mais alguns agudos a esta segunda iteração do alto-falante B6. Acho essa mudança indesejável, pois deixou o alto-falante um pouco brilhante. Eu posso ver por que isso pode vender alto-falantes, mas não gostei dessa mudança. O principal problema com o alto-falante é a queda na resposta na importante faixa de 1 a 2 kHz. Uma vez corrigido com EQ, e combinado com sua grande capacidade de tocar alto devido ao seu woofer maior que o típico, isso se torna uma oferta competente.

Eu estava dividido como avaliar este alto-falante. Eu poderia dizer "gostei" ou "não sei". Eu poderia ser empurrado para ir com qualquer um. No interesse do tempo e de muitos problemas importantes da vida para ponderar, apenas dei a última classificação de pantera e continuei meu negócio. Se você optar por comprar o ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2, não vou dizer que é uma má decisão.

-----------
Como sempre, perguntas, comentários, recomendações, etc. são bem-vindos.

O tempo está lindo lá fora. Ensolarado, lindo com tanto verde com temperaturas perfeitas. No entanto, estou sentado em alto-falantes de teste interno. Escusado será dizer que isso me deixa deprimido. A única coisa que resolve isso são alguns dólares a mais no meu bolso. Então, por favor, doe o que você pode usando: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
My first impressions is that these ELAC sound like floorstanding speakers in a bookshelf body. The sound makes me remember my vintage floorstanding speakers, each one with two 8 inch woofer, a 38mm radiant dome midrange and a 19mm radiant dome tweeter. Dali Spektor 2 are more fun for my ears.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 15.03.01 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 15.03.01 (3).jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 144

beansound

I am in strange situation choosing my first speakers for "home cinema" in the average sized living room. Reason is in my region Triangle Borea BR03 is in the same price category as Elac these B6.2, while the rest of internet seems to compare BR03 to the (much more expensive for me) Elac DBR62.

So my question to you, whats your view on Elac B6.2 vs Triangle Borea BR03?

Teeter

I am in strange situation choosing my first speakers for "home cinema" in the average sized living room. Reason is in my region Triangle Borea BR03 is in the same price category as Elac these B6.2, while the rest of internet seems to compare BR03 to the (much more expensive for me) Elac DBR62.

So my question to you, whats your view on Elac B6.2 vs Triangle Borea BR03?

What is your review on the speakers and within your budget? Everyone's ears are not the same. Do you have a center channel and surrounds? Then, do you have a subwoofer? For home Cinema, you will want a complete system to enjoy the full benefits of movies. What AVR have you selected?

MLaranjeiras

Never heard Triangle Borea BR03. Its wieght is13,22 lbs. I have the Elac B6.2. Its wieght is 16.31 lbs. My room is around 11 m². Elac bass is superb. A neutral speaker. Not that oooh!, like my Dali Spektor 2, that is more than enough for moderate listening, but very honest.

frki16

these speakers need proper run in period. I have noticed obvious improvement over first 100 hours (didn't measured precisely).

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
these speakers need proper run in period. I have noticed obvious improvement over first 100 hours (didn't measured precisely).
Thanks for starting my Sunday morning with laugh! You should use /s at the end of sarcastic posts. Also, welcome to ASR. Seriously. I think you’ll get a lot out of it if you stick around. :)

Hiten

Hi all,
was just browsing old measurements threads. Pl. see individual driver response measurements first Elac

index.php

Wharfedale
index.php

are wharfedales with steeper crossover or just different measurement method ? What are the crossover order for both speakers ?
thanks.
edit : Got the crossover order.

Last edited:

Hiten

OK. Got that. wharfedale are biamplifiable so were tested such way. Port of wharfedales also looks like well tuned and conservative compared to Elacs which are little lower and levels higher. Probably may be the cause of port distortion ?
regards.

reddono

would be possible to is this Elac on a computer desktop, with me at 80 cm from them?

pine_view

Are these tweeters symmetrical horizontal/vertical? They *look* like it, but there are no dispersion characteristics to be found.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From my point of view, the best quality of this speaker is its rigid protective grille, plus a metal grille on the tweeter, these are incredibly appreciated features when you have a 14 month old who goes around sticking his fingers in all the wrong places .
For the rest, they replaced kef Q350s in that position and I miss kefs, I can't even say why but I've never been able to fall in love with the sound of these speakers, but at least I can listen to music without anxiety, and my baby can even throwing cars at it without me shedding tears
IMG_20230220_232619.jpg

Brab

I've been frustrated with the sound of this speaker for a while, but recently I switched to a new Yamaha receiver which surprisingly has a much better amplifier section than the Pioneer Elite's which it replaced. The receiver allows me to cut off the input to the Elacs at 80 Hz (I use a subwoofer) and below which removes the boominess and coloration from the Elacs, and overall provides a more naturalistic sound. Right now I'm happy with them.

Last edited:

MLaranjeiras

I've been frustrated with the sound of this speaker for a while, but recently I switched to a new Yamaha receiver which surprisingly has a much better amplifier section than the Pioneer Elite's which it replaced. The receiver allows me to cut off the input to the Elacs at 80 Hz (I use a subwoofer) and below which removes the boominess and coloration from the Elacs, and overall provides a more naturalistic sound. Right now I'm happy with them.

I watched a street show yesterday night on a big stage and, despite a really love the sound of my other speakers, Paradigm Premier 200B and Dali Spektor 2, that have excelent mids and highs, the bass and mids are more present on the show and the same I listen on the ELAC.

Attachments

• P_20230220_233300.jpg
    P_20230220_233300.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 81
  • P_20230220_151533.jpg
    P_20230220_151533.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 87
Just wonderin' if anyone has tried modifications to this speaker and can comment on results:
1. Careful removal of the tweeter mesh grille. GR Research mentioned this improved the treble response.
2. Addition of dampening material to the midwoofer pressed steel frame legs. The frame legs ping noticeably. Which dampening material is best?
(1) can be done within waranty period. (2) probably best done after warranty period expires.
Thanks in advance, Trevor.

Teeter

Do what GR suggests or write them.

For older Version B6

Dampening Material:

My ELAC's are driven by a Denon AVR as my speakers are used mainly for DD 5.1 home theatre. My AVR is tied into internet music and all types of music sound acceptable to me. My Elac's have a nice balance, right from the mfg. They were within my budget range at the time.

Experiment with your idea, if no specific replies to your post, and report back with your findings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom