• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac concentro S503 bookshelf

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Elac launched an expensive speaker

I'm not sure about his price.
3 way coaxial but with jet driver from elac :p
2 mar 2022
concentros503trainingrev010de.jpg

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

Can be ''error-measurement'' the dip around 6khz? looks weird.. aside from these dips the speaker is not that bad
(The price is around 7000 USD ~?)

This bookshelf extend quite deep (can be this room?, because hifi-voice has a lot of different rooms, it's quite hard to compare the bass) and also the THD is 2nd harmonic dominated. Good.
2022-02-28-TST-ELAC-Concentro-S-503-m8.png

Distortion of 2nd (yellow) and 3rd (orange) harmonics
That's a big bookshelf lol

2022-02-28-TST-ELAC-Concentro-S-503-2.jpg

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we have any prices yet?
6kHz is probably the x-over from mid to tweeter.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spy a Elac LP in the back. Any info on that?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can be ''error-measurement'' the dip around 6khz? looks weird.. aside from these dips the speaker is not that bad
(The price is around 7000 USD ~?)
Can, but such on-axis high frequency dip is often on most coaxials except Genelec or KEF and imho 7000 USD is quite overpriced, from measurement point of view probably a Genelec One, KEF R or Ref would beat it for such or less money.
Do we have any prices yet?
6kHz is probably the x-over from mid to tweeter.
In Germany price is around 7000€ and crossover frequencies are at 400 and 2600 Hz.

Reactions: MAB

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Germany price is around 7000€ and crossover frequencies are at 400 and 2600 Hz.
Hefty price.
But since the measurement method is flawed, we should not dismiss Elac right away.

outfaced

elac adante AS-61 was a flop ... now they try something better, but not sure if the price is justified ... only because you have the AMT in the coax.
AS-61 started at 3000€ and only a year or so was on discount for half the price.
There is rivew from Amir i think.

Test: ELAC Concentro S 503

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... not sure if the price is justified ... only because you have the AMT in the coax.
It's unique, we have to give them that.

Arnas

Bass must be very good considering the size and capable bass drivers.
Dont know about mid driver, but im sure amt is much faster and have less distortion than its main competitors in Kef ref1 meta and Sopra 1.
Bass also will be better im sure about that.
If you have great bass that wont need sub i think they have a winner on their hands.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the name if the ribbon tweeter “JET 5c” because its gonna take off like a jet, thus that 45° treble spike :p ??

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks kinda cool but measurements aren't promising, limited as they are. Maybe some adventurous soul will send one to Amir. Until then I'd personally avoid them. Elac does not have a great track record with coaxials IMO.

3125b

Major Contributor
Oh wow, do they cost more than 50€?

That is one of the worst measuring speakers I've ever seen. Whoever signed off on that must be deaf, there is no other explanation.

Last edited:

Frewat

Elac Concentro S503 Center MLP.jpg
Hi!

This are my first post. I have been a lurker for quite sometime and I felt that I wanted to share my experience with these loudspeakers since they measure so poorly in every review that I have seen.

I was able to borrow these from a hifi store for a week to try these at home.

I used a Umik-1 and REW to make these measurements. They are measured in room, about 3,5 m on axis.

The cyan line is with subs, the purple without subs and the brown is without subs but still with the 80hz crossover.

The over all experience with these are quite good actually. I feel that they would need a little lift in the lower tremble tough to balance it out sound wise. They sounded quite dark with a bit of sparkle up in the higher tremble region.

They are definitely not made to be sitting to close to, since they measure more poorly the closer you get.

I hope this helps to sparkle more discussion:)

Kind regards

3125b

Major Contributor
So it seems to be an on-axis only issue. Still, at 7000€/pair for passive bookshelves there should be no issues whatsoever.

Top Bottom