• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

arunthegr8

I was looking to add an Elac Debut 6.2 or Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 as an on wall surround speaker for my Home Theatre setup. Where I live it is only a 100$ difference between the speakers. Price being no bar which one these two speakers would you recommend for a Home Theatre surround sound speaker? From what I am reading the Debut 6.2. seems to be more dynamic than the DBR-62 which is more rounded off for music. Please let me know your reccomendations.

Teeter

I was looking to add an Elac Debut 6.2 or Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 as an on wall surround speaker for my Home Theatre setup. Where I live it is only a 100$ difference between the speakers. Price being no bar which one these two speakers would you recommend for a Home Theatre surround sound speaker? From what I am reading the Debut 6.2. seems to be more dynamic than the DBR-62 which is more rounded off for music. Please let me know your rec
I have the 6.2 for L & R fronts. Then have the C5.2 as center channel. I really like my ELAC's as my mains and should sound superb as surrounds. I watch a lot of DD movies and listen to internet net music in stereo mode. My basement room is 8 X 14 with listening distance of approx. 7 feet from the mains and 55" TV. I consider the ELAC Debuts a solid investment for my room.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a bit OT, but I see many people asking for suggestions on good quality speakers to use as surround, in my experience the surround tracks are barely sound backgrounds (chatter and cutlery in a restaurant, noise of cars and traffic in the street and some soundtrack accompaniment) so I don't think it's worth investing huge sums of money, two barely decent speakers are really enough and you won't hear any difference with much better speakers for what they reproduce

Hi All, does someone have the crossover design for the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2?
I'm going to build a 1/1 mimic of the original crossover with high end parts (for fun).
The resistors and capacitors I know the values of, however no info on the inductance for the coils.
Ordered an LCR inductance meter but this is not in yet.

Thx for any feedback. Peter.
Hi Peter, did you measure the inductance values?

afternine

Reputed in many circles to be a Very Good Idea.
I never tried it, though.
Yep, removed the grilles from twitters and they come more "alive", less dull and subdued.
The guy here PressReader.com - Elac Debut B6.2 review australia measured them with and without main cloth grille. There's distinct difference in higher freq. response between cloth and no cloth. Similarly, the metal grille affects the sound dispersion and frequency response.

And for anyone that would like to try to pry the metal grilles off but are afraid to damage something - just pull them out with a plastic or wooden pick bit by bit in a circular manner around the twitter and the grille should come off without damage and can be reinstalled/pushed back into place if wanted. But once you hear them without you'll discard the grilles.

Teeter

Okay, I will recalibrate ALL the speakers, w/o their grills. :facepalm: Gees

Update 1/18/24: I took the grills off the mains plus the center channel. No room recalibration and I think there is a difference. I will take the SS grills off today. My mind said there was a sound improvement. :facepalm:

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
I actually had to increase treble using EQ when using these as computer speakers. The off-axis sound is so dull compared to other speakers in the same scenario. And since I have more listening positions than just the computer chair I can't toe-in.

And the cabinet just screams "cheap" when you tap it.

I'm still deciding whether to let them perform living room duty or just let them go. Direct sound directivity is certainly going to suck, but maybe in a scenario with lots of reflections the shortcomings may be reduced?

Teeter

I actually had to increase treble using EQ when using these as computer speakers. The off-axis sound is so dull compared to other speakers in the same scenario. And since I have more listening positions than just the computer chair I can't toe-in.

And the cabinet just screams "cheap" when you tap it.

I'm still deciding whether to let them perform living room duty or just let them go. Direct sound directivity is certainly going to suck, but maybe in a scenario with lots of reflections the shortcomings may be reduced?
You might want to go back to your previous speakers and put the Elac's on Craigs list. These ELAC's may not be right for your NEAR listening pleasure. I assume you have them 6 feet[min] apart, tweeters at ear level and at least 6feet[min] distance, from listening seating.

Top Bottom