• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC DBR-62 Corner Positioning

dfgoiuj

My living room is fairly square at 3.8m x 4.2m. At the moment, I have my ELACs sat on the TV cabinet close to the wall and approximately 1.6m apart (centre to centre), while my most common listening position is a little over 3m away, forming a narrow triangle. The system is corrected with DRC and sounds great to me, but doesn't have a particularly wide and enveloping soundstage. I'd like to improve this.

Because of the unfortunate positioning of a door, my only real option of separating the speakers more is to mount them on the wall in the corners of the room, which would put them at roughly 3.5m apart. I imagine they'd need toeing in a little, and I'd probably have to raise them slightly to keep them out of reach of my toddler, meaning they'd need tilting slightly forward, too.

I don't have the luxury of sitting the speakers in this position to see how I'd get on, so I'm asking how terrible an idea this is before I buy some mounts and bust the drill out (FWIW, I'm looking at the B-Tech BT77). Am I actually more likely to do harm to the soundstage by having them each so close to two walls, or is DRC likely to make this less of an issue? Sorry, I know this isn't a lot to go on for my unique setup, so I suppose this is more a general query about the effects of room correction on corner positioning and soundstage.

Thanks

ppataki

Major Contributor
I currently have a Murphy's Corner Line Array system in our living room
I was very much afraid of putting speakers in corners since that is 'from the devil'

But if you have DRC in place, don't worry, it shall flatten the peaks caused by corner placement
Soundstage will be much wider but it will not be deep (depending on how far the speakers will be from the front wall)
I totally enjoy my 3.5 meter wide soundstage and I could quickly let the depth go (note that you will still be able to tell if some instruments are behind others but the sensation will be less articulate). I guess this whole depth topic is very much subjective and depends very heavily on the recording too

Also I need to add that my previous setup (12" fullrange speakers with 12" subs each) was also placed in the corners just to test if it was 'from the devil' and as it turned out it was totally not, hence I decided that I will try the Murphy's Corner Line Array as my next system

OP
D

dfgoiuj

I currently have a Murphy's Corner Line Array system in our living room
I was very much afraid of putting speakers in corners since that is 'from the devil'

But if you have DRC in place, don't worry, it shall flatten the peaks caused by corner placement
Soundstage will be much wider but it will not be deep (depending on how far the speakers will be from the front wall)
I totally enjoy my 3.5 meter wide soundstage and I could quickly let the depth go (note that you will still be able to tell if some instruments are behind others but the sensation will be less articulate). I guess this whole depth topic is very much subjective and depends very heavily on the recording too

Also I need to add that my previous setup (12" fullrange speakers with 12" subs each) was also placed in the corners just to test if it was 'from the devil' and as it turned out it was totally not, hence I decided that I will try the Murphy's Corner Line Array as my next system
Thanks, your system looks (and I'm sure sounds) incredible! I'd like to try one of these too, but once I get a home I plan on settling in.

I was mainly concerned with early reflections blurring the soundstage, which after reading a bit of your thread appears to be why the drivers in your array are as close to the corners as possible. Although, you say your previous speakers weren't problematic in this configuration, so perhaps DRC can largely negate this.

Top Bottom